Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 00:17 It is currently 14 May 2024, 00:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6070 [6]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4478 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8574 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 06-15-2013
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Some historians argue that the Quartering Act of 1774, which [#permalink]
Kudos
Some historians argue that the Quartering Act of 1774, which permitted British soldiers to demand housing in colonist occupied dwellings, was the key cause of the American Revolution.

A The Quartering Act of 1774 was bitterly protested, and can be linked to multiple colonist outbursts.This strengthens the argument

B The unpopularity of the Quartering Act was overshadowed by that of the Massachusetts Government Act of 1774, which sparked outrage by restricting the colonists' right to assembly.It weakens the argument by stating that something other than the quartering act is responsible for the American Revolution

C Many colonists refused to grant British soldiers entry to their homes, in protest of the Quartering Act of 1774's provisions.Strengthens the argument

D The number of colonists enrolled in militias greatly increased in the months following the Quartering Act of 1774.Irrelevant

E When drafting the Quartering Act of 1774, some British officials voiced concerns about the potential colonial reaction.Irrelevant

Grockit! Please Explain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I was down to B & D and Choose D.

B The unpopularity of the Quartering Act was overshadowed by that of the Massachusetts Government Act of 1774, which sparked outrage by restricting the colonists' right to assembly.
- Quartering Act is what started the outrage while it was brought out in the Mass Act of 1774.

D The number of colonists enrolled in militias greatly increased in the months following the Quartering Act of 1774.
- Before the revolution, wouldn't the militias be the same one that the British soldiers are in. If they were against the act, why would they join the militia where British are a part of? Perhaps it's my misunderstanding of the history?

After re-reading the sentence, the 'key cause' and choice B seem to match.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
I think you missed the question stem. Use causal reasoning to answer the question ...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4701 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
spetznaz wrote:
I think you missed the question stem. Use causal reasoning to answer the question ...

Yup indeed so, I have edited the post and added the question stem...

Coming to the solution -

The stimulus tells

Quote:
Quartering Act of 1774 ---------- key cause of--------->American Revolution.

B states -

Quote:
Quartering Act was overshadowed by that of the Massachusetts Government Act of 1774, which sparked outrage

So, the reasoning presented in the stimulus is weakened.

Quartering Act of 1774 was not the key cause of the American Revolution but the Massachusetts Government Act of 1774, sparked outrage

Hence (B) will bee the correct answer..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1001 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
fozzzy wrote:
Some historians argue that the Quartering Act of 1774, which permitted British soldiers to demand housing in colonist occupied dwellings, was the key cause of the American Revolution.

Which of the following seriously weakens the argument presented above ?

A The Quartering Act of 1774 was bitterly protested, and can be linked to multiple colonist outbursts.

B The unpopularity of the Quartering Act was overshadowed by that of the Massachusetts Government Act of 1774, which sparked outrage by restricting the colonists' right to assembly.

C Many colonists refused to grant British soldiers entry to their homes, in protest of the Quartering Act of 1774's provisions.

D The number of colonists enrolled in militias greatly increased in the months following the Quartering Act of 1774.

E When drafting the Quartering Act of 1774, some British officials voiced concerns about the potential colonial reaction.

Grockit! Please Explain

So I have no idea bout what American revolution is but the question is asking me why Quartering Act of 1774 was NOT the key reason behind it?
Going through the options, B exactly does that. If the QA act was overshadowed by literally anything else then it can not be the reason of AR. Hence B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts