Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 14:41 It is currently 15 May 2024, 14:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [0]
Given Kudos: 573
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Should I retake the Gmat? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Eladt

Unfortunately I do think that you need to retake the test period the average for UCLA is 719. For them to go significantly below that you still need to show that you can keep up with the coursework and that your communication skills are up to par, and if you can satisfy those criteria, you need to bring something major to the table that would be so irreplaceable they're willing to take a hit to their GMAT average for you. You mentioned that you are an international student, but not sure from where. If you're from a highly under represented country than that takes a little bit of pressure off as long as you demonstrate aptitude to handle the coursework and keep up in class. If you are Chinese or Indian, then you'll need a score that is well above the average.

I think it's wise to think of yourself as the rule and not the exception. To avoid disappointment.

And I don't think that you would be competitive for scholarships at this school with this score because generally those go to people who are diverse or have a GMAT that is above the average. I think you might be limiting yourself about how much higher you can get, try some new strategies hire a tutor get into a study group do some new things change the inputs going in this project. Another possibility is to take the sample GRE exam on the Manhattan GMAT site and see if that comes out better period even though many struggle of the GMAT for several years sometimes they can take the GRE without any preparation at all and have a better score.

I'm not really sure what you mean by how this would limit your ability to excel in your career but if you have some good stories already and some quantifiable accomplishments, proof of impact than the test score is a bigger priority. V32 is just too low; as someone who was a verbal tutor for 18 years I know it’s possible to change the game once you have some better strategies.

Eladt wrote:
Hi all,

I would appreciate any comments and thoughts on my status/dilemma !

I got 670 on the Gmat I took last summer (3rd attempt), and thinking about retaking the Gmat to apply to Anderson on October 2019.
I am 32, international student, graduated from an elite university program in my country, with 6 years in military service, 3 years in consulting, and vast volunteering experience.

Till the deadlines, I believe I can improve my score, but not in an extraordinary manner (up to 700 max).
However, it will certainly affect the progress and development I can achieve in my career.

Does is worth it?
Does this score sufficiently qualifies as a prospect candidate for Anderson?
And can I even consider thinking about scholarships in light of my profile? (hence the improvement is necessary)

Thanks to all the respondents!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Eladt,

First off, a 670/Q49 is a strong score, so it could be enough to get you into Anderson. As such, a retest might not be necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's certainly no harm in retaking the GMAT. As it stands, you're closer to a 700+ than you probably realize - but you'll have to make some adjustments to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Verbal section to earn that higher Score on Test Day. If you're interested in discussing a potential Study Plan, then I'll be happy to offer some suggestions.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22235 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Eladt,

Given that your GMAT score is almost 50 points below the average for Anderson, I agree that a retake is necessary. Would you consider a retake? If so, do you need some advice regarding your study plan?

You also may find it helpful to read this article: How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.
GMAT Club Bot