GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should I switch my job?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Should I switch my job?   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 09:57
Profile Evaluation

Nationality – Indian
Gender – Male
Age – 24
GMAT – 740
Education - Bsc.
Distance PGDM International Business     Experience - Working with Accenture as Quality Analyst for last 3 years.
I have worked on various projects for some major financial institutions such as Bank of America, Sunlife Financials and Citi Bank.

Volunteers experience - I have been involved as a SCOUT since my school days. I led various rallies on rural education and betterment in India. I led a successful fund raising campaign for an govt. registered Orphanage house.

Question: My brother runs a small restaurant in Germany, he is planning to expand his business.He needs someone who can help him out. So,I am planning to visit Germany to help my brother in his restaurant business. Will this managing a restaurant business experience be helpful to me in my profile evaluation? Or should I stick to my regular job at Accenture?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Should I switch my job?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 05:38
Hey sehdev0202
Thanks for posting. Interesting conundrum there. To be fair, b-schools valued employer brands and Accenture will be more interesting to them than your brother's restaurant. UNLESS your brother's restaurant is a multi-million dollar venture with multiple outposts. (You say "small" though so...) Now, I say this thinking about Top 30 b-schools. If you are open to schools outside the Top 30, you have more flexibility. Also, what's most important is that you are happy!! If going to Germany and working with your brother will make you happier than other options, go for it! But just realize that top b-schools may not find that path as interesting as more traditional pre-MBA career paths.

How about a compromise? Could you somehow convince Accenture to transfer you to Germany to work locally on a project? (Start applying for projects close to where your brother is.) That gets you international experience -- always a bonus! -- and gives you the chance to help your brother out on the weekends.

Hope that helps!
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 23:00
sehdev0202 I agree - the brand names demonstrate that you are highly vetted and they have power.
However mbaMissionKrista what if he goes in and turns it around so it's achieving unprecedented growth....obtain funding...more locations etc? Kind of like a successful turn around story? Riskier but potentially the culmination of all he learned at Accenture....putting it to the test. Thoughts?

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 23:40
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

sehdev0202 wrote:

That's some great advice!
I'd also factor in the timing of the MBA in this, Sehdev. If you are looking at the next year for joining an MBA, then you'd probably not have enough time to make a solid impact on the restaurant business by October 2018/ Jan 2019. Sticking around in Accenture makes more sense then.

However, if the MBA plan is felxible then you could try your luck with the restaurant business for a couple of years, (hopefully) make big impact and then apply to business school as a successful entrepreneur.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

We are accepting applicants for mid-October/November deadlines

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 12:49
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
sehdev0202 I agree - the brand names demonstrate that you are highly vetted and they have power.
However mbaMissionKrista what if he goes in and turns it around so it's achieving unprecedented growth....obtain funding...more locations etc? Kind of like a successful turn around story? Riskier but potentially the culmination of all he learned at Accenture....putting it to the test. Thoughts?

What if I couldn't make a major impact over the restaurant business, will it be still counted as entrepreneurial experience? Will it affect my application in any possible way?
I am planning to apply in Sep-oct 2019.
I still got 1.5 years to plan.
What do you suggest?

Sent from my D6603 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 20:03
I would say if the move to the restaurant business better aligns with what you plan to ultimately do with your career post-MBA it could be seen as a positive if you are able to make and impact and gain some strong interpersonal experience in the process even in the face of the failure. If you jumped to the restaurant, it failed and it does not align with your career goals it may come across as an odd move

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 20:43
MBAPrepCoach
VeritasPrepDozie
mbaMissionKrista

What if I have a combination of brands and family business in my resume? How will schools looks at that? Do Bschools want students whose 'whose last worked' firm is a brand or is the experience ok at any stage of their career?
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 19:40
I don't think it necessarily matters if your last firm worked is a brand name or not. I think what matters more is that each role you take on leads to increasing responsibility and/or gets you closer to your to your ultimate career goal. A mix of experiences is fine, just preferable that your career trajectory makes sense

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 06:22
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I would say if the move to the restaurant business better aligns with what you plan to ultimately do with your career post-MBA it could be seen as a positive if you are able to make and impact and gain some strong interpersonal experience in the process even in the face of the failure. If you jumped to the restaurant, it failed and it does not align with your career goals it may come across as an odd move

Thanks for the advice.
I work as Quality Analyst, I don't get much opportunity to manage other resources. I am looking for some more responsible role where I can challenge my self.I just completed my PGDM (distance) and I want to utilize this knowledge into this restaurant business.
So keeping this in mind, does this seems like an odd move?

G

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 20:08
I would say it does not seem like an odd move given that information. What are your post-MBA plans?

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Should I switch my job?   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 21:09
Post MBA I want to work as a business strategy consultant.
Working as an IT professional in India, puts me into the situation where chances of getting selected by top b schools are quite less. So to give my profile a diverse look and to gain international exposure are also the reasons I want to work with my brother in restaurant business rather than doing the same quality analyst job.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 21:13
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I would say it does not seem like an odd move given that information. What are your post-MBA plans?

Post MBA I want to work as a business strategy consultant.
Working as an IT professional in India, puts me into the situation where chances of getting selected by top b schools are quite less. So to give my profile a diverse look and to gain international exposure are also the reasons I want to work with my brother in restaurant business rather than doing the same quality analyst job.

Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern' 2012

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 12:25
sehdev0202 wrote:
Profile Evaluation

Nationality – Indian
Gender – Male
Age – 24
GMAT – 740
Education - Bsc.
Distance PGDM International Business     Experience - Working with Accenture as Quality Analyst for last 3 years.
I have worked on various projects for some major financial institutions such as Bank of America, Sunlife Financials and Citi Bank.

Volunteers experience - I have been involved as a SCOUT since my school days. I led various rallies on rural education and betterment in India. I led a successful fund raising campaign for an govt. registered Orphanage house.

Question: My brother runs a small restaurant in Germany, he is planning to expand his business.He needs someone who can help him out. So,I am planning to visit Germany to help my brother in his restaurant business. Will this managing a restaurant business experience be helpful to me in my profile evaluation? Or should I stick to my regular job at Accenture?

Hi Sehdev,
I would ask you to first introspect on what you are looking for and trying to get out of an MBA. In traditional sense, yes bigger brand names may help you in B School applications but you would be better served if you knew what you wanted more clearly. Perhaps the restaurant experience can help you better if you are thinking of entrepreneurship, operational roles down the line.
I always advise candidates to not rush into MBA. Do few things you love and figure out if MBA makes sense. In case you have done this introspection and wish to get into a top school and a traditional MBA career afterwards, I agree with other advice offered here.

A question that might help you to start introspecting is - Did you enjoy working with these banks and corporations when you were at Accenture? What kind of responsibilities do you enjoy?
Hope you are catching my drift.

I'm a big believer in MBA but only when done at the right juncture in your career.

More on this here - Why should anyone do an MBA - Quora

Nistha Tripathi | Scholar Strategy
MBA dropout from NYU Stern, Happy Careers Mentor

http://scholarstrategy.com/why-should-anyone-do-an-mba/
Email: nistha at scholarstrategy dot com

G

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 14:34
I would say if you feel like this change would afford you an opportunity to diversify your skills, take on more management responsibility, and set you up for a career as a business consultant I think it could make sense. You just want to make sure you are thinking through your "story" in full if you for sure have plans on applying to b-school. If you think you can explain it and have it fit cohesively into your career story come application time that is the key here. But once on the job keep in mind how important your performance and the results/impact you drive will be when schools assess this experience

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I switch my job? &nbs [#permalink] 14 Mar 2018, 14:34

Should I switch my job?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap