GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 01:46
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

I was able to correctly identify main conclusion of argument as :
Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic

The think that tricked me is to catch purpose of however
that followed main conclusion.

Also, in typical bold face question, do we not link bold face to
main conclusion than linking it to a conclusion (say conclusion of
depositors in this eg as in (A)

Look at the entire sentence:
"Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company..."

"however" is the connector for "such reasoning might well be overoptimistic" with the part of the argument before it.
You could just as well place it before like this: "However, such reasoning might well be overoptimistic,"
"However" shows contrast with the argument before it.

The connector "since" and what follows gives the reason for why such reasoning may be overoptimistic.

The role played by the sentence in bold depends on the argument. If the argument has a main conclusion and a sub conclusion, a sentence in bold could support either, be against either or be either.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 18:28
Blackishmamba wrote:
Could anyone please explain where am I making mistake in reasoning?

I eliminated choice A for following reason:

A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

"several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank" : This evidence is taken as a support of a conclusion.
"since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health": This part doesn't question the support : evidence. This is revealing a flaw in reasoning of depositors, or in other words it provides the reason to question the conclusion made by depositors. Hence, I eliminated choice A.

Posted from my mobile device

let me also try to pitch in my thoughts on this.
Quote:
This part doesn't question the support : evidence

you are right here and in addition since it is an evidence/fact(it actually happened ) the author can't question it.

As rightly mentioned by you
Quote:
This is revealing a flaw in reasoning of depositors, or in other words it provides the reason to question the conclusion made by depositors.

The author is questioning the link between this evidence and the conclusion drawn by the depositors.

"that support" is the link between evidence and the conclusion made by the depositors.
"that support" is not the evidence itself

for example: person A was murdered by someone and person B's pistol was found at the scene of the crime.

Now based on this police concluded that the murder was done by person B.I(using the evidence to support the conclusion)

Now the defence attorney is questioning the support by saying that the person B's pistol was stolen few days ago, so he is questioning the link(support) between the evidence and the conclusion. He is not questioning the evidence.

Hope it is clear

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

Re: QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top &nbs [#permalink] 13 Aug 2018, 18:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap