It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some idea on waste management.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Some idea on waste management. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 21:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would like to share some thought on something that I came across. Though sound silly, I happen to see a post where it was a question, actually of waste disposal from county hospital. But when I thought of it, many hospitals don't actually go through a professional manner, to say some clinics around the world. So I would like most to got through some blogs and gather tips from there and share the links or tips out here, as we are the growing mangers who are responsible in maintaining them.

Kristin Jones

Intern
Intern

Re: Some idea on waste management. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 23:29
Improper garbage disposal can turn us seriously sick and the environment can turn into a nasty polluted cesspool. There are 4 types of wastes:
Solid - less than 70% water content
Liquid - less than 1 % solid content
Hazardous - corrosive and extremely toxic to humans, animals and plants
Medical - syringes, swabs, bandages, bodily fluids etc.

As with the topic, let us get on with the waste management for handling Medical waste safely. The dumpster rental service in their blog article - Precautions to be taken while disposing medical waste - has provided with some good measures. I will be briefing them out here.
Medical waste may turn hazardous once, if not properly disposed. Universal precautions are used from 1980’s when medical objects started to wash up on many east coast beaches. Let us look into items that are considered medical waste, shall we.
All bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, etc.
Any items contaminated with bodily fluids like the bandages, dressings etc.
Contaminated beddings, gloves, sharp items, such as syringes and scalpel blades.
These items usually are at large from places where medical activities occurs, such as hospitals and clinics, funeral homes and labs. Wastes from these facilities though not infectious normally, has to be treated differently than the other waste items. Much of medical waste is labelled infectious or biohazardous meaning it could lead to the spread of infectious diseases. So, Let us look into the process of waste management of these items, if we end up as the administrative dept of a Hospital or clinic, this might help us keeping our society and environment clean and stable, at least from the hazards that our management makes.
Process:
Always use sterile, waterproof gloves. All waste designated as medical needs needs to be stored and disposed of in bags that won’t leak and in containers marked or labelled with different colours.
Disposable scalpel blades, needles, syringes and other sharp things must be put into puncture-proof containers.
Waste that’s contaminated with blood or other bodily fluids should be double-bagged before it is handled, stored or moved.
Disposal of medical waste should adhere to all provincial and federal laws.
Sharp items that are disposed of improperly can put the workers and public at risk.
An alternative treatment is burning medical wastes through the below mentioned procedures.
Microwaving
Sterilization by steam, like autoclaving
Electro-pyrolysis
Chemical systems.
You can also get rid of them by calling in a good waste removal client.

Kristin Jones

Re: Some idea on waste management.   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 23:29

Some idea on waste management.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap