It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we hav

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1129 [0], given: 547

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member
Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 05:39
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

6% (02:59) correct 94% (01:28) wrong based on 82

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

20% (01:01) correct 80% (01:02) wrong based on 59

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

21% (01:59) correct 79% (01:23) wrong based on 58

Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we have them before us? Should we find them too different from our accent of thought, of feeling, of speech, in a thousand minute particulars which are of the essence of all three? Dr. Doran's long and interesting records of the triumphs of Garrick, and other less familiar, but in their day hardly less astonishing, players, do not relieve one of the doubt. Garrick himself, as sometimes happens with people who have been the subject of much anecdote and other conversation, here as elsewhere, bears no very distinct figure. One hardly sees the wood for the trees. On the other hand, the account of Betterton, "perhaps the greatest of English actors," is delightfully fresh. That intimate friend of Dryden, Tillatson, Pope, who executed a copy of the actor's portrait by Kneller which is still extant, was worthy of their friendship; his career brings out the best elements in stage life. The stage in these volumes presents itself indeed not merely as a mirror of life, but as an illustration of the utmost intensity of life, in the fortunes and characters of the players. Ups and downs, generosity, dark fates, the most delicate goodness, have nowhere been more prominent than in the private existence of those devoted to the public mimicry of men and women. Contact with the stage, almost throughout its history, presents itself as a kind of touchstone, to bring out the bizarrerie, the theatrical tricks and contrasts, of the actual world.

1. In the expression �One hardly sees the wood for the trees�, the author apparently intends the word trees to be analogous to

A. features of Doran�s language style
B. details learned from oral sources
C. personality of a famous actor
D. detail�s of Garrick�s life
E. stage triumphs of an astonishing player

2. The doubt referred to in line 7 concerns whether

A. the stage personalities of the past would appeal on a personal level to people like the author
B. their contemporaries would have understood famous actors
C. the acting of famous stage personalities would appeal to us today
D. Garrick was as great as he is portrayed
E. historical records can reveal personality

3. Information supplied in the passage is sufficient to answer which of the following questions?
I Who did Doran think was probably the best English actor?
II What did Doran think of Garrick?
III Would the author give a definite answer to the first question posed in the passage?
A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1129 [0], given: 547

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q39 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.15
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Health Care)
Re: Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 22:42
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we have them before us? Should we find them too different from our accent of thought, of feeling, of speech, in a thousand minute particulars which are of the essence of all three? Dr. Doran's long and interesting records of the triumphs of Garrick, and other less familiar, but in their day hardly less astonishing, players, do not relieve one of the doubt. Garrick himself, as sometimes happens with people who have been the subject of much anecdote and other conversation, here as elsewhere, bears no very distinct figure. One hardly sees the wood for the trees. On the other hand, the account of Betterton, "perhaps the greatest of English actors," is delightfully fresh. That intimate friend of Dryden, Tillatson, Pope, who executed a copy of the actor's portrait by Kneller which is still extant, was worthy of their friendship; his career brings out the best elements in stage life. The stage in these volumes presents itself indeed not merely as a mirror of life, but as an illustration of the utmost intensity of life, in the fortunes and characters of the players. Ups and downs, generosity, dark fates, the most delicate goodness, have nowhere been more prominent than in the private existence of those devoted to the public mimicry of men and women. Contact with the stage, almost throughout its history, presents itself as a kind of touchstone, to bring out the bizarrerie, the theatrical tricks and contrasts, of the actual world.

1. In the expression �One hardly sees the wood for the trees�, the author apparently intends the word trees to be analogous to

A. the stage personalities of the past would appeal on a personal level to people like the author

3. Information supplied in the passage is sufficient to answer which of the following questions?
III Would the author give a definite answer to the first question posed in the passage?
A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Number 3 really stumped me. mikemcgarry

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 21:56
How do I take notes while reading this passage.. can you help with the though process while answering each question

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 222

GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 23:58
rishit1080 wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Number 3 really stumped me. mikemcgarry

Passage provide necessary answer in line 2, 3 and 4. but it did not provide any answer-what Doran think of garrick.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 222

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 05:52
Can someone explain the first question and its answer. thanks.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 16:58
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you please provide official explanations for each of the questions as I found this passage very difficult to comprehend.
GMATNinja
Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Re: Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we hav   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2017, 16:58

Should we really care for the greatest actors of the past could we hav

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap