GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 May 2018, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Started with Manhattan Question Bank & NOW Overwhelmed, Please help.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Started with Manhattan Question Bank & NOW Overwhelmed, Please help. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 03:41
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and the community here is really encouraging :) I took the GRE once but I think the GMAT is a better fit. I was looking for an affordable way to start my practice. I started with the Manhattan Question Banks and soon I will take one practice test in real-time conditions to see where I stand.

Here is the situation:

The explanations on Manhattan's Question Banks are not enough for my understanding. Let alone, that I am doing disappointedly on the timed questions on the Quant.

I would like to reinforce my studies as a beginner.

Do you recommend to start with:
OG 16, 17, 18,?
Manhattan Review?
Kaplan Books?

I would really, really appreciate any feedback as I am getting overwhelmed with the number of posts about how to start and what books to look at.

Thank you in advance!

Good luck with anyone taking the test soon!

Best,
Kari S.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Started with Manhattan Question Bank & NOW Overwhelmed, Please help. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I would recommend checking all top kudos post on a specific section you are looking for. yes, Manhattan Quant is good but for verbal is just basic info.

If you are looking for more structural approach then join any good online class which helps you to save time.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: Started with Manhattan Question Bank & NOW Overwhelmed, Please help. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
I found this verbal CR presentation on gmatclub. go through i, Maybe this will help.
Attachments

Verbal Best CR Preparation.ppt [814.5 KiB]
Downloaded 14 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Kari,

Since it sounds like you've done a bit of studying already, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
Started with Manhattan Question Bank & NOW Overwhelmed, Please help. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Feb 2018, 03:14
rbsusa wrote:
I found this verbal CR presentation on gmatclub. go through i, Maybe this will help.

Thank you rbsusa! This is a really helpful and compact presentation. I will study it carefully!

What is your opinion on studying Manhattan Basics of Math from 2010 and then doing the CAT test?

Best,
Kari Soustiel

Originally posted by souka92 on 08 Feb 2018, 02:56.
Last edited by souka92 on 08 Feb 2018, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 03:13
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kari,

Since it sounds like you've done a bit of studying already, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

Hello EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thank you for your prompt and thorough reply :)

Here is the answers to your questions:

1)700
2) May or June
3) I am planning on applying in 2018 to get in the FALL 2019

I would like to kindly ask you the following:

1) What is your opinion on studying a Manhattan Guide from 2010 to refresh my math and then taking the CAT test? It seems like there aren't typical test questions but rather questions to reinforce your knowledge

2) What is your opinion in jumping right through the practice questions on the OG, and then taking the CAT test? Please note that I have all the 6 tests available from the Manhattan.
**Please note that I have taken the GRE test before (in 2016) so I am familiar with some math concepts.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or feedback on this.

Thank you,
Kari Soustiel
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Kari,

While there's probably no inherent 'harm' in studying with some 8-year-old books, that approach is likely not the most efficient way to approach this process - and you'll end up having to study with additional materials (to cover whatever current concepts/ideas that that older material does not cover).

All of that having been said, you really MUST take that initial diagnostic CAT sometime soon. Many Test Takers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. It's just a measure of your skills right now - and we need to know your skills, strengths and weaknesses so that we can put together the proper study plan for you. You're not going to "ace" this first CAT, so don't worry about that - just do your best and we'll work to improve from there.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
souka92 wrote:
rbsusa wrote:

Thank you rbsusa! This is a really helpful and compact presentation. I will study it carefully!

What is your opinion on studying Manhattan Basics of Math from 2010 and then doing the CAT test?

Best,
Kari Soustiel

Hi,

All Manhattan Quant books are really good. If you want to be strong in Quant then just go for Manhattan initially then do practice using GMAT Club test or any other good test prep website.
Re: Started with Manhattan Question Bank & NOW Overwhelmed, Please help.   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2018, 18:50

Started with Manhattan Question Bank & NOW Overwhelmed, Please help.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap