GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Starter on GMAT and need some advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Starter on GMAT and need some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 11:38
So I am a complete newb and just starting out my prep for GMAT.

Don't have a date yet, since I plan to study for 2-3 weeks and then going to decide.

There's a lot of information on the forum and I truly appreciate it :)

Questions which I have are:

1- Where should I start in terms of online books/resources and link? Is there anything else I should be looking at being a starter?

2- Downloaded this book: GMAT Club Math Book v3 - Jan-2-2013.pdf is there any other book I should be looking at to start with?

P.S: I posted some links from the forum, but can't use them because of 5 days restrictions.

Would truly appreciate if anyone who's prepping right now or have recently taken the exam can point me in a right direction and what to download and where to start?

Thanks in advance for all the help, as you can imagine it can be overwhelming to find the right stuff and stay on course. Thank you all.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Starter on GMAT and need some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 12:33
maverickfhs wrote:

Don't have a date yet, since I plan to study for 2-3 weeks and then going to decide.

1- Where should I start in terms of online books/resources and link? Is there anything else I should be looking at being a starter?

2- Downloaded this book: GMAT Club Math Book v3 - Jan-2-2013.pdf is there any other book I should be looking at to start with?

P.S: I posted some links from the forum, but can't use them because of 5 days restrictions.

Would truly appreciate if anyone who's prepping right now or have recently taken the exam can point me in a right direction and what to download and where to start?

Thanks in advance for all the help, as you can imagine it can be overwhelming to find the right stuff and stay on course. Thank you all.

Hi maverickfhs,

You should dedicate around 3 months to prepare for GMAT. You should start by giving GMATPREP to learn more about your performance. You can then know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for 3 months, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. Further I see you are a new member here at GMATCLUB and when you sign up at GMATCLUB you get a free 3 days access to EMPOWERgmat course. In fact it is the only way to get the deal which is very cool. You can free access to Magoosh and Optimus Prep so try those out as well.

Also I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives and they are both within your budget. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 12:41
maverickfhs

Hello,

Welcome to GMAT Club

GMAT Club is treasure trove of information.

For Quant, you can start looking into these links. These 2 links are like all you need to start your preparation

1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need ... 40445.html
2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html

For verbal, check out this page, this is one awesome post
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-ver ... 33279.html

Regarding course, each one of the course has their own way of teaching. So its best to try out the trial versions of the course before purchasing the course. When you signed into GC Club for first time, you would have received offer to access trial versions of some of the course email.

You can also see the reviews of various GMAT Courses in here - https://gmatclub.com/reviews/gmat_courses?fl=menu

All the very best for your preparation :thumbup:

Regards
Raghu

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 12:54
maverickfhs wrote:

Follow these Links

Best GMAT Courses

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Study Plan

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-self-pr ... tml?f=menu

Best Books

Quant

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Verbal

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

All GMAT CATs

https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-pra ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Timing Strategies

https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... ml?fl=menu

Good Luck

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 13:23
Thank you rohan2345 , SajjadAhmad and akadiyan.

Let me go through few of these links and I am sure will have a lot of questions.

BTW, it was mentioned above 3 months for the prep, that's studying full time or part time? Of course, I understand everyone is different and it can't be predicted just trying to understand, so that I can make plans for the exam accordingly.

Thank you again.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 14:02
One more question, I don't have OG of any sort. Should I skip it altogether and start with these : GMAT Club Math Book v3 - Jan-2-2013.pdf and GMAT-Club-Grammar-book-2017.pdf

If not, is there a PDF version of OG? Thanks again all :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 16:04
Hi maverickfhs,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 16:11
EMPOWERgmatRichC , thanks for your valuable input and feedback.

Regarding practice test stuff, I am going to embark on it this weekend and will report back with the score. I have been out of touch and practice, so please don't laugh if my score is extremely poor.

Years ago, I took GRE and had 780(or 760) out of 800 for Q side. But not sure how it'll be in GMAT.

Here are my answers:

1) What is your goal score? For now, I plan to go above 720 or at least above 700.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? For now, plan is to shoot for 2020 or if possible, 2019(depends on the progress)
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?Since, I can say whatever I want, then I would say only Top 10-15 schools :)

I am based out of Virginia, so might consider something local or in state(since it's going to be a bit economical)

Thank you again :)
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.3
WE: Corporate Finance (Law)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 16:46
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from http://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Take one of the Empower courses, the interface can be a little glitchy, but the tips and overall content are GOLD!

Also, if you are weak in any areas you can download the Veritas iphone app and listen/watch the videos over and over.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 18:14
michaelpalomares00 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

Take one of the Empower courses, the interface can be a little glitchy, but the tips and overall content are GOLD!

Also, if you are weak in any areas you can download the Veritas iphone app and listen/watch the videos over and over.

Good Luck!

Thanks, is Veritas app free or one has to enroll and pay for it?
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.3
WE: Corporate Finance (Law)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 18:23
It’s free in the App Store. I think the intent is to try before you buy type of thing, but I went with Empower instead.

I like to listen to the Veritas SC verbal video while I workout in the mornings because it’s actually entertaining and somewhat easy to follow without looking at.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 18:35
michaelpalomares00 wrote:
It’s free in the App Store. I think the intent is to try before you buy type of thing, but I went with Empower instead.

I like to listen to the Veritas SC verbal video while I workout in the mornings because it’s actually entertaining and somewhat easy to follow without looking at.

Thank you, I'll download it right now and see how it goes :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 11:35
Hi maverickfhs,

Since you have plenty of time before you plan to apply to Business School, you can certainly approach your studies however you like at this point. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so that's something you should consider (especially with your Score Goal) as you look ahead at how to plan out this process. We'll be better able to discuss your options once you've taken that initial CAT.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 11:39
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

Since you have plenty of time before you plan to apply to Business School, you can certainly approach your studies however you like at this point. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so that's something you should consider (especially with your Score Goal) as you look ahead at how to plan out this process. We'll be better able to discuss your options once you've taken that initial CAT.

Rich

Thank you again EMPOWERgmatRichC, I am going to give CAT you have mentioned above this weekend, with no prep and will report back in terms of how things went.

Then will take things from there.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 14:35
EMPOWERgmatRichC , thanks again for your help. So I downloaded GMAT practice software and 2 practice exams. I was about to start and no wanted to check before I proceed with the 1st one.

I have no prep, just a basic knowledge and whatever I know after researching and reading from the forum. Can I skip AWA(essay) or anything or have to complete all sections as best I can, to get an idea about the score and weaknesses?

Thanks again for the help.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 11:34
Hi maverickfhs,

On Test Day, you're going to have sit in that Computer Lab for the better part of 4 hours (and complete ALL of the sections), so it's important to start training for that 'event' as early as possible. As such, you should take this CAT (and ALL of your CATs) in their entirety - with the Essay and IR sections.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 13:53
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

On Test Day, you're going to have sit in that Computer Lab for the better part of 4 hours (and complete ALL of the sections), so it's important to start training for that 'event' as early as possible. As such, you should take this CAT (and ALL of your CATs) in their entirety - with the Essay and IR sections.

Rich

Thank you for your advice and input, will follow and report back.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 13:28
So I have been studying, watching videos and reading a lot on the forum. If I use one of my practice test now, with very little prep.

Will I regret or have some more options? Since, I would need quite a few practice exams before the actual GMAT test.

Or would it be worth it with a very little prep and to make a baseline? Thanks again EMPOWERgmatRichC for your advice and help :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 11:35
Hi maverickfhs,

There are 6 Official GMAC CATs and plenty of additional 3rd party CATs (from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas) that are 'close enough' to the real thing to give you a reasonably accurate score result (assuming that you use the CAT correctly). As such, you're not at any risk of 'wasting' an Official GMAC CAT by using it as your diagnostic CAT - again, as long as you take the CAT in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 11:44
EMPOWERgmatRichC , thanks so much and it makes sense. I'll take care of it fearlessly this weekend. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Starter on GMAT and need some advice &nbs [#permalink] 23 Feb 2018, 11:44

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Starter on GMAT and need some advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap