Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32940 [6]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Spurred by the discovery that a substance containing uranium emitted [#permalink]
narji wrote:
Why D can't be the right option in Question5?
And how option A and C are different in Question6 to choose from?

In Qs 6, Option C - states "the procedure scientists use to bring about the occurrence of a phenomenon". The decay is a natural procedure and not brought by Curie. Option A - "the physical process that underlies a phenomenon" points the right context of the word "mechanism" used in the first para.

Although I marked option E - "the scientific theory describing a phenomenon". I believe that this is also not correct for the same reaason.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Spurred by the discovery that a substance containing uranium emitted [#permalink]
bm2201
Can anyone share the OE for question 2. I marked Option A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
bm2201
can anybody provide the explanation for question 3 please?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32940 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
narji wrote:
Why D can't be the right option in Question5?
And how option A and C are different in Question6 to choose from?

Explanation

5. The primary function of the first paragraph of the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

Remember that we weren’t able to identify the Main Idea in the first paragraph because it was so expository—it was a big information download that set up the playing field for the remainder of the passage. (C), “the factual background for an evaluation of Curie’s work,” sums this up nicely.

(A) uses the word narrate, which doesn’t quite fit, and also is too broad. The passage deals only with Curie’s investigations.

(B) is yet another wrong answer choice about physicists vs. chemists. There’s no “conflict” between the groups, and the first paragraph certainly doesn’t bear on the discussion, anyway.

We can dismiss (D) since we weren’t even sure of the author’s Main Idea in the first paragraph, so we can’t say that it outlines the central argument.

(E) can be dismissed quickly, since the author of this passage would never dismiss the usefulness of Curie’s work.

Answer: C

Question #6, A and C

Reread the sentence: “…she was unable to postulate a mechanism by which to explain radiation.” What was Curie trying to postulate? An explanation for how radiation works. In other words, “the physical process that underlies a phenomenon,” choice (A).

We also know that scientists are not responsible for bringing about radiation (unless they’re setting off bombs), so (C) doesn’t fit here.

Hope that helps
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
pareshbitm wrote:
bm2201
Can anyone share the OE for question 2. I marked Option A.

Explanation

2. The passage suggests that the author would be most likely to agree with which one of the following statements about the contemporary critics of Curie’s studies of radioactivity?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Paragraphs 2, 3, and 4 all argue that Curie could not have made certain discoveries because of some very basic assumptions about matter made by the scientific community in Curie’s time. Criticisms about Curie’s understanding of radiation are thus unreasonable. (D) That says exactly this.

(A) goes outside the scope of the passage, since we never see mention of obstacles in dealing with the scientific community.

(B) again confuses why quantum mechanics is referenced in the passage—quantum mechanics led to a better understanding of the atom, which in turn led to a better understanding of radiation. The author never implies that quantum mechanics followed from the work of Curie.

The author mentions the differing conceptions of the atom held by chemists and physicists (C) and implies that critics fail to appreciate why this was important to Curie’s understanding, but he never intimates that critics were entirely unaware that these differing conceptions existed in the first place.

The author is debating the criticism of Curie’s understanding of the mechanism of radiation. We have no reason to believe these critics addressed Curie’s discovery of the two elements mentioned in the first paragraph (E).

Answer: D
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Talhahussaini wrote:
bm2201
can anybody provide the explanation for question 3 please?

Explanation

3. The passage implies which one of the following with regard to the time at which Curie began studying radioactivity?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

This question could be rather time-consuming since we have no way to research or predict an answer and the choices deal with several different areas of the passage. Luckily, we can find support for the very first answer choice—since polonium and radium are referred to as “previously unknown” (line 10), we can safely infer that scientists before Curie were not aware of the presence of these elements in pitchblende.

We know that even Curie was “unable to postulate a mechanism by which to explain radiation” (lines 18-19), so it makes no sense that the scientists before her would have specific ideas about how radiation arises (B).

(C) is one of many answer choices for this passage based on an incorrect understanding of why the author discusses the theories of physicists versus chemists in Curie’s time. The author mentions the understanding of atomic structure held by each group but never makes a distinction about concepts of radiation, so we can eliminate (C).

Though scientists did not fully understand the atomic nature of matter, we can’t conclude that no research was being done in this area (D), nor can we conclude that scientists felt uranium was the only radioactive element (E).

Answer: A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts