It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 09:56

Happening Now:

MBA Chat with Michelle Miller, MBA Admission Expert

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some Tricky Questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Some Tricky Questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2008, 19:43
Hi Paul!

I'm the librarian you evaluated on the boards a few months ago.

I'm getting my apps together for round 2, and I have a couple of tricky questions.

1. I sat for the GMAT twice, but only completed it once. The first time I was very sick with the flu and left out after the first section. My score report indicates a cancelled score... So, when applications ask how many times I took the GMAT, do I say once or twice? Also, since there is that cancelled score, should I explain it in the 'optional' essays?

2. This question is a little more fun: I'm gay. Should I make this apparent on my application in order to score some 'diversity' points? On some applications it's pretty easy - NYU pretty much just asks outright, and I've signed up to receive more information regarding GLBT associations at a few different schools. Do you think I should slyly mention some involvement with gay causes, such as the Human Rights Council or No on Prop 8? I've only been slightly involved with the causes, but maybe just a one-liner somewhere? I'd appreciate an objective opinion!

Thanks!

MM

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 74

Re: Some Tricky Questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2008, 22:09
mmca,

I think a canceled score counts as a non-take, because there's no score involved, but you may want to check with the schools on that. So I would answer "once." As for being gay, I do consider it an asset for you, so I would do more than just "mention" but wouldn't build a whole essay around it unless (a) there's a good story there about struggling to accepting yourself and/or overcoming others' resistance to it, or (b) it's led to involvement in organizations where you've had impact or leadership experiences. If neither (a) nor (b) is the case, then you may be left with just mentioning it briefly as one of the ways in which you'll contribute 'diversity' to their class ...

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 74

Re: Some Tricky Questions   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2008, 22:09