GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jan 2019, 08:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar

Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Dec 2018, 04:49
Can anyone please suggest Which school to choose.
Both Schools are alike.

Situation:
WP CAREY: Admitted with 100% scholarship and Graduate Assistant Ship. So total Cost for MBA would be around $24k. (Accommodation expenses for 2 years, give and take)

Smeal: Havn't received the mail but same as WP Carey.
Applied to only these two schools because I can't afford a heavy loan burden of MBA.

Post MBA Goal is: Consulting (Supply Chain OR B2B Marketing)
Both Schools provide good resources for Supply Chain and B2b Marketing.

I have no constraint of location. Whether for studying or Post MBA Placement. Being an International candidate my concern is Post MBA employment.
When I spoke to candidates from both the schools, my Experience pretty good.

How to decide? Please help !
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.


Originally posted by D3N0 on 11 Dec 2018, 07:11.
Last edited by D3N0 on 21 Dec 2018, 04:49, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Status: Gmat journey
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 95
Location: Chile
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 08:14
post MBA carreer goal?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 08:40
Supply Chain Consulting..

cesarucv wrote:
post MBA carreer goal?

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 71
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 04:05
D3N0 wrote:
Can anyone please suggest Which school to choose.
Both Schools are alike.

I am confused. Please help. I have no constraint of location and all.
Being an International candidate my concern is Post MBA employment. Smeal is good but in last few years Carey also done well.

So please help.


My suggestion would be Smeal for supply chain hands down. I have had some friends who graduated from Smeal and have done exceedingly well at companies like Amazon in Supply Chain. Also with that scholarship also its a better option.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Status: Gmat journey
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 95
Location: Chile
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 08:57
D3N0 wrote:
Supply Chain Consulting..

cesarucv wrote:
post MBA carreer goal?



I would go for Smeal here, it is better in Supply Chain and better in Consulting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2018, 09:28
Dear All,

Any Advice Please??

D3N0 wrote:
Can anyone please suggest Which school to choose. Both Schools are alike.

I am confused. Please help. I have no constraint of location or any other things at all.
Being an International candidate my concern is Post MBA employment. Smeal is good but in last few years Carey also has done well.

So please help.

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.


Originally posted by D3N0 on 14 Dec 2018, 16:26.
Last edited by D3N0 on 20 Dec 2018, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 22:49
Dear Somesh,

Thank you for responding. I am also inclined toward Smeal. I was speaking to one of the alumni and he said because of the Alumni efforts Smeal was able to place 100% of its International Students. This actually helps as of the current VISA issues for International Candidates.

somesh86 wrote:
D3N0 wrote:
Can anyone please suggest Which school to choose.
Both Schools are alike.

I am confused. Please help. I have no constraint of location and all.
Being an International candidate my concern is Post MBA employment. Smeal is good but in last few years Carey also done well.

So please help.


My suggestion would be Smeal for supply chain hands down. I have had some friends who graduated from Smeal and have done exceedingly well at companies like Amazon in Supply Chain. Also with that scholarship also its a better option.

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2002
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2018, 03:05
D3N0 wrote:
Can anyone please suggest Which school to choose.
Both Schools are alike.

I am confused. Please help. I have no constraint of location and all.
Being an International candidate my concern is Post MBA employment. Smeal is good but in last few years Carey also done well.

So please help.



Hi D3N0

I'm happy to assist you. You can go into my previous comments about supply chain/ operation

https://gmatclub.com/forum/msu-broad-vs ... en%20Broad

https://gmatclub.com/forum/scm-broad-ca ... en%20Broad

https://gmatclub.com/forum/kelley-vs-ol ... en%20Broad

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ohio-state-f ... n%20fisher


If you still have any question, do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 02:07
Hi Mo2men ,

Thank you for your post. I have gone through the links you have provided. Points I still am searching data for are:

1. Although I have no location constraint on Post MBA Employment Location, It would be great to get a position in California.
2. SMEAL and WP CAREY both has approx same % of Job placement for class of 2016 graduated in 2018. Smeal had class size of approx 80 and Carey had approx 120. But average gmat score at WP Carey is +680 while it is 660 at SMEAL. This makes difference in class quality.
3. Electives at CAREY are more in numbers, including the Mentorship program and Data analytics focused courses.
4. Smeal has good connections with consulting firms which hire from Smeal regularly and also hire International Candidates. about 20% class went into consulting last year. While from CAREY only 10% went into consulting. (Date from Recent employment Reports)


Mo2men wrote:
Hi D3N0
I'm happy to assist you. You can go into my previous comments about supply chain/ operation
If you still have any question, do not hesitate to ask.
Good luck

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2002
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 03:59
Hi D3N0

I have some comments that might help you.

Quote:
1. Although I have no location constraint on Post MBA Employment Location, It would be great to get a position in California.


If you prefer to work in CA, then Carey is your choice. Be close as possible to your dream location to have access. 3 years ago, I recall a student in Smeal who was disappointed as her dream was to work in Starbucks that does recruit from Smeal but does from Carey ( As I remember, she rejected Carey).

Quote:
2. SMEAL and WP CAREY both has approx same % of Job placement for class of 2016 graduated in 2018. Smeal had class size of approx 80 and Carey had approx 120. But average gmat score at WP Carey is +680 while it is 660 at SMEAL. This makes difference in class quality.


This is no mendatory correct. There is another stats I read one year before that Smael is very very picky. Also, do not forget that Carey offer full ride for all its students that make it attractive to huge number of applicants. So it is natural to see high GMAT score.

Quote:
3. Electives at CAREY are more in numbers, including the Mentorship program and Data analytics focused courses.


I agree with you. If it is the case and you love Carey's curriculum then it is clear that Carey provides you with what you want. Also BS is poweful add-on to SCM.

Quote:
4. Smeal has good connections with consulting firms which hire from Smeal regularly and also hire International Candidates. about 20% class went into consulting last year. While from CAREY only 10% went into consulting. (Date from Recent employment Reports)


Based on percentage and class profile you mention above, the total recruited in Smeal=16 & total recruited from Carey= 12, So insignificant by numbers. Do not stuck with those number as it may change in near future. I'm weakening your argument now :lol: :lol:


Good luck
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 202
Reviews Badge
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 06:53
I was very impressed with the Carey students at a supply chain case comp I was a part of. They've won it in consecutive years which is particularly impressive considering the simulation conditions change each year.

I don't think there are many large differences in the programs, but the locations couldn't be more different. PSU is in the middle of nowhere, and the entire town is built around the university. If I recall correctly, PSU's enrollment is greater than the state college's permanent population. ASU is in a large city, and if you want to be in California, it is an obviously better choice.

Also worth mentioning, I don't think the GMAT and class room discussion/learning have any significant correlation, especially a small difference such as these two schools. Some of the best insights I've gained in my class are from a student with one of the lowest GMATs in the program. I'd much rather be in a classroom of diverse low scorers than just bankers with 780s.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 09:40
Hi cxa0897 :
Thank you for your kind reply.
I totally agree with you about the classroom discussion. I have been speaking to many current students at ASU and they mentioned that in past few years ASU attracted many talented candidates to its program and also made changes to its curriculum so that it suits the current requirement of the employers. for these reasons they are expecting that ASU will do good in the coming years.

My concern is many people think that since ASU started this Scholarship for all thing many freeloaders are there and people are talking negatively about the School. I personally do not care about these things as long as education is good but do you think that employers also see "Scholarship for all" negatively??

cxa0897 wrote:
I was very impressed with the Carey students at a supply chain case comp I was a part of. They've won it in consecutive years which is particularly impressive considering the simulation conditions change each year.

I don't think there are many large differences in the programs, but the locations couldn't be more different. PSU is in the middle of nowhere, and the entire town is built around the university. If I recall correctly, PSU's enrollment is greater than the state college's permanent population. ASU is in a large city, and if you want to be in California, it is an obviously better choice.

Also worth mentioning, I don't think the GMAT and classroom discussion/learning have any significant correlation, especially a small difference such as these two schools. Some of the best insights I've gained in my class are from a student with one of the lowest GMATs in the program. I'd much rather be in a classroom of diverse low scorers than just bankers with 780s.

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 09:48
Hi Mo2men,

Thank you for your pointers. I definitely agree with the points you mentioned.
Yes, you definitely weakened my argument by stating that data is negligible to come to the conclusion. GMAT has prepared us well for this. :D :lol:

Thank you once again for giving me few points to think about.


Mo2men wrote:
Based on percentage and class profile you mention above, the total recruited in Smeal=16 & total recruited from Carey= 12, So insignificant by numbers. Do not stick with those number as it may change in near future. I'm weakening your argument now :lol: :lol:

Good luck

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

BSchool Thread Master
avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 202
Reviews Badge
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:44
D3N0 wrote:
Hi cxa0897 :
Thank you for your kind reply.
I totally agree with you about the classroom discussion. I have been speaking to many current students at ASU and they mentioned that in past few years ASU attracted many talented candidates to its program and also made changes to its curriculum so that it suits the current requirement of the employers. for these reasons they are expecting that ASU will do good in the coming years.

My concern is many people think that since ASU started this Scholarship for all thing many freeloaders are there and people are talking negatively about the School. I personally do not care about these things as long as education is good but do you think that employers also see "Scholarship for all" negatively??



I haven't heard any of those comments regarding ASU, but they may well exist.

In my opinion, the supply chain education at ASU is going to be top notch regardless of who enrolls, and I'd argue that there likely aren't many freeloaders. Some might sneak past the filters, but gaining admittance isn't easy and the adcom can generally sniff out who is serious and who isn't through essays and interviews, especially given their application volume now.

If it's worth anything, I actually started a round 2 application to ASU last year but didn't complete it once I got into MSU early in the fall. My attitude towards "reputation" is that it doesn't really matter as long as recruiters are still coming to campus. Even if the school does trend downward 10 years from now, you'll already have an established trajectory and network, so I'd put those concerns to the side.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17134
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:55
In terms of ASU, and free tuition scholarship, the folks who get things for free and do not pay, always tend to complain more. People just don't value free things, esp when EVERYONE got in for free. Folks start feeling they are too good for it since they got it for free (it is the over the top pendulum swing). There are always regrets in BSchool, even in HBS and Booth - things are never perfect in this world, and I am sure many at ASU feel grass is greener elsewhere as soon as they hit a tough patch. I believe it is mostly psychological but I have not heard/seen any ASU bashing here - would be interested if anyone has a first hand experience.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 04:09
Thanks bb for your reply. I second that. It is such a pity that people behave this way.
My such experience was only when I was browsing through other portals for reviews of the Schools and other things and there I saw few comments like these. Also when I was speaking to few students from those portals, they did make some comments (Negative) like these about free education. Then I decided to neglect those because I thought maybe they couldn't get in and "Grapes are sour" kind of condition applies to them.

Rather I posted here for proper guidance. bb what are your thoughts about ASU and Penn State? and looking at the current Visa conditions which School will be able to help more in Post MBA employment?

bb wrote:
In terms of ASU, and free tuition scholarship, the folks who get things for free and do not pay, always tend to complain more. People just don't value free things, esp when EVERYONE got in for free. Folks start feeling they are too good for it since they got it for free (it is the over the top pendulum swing). There are always regrets in BSchool, even in HBS and Booth - things are never perfect in this world, and I am sure many at ASU feel the grass is greener elsewhere as soon as they hit a rough patch. I believe it is mostly psychological but I have not heard/seen any ASU bashing here - would be interested if anyone has first-hand experience.

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2002
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 12:08
D3N0 wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

Thank you for your pointers. I definitely agree with the points you mentioned.
Yes, you definitely weakened my argument by stating that data is negligible to come to the conclusion. GMAT has prepared us well for this. :D :lol:

Thank you once again for giving me few points to think about.


Mo2men wrote:
Based on percentage and class profile you mention above, the total recruited in Smeal=16 & total recruited from Carey= 12, So insignificant by numbers. Do not stick with those number as it may change in near future. I'm weakening your argument now :lol: :lol:

Good luck


Let us know your final decision when you make it.

Wish you successful journey in either school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 20:14
Mo2men : Afrter a lot of thinking, I have decided to go with WP Carey MBA.

Now I need to prove my decision right. :)

Mo2men wrote:
Let us know your final decision when you make it.

Wish you successful journey in either school.

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2002
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 00:35
D3N0 wrote:
Mo2men : Afrter a lot of thinking, I have decided to go with WP Carey MBA.

Now I need to prove my decision right. :)

Mo2men wrote:
Let us know your final decision when you make it.

Wish you successful journey in either school.



Good luck my friend in your journey.

Wish you success :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 12:23
Thank You Mo2men for your kind wishes.

Mo2men wrote:
Good luck my friend in your journey.

Wish you success :)

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same) &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jan 2019, 12:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Smeal (Full Scholarship+GA) Vs WP Carey (Same)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.