It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!

Kudos [?]: 2244 [2], given: 82

Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:00) correct 18% (01:15) wrong based on 358 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were contaminated with SV40, a virus that in monkeys causes various cancers. Some researchers now claim that this contamination caused some cases of a certain cancer in humans, mesothelioma. This claim is not undercut by the fact that a very careful survey made in the 1960s of people who had received the contaminated vaccine found no elevated incidence of any cancer, since___________.

A) most cases of mesothelioma are caused by exposure to asbestos
B) in some countries, there was no contamination of the vaccine
C) SV40 is widely used in laboratories to produce cancers in animals
D) mesotheliomas take several decades to develop
E) mesothelioma was somewhat less common in 1960 than it is now
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kudos [?]: 2244 [2], given: 82

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 118

Re: Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2013, 00:49
Why can't A be the answer?

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 118

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 25

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2013, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
'D' for me.

Researchers are now at present making claim of the effect of something that happened in past .... so effect of contamination happened 1960 took time......

Survey was made in 1960,so this survey does not undercut the argument ("some researchers now claim that this contamination caused some cases of a certain cancer in humans, mesothelioma") because mesotheliomas take several decades to develop

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 25

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2013, 01:39
I was locked between C and D.
But eliminated C , as it presents the repackaged premise...Moreover we need to link that "why fewer people were found with the disease, but researcher claimed that there are people who suffer from cancer coz of the chemical"
D bridges the gap

Archit

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 70

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 01:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 140

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 01:30
Some researchers now claim that this contamination caused some cases of a certain cancer in humans, mesothelioma but in carfule survey done in 1960 there were no sign of cancer .
Probably it will take decade to develop

Hence D is the answer

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 140

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 166

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 07:39
Hi Experts,
Can you help me to distinguish if this is an assumption question or strengthen question? Furthermore, what does phrase - is not undercut - suggest?
I am presenting my analysis:
Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were contaminated with SV40, a
virus that in monkeys causes various cancers.

This is a fact.

Some researchers now claim that
this contamination caused some cases of a certain cancer in humans,
mesothelioma.

This sentence is claim by researchers so it can be a belief of people other than author hence it is not main conclusion.

This claim is not undercut by the fact that a very careful survey
made in the 1960s of people who had received the contaminated vaccine found no
elevated incidence of any cancer, since ..

I took this whole sentence as fact and then I realized that only - This claim is not undercut by the fact - is the main conclusion. How can I avoid such traps? Further reading the argument also confused me since am i suppose to prove the fact that people in 1960 did not develop cancer in spite of getting contaminated vaccines. Since I wasn't able to understand argument in first place, I could not figure out correct OA.

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 166

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1389 [0], given: 380

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 14:38
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Quote:
Hi Experts,
Can you help me to distinguish if this is an assumption question or strengthen question? Furthermore, what does phrase - is not undercut - suggest?

This is a fact.

mesothelioma.

This sentence is claim by researchers so it can be a belief of people other than author hence it is not main conclusion.

I took this whole sentence as fact and then I realized that only - This claim is not undercut by the fact - is the main conclusion. How can I avoid such traps? Further reading the argument also confused me since am i suppose to prove the fact that people in 1960 did not develop cancer in spite of getting contaminated vaccines. Since I wasn't able to understand argument in first place, I could not figure out correct OA.

The claim of the researchers is that contamination of the polio vaccine used around 1960 caused some cases of mesothelioma in humans. "The fact that a very careful survey made in the 1960s of people who had received the contaminated vaccine found no elevated incidence of any cancer" could potentially weaken (ie "undercut") this claim. Why? Because this evidence seems to show that the contaminated vaccine did NOT cause the cases of mesothelioma, as stated in the researchers' claim.

Identifying the conclusion is, indeed, a crucial step in tackling questions like this: "{the researchers'} claim is not undercut by the fact that a very careful survey made in the 1960s of people who had received the contaminated vaccine found no elevated incidence of any cancer." Since that is the conclusion, the correct choice must answer the following question: why doesn't the survey evidence weaken the researchers' claim, even though the survey evidence seems to weaken the researchers' claim? If "mesotheliomas take several decades to develop", then patients surveyed soon after receiving the contaminated vaccine would not yet show signs of having the cancer, even if they do in fact have the cancer. In that case, the survey evidence does not undermine the researchers' claim, so (D) is correct.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1389 [0], given: 380

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 230

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 03:23
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,

This is a fact.

mesothelioma.

Responding to a pm:

"not undercut" means "not weakened".

Premises:
Some polio vaccines in 1960s were contaminated by SV40.
Researchers claim that SV40 can cause mesothelioma.

Question stem: This claim is not undercut by the fact that a very careful survey made in the 1960s of people who had received the contaminated vaccine found no elevated incidence of any cancer, since___________.

Normally, if one would say "a very careful survey made in the 1960s of people who had received the contaminated vaccine found no elevated incidence of any cancer", this would weaken the claim of the researchers. The researchers say that SV40 could cause mesothelioma but since no elevated incidence was found, we would doubt the claim of the researchers.
But we need to find the reason this claim is not put in doubt by "no elevated incidence found".

Look at option (D): mesotheliomas take several decades to develop

The contaminated vaccine is given in 1960s. The survey was conducted in 1960s itself. If mesothelioma takes several decades to develop, we will not see an elevated incidence in the 60s decade itself. We will see an elevated incidence in later decades. Hence this option nicely completes the sentence.

All other options are irrelevant.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 230

Re: Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were   [#permalink] 23 May 2017, 03:23

Some batches of polio vaccine used around 1960 were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap