GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 05:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Sep 2013, 08:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:01) correct 31% (01:05) wrong based on 476 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for the social security administration over the next ten years prove to be accurate, the entire social security system will have been and will continue to be in danger of failing.

(A) will have been and will continue to be
(B) has been and will continue to be
(C) will continue, as it already has begun to be
(D) would continue to be
(E) will continue to be

Originally posted by garimavyas on 22 Mar 2011, 08:05.
Last edited by Narenn on 24 Sep 2013, 08:36, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Re: will have been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2011, 09:12
as the analysis turns out to be accurate, the prediction done in the 2nd clause will be true.

Now in Hypothetical subjunctive cases -

1. If Future ( then clause - definitive ) --- if clause (cause), will be clause (prediction/ effect).

If Obama made accurate policies,America will be transformed. E fits here perfectly, hence the OA.

2. If Future ( then clause - uncertain) --- if clause (cause), would be clause (prediction/effect) conditional clause
basically.

If Amit slept tonight,then he would be a rock star tomorrow at work.

3. If Past perfect ( then clause conditional perfect) -- if clause had verb+en , then clause (would + have)

If Amit had not slept for an entire week,he would have become an owl. :)
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 08:17
+1 E

Usually, when the "if" part of the sentence has a verb in simple present, you will need another verb in simple present or simple future. In this case, the GMAT is using "will" because the meaning of the sentence refers to the future.

In addition, E is more concise.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2011, 02:28
+1 for E. 1st conditionals.
For details regarding conditionals Please refer http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/conditional.htm
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 19:44
I am still confused between B and E.

Could someone please help me with....Why not B ?

Regards - Manish
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 09:26
pesfunk wrote:
I am still confused between B and E.

Could someone please help me with....Why not B ?

Regards - Manish

Hi Manish,

(B) is wrong because of "has been"

Quote:
Some analysts warns that, if the projected expenditures for the social security administration over the next ten years prove to be accurate, the entire social security system will have been and will continue to be in danger of failing.

With, (B) "has been and will continue to be"
the sentence basically breaks down to:
"Some analysts warn that, if [XYZ], the system "has been..."

You cannot say "has been" because the conditional word "if" indicates something in the future. You can't jump back into the past with "has been."

On its, you could say "the system has been and continues to be XYZ"---but once you add the beginning with "some analysts warn" (present tense) along with the IF conditional word, then you can't jump back into the past.

Analysts warn that XYZ would continue
Analysts warn that XYZ will continue

but NOT: Analysts warn that XYZ was continued
NOT: Analysts warn that XYZ has been continued

Answer (E) has the simple answer: "will continue to be" without getting unnecessarily complicated.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2011, 11:34
I think the answer is D. "if" introduces a hypothetical conditional, so shouldn't the verb "would continue" be required here rather than "will continue" ?m :?

Also, i think there's a typo in the opening sentence: "some analysts warns that.." has S-V agreement problem.

My GMAT debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2011, 11:54
gmatpapa wrote:
I think the answer is D. "if" introduces a hypothetical conditional, so shouldn't the verb "would continue" be required here rather than "will continue" ?m :?

Also, i think there's a typo in the opening sentence: "some analysts warns that.." has S-V agreement problem.

Hi Gmat papa..
Answer has to be D
For a second even I thought it was subjunctive, but its not. If....were/would.. ( contrary to fact) are subjunctives...this sentence doesnt intent such meaning.

IF/Then... its conditional clause.. in this case.. 'if' must be followed by'Will'
Hope this helps.

Thanks
PS: Your are right on the typo
If ..subjunctive
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2013, 10:52
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Math Expert
V
Re: Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 05:19
garimavyas wrote:
Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for the social security administration over the next ten years prove to be accurate, the entire social security system will have been and will continue to be in danger of failing.

(A) will have been and will continue to be
(B) has been and will continue to be
(C) will continue, as it already has begun to be
(D) would continue to be
(E) will continue to be

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The sentence includes a conditional clause (if/then, even though the then is implied) so focus on the verb tenses in that construction. Without needing to memorize the relevant rule, you probably know that if something happens, then something else will happen; the second verb will be in the future tense. Eliminate (D). Choices (A), (B), and (C) give you a verb in the future tense and an additional verb in the future perfect (will have been) or perfect tense (has been or has begun). These additions are unnecessary because continue to be already suggests that the social security system is in danger of failing. Therefore, (E) is the correct choice.

When you see conditional sentences or multiple verb tenses within a single sentence, pay particular attention to the tenses and determine whether they're correct.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for &nbs [#permalink] 02 Aug 2018, 05:19

Some analysts warn that, if the projected expenditures for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap