GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stern ($$$) vs INSEAD

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Stern ($$$) vs INSEAD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 05:42
Hi guys, I've been accepted into a couple of business schools and am now considering Stern and INSEAD. My Stern admission comes with a full scholarship while I believe I'm unlikely to secure one with INSEAD given that I'm a late round applicant.

A couple of things that would play a part in my decision: (1) I may return to my current organization after my business school journey. But I keep my options open and consider consulting a possibility. (2) I'm from Asia and I do see myself building my career in this region in the long term. (3) The 1-year vs 2-year duration as the opportunity cost of taking time off work is considerably higher given that I already have significant work experience.

Would love to seek your thoughts on the above, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Re: Stern ($$$) vs INSEAD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 09:57
Stern is a great school but if you're planning on developing a career in Asia, then INSEAD definitely offers more brand equity. Plus, it sounds like you really don't need 2 years and a summer internship. Last but not least, INSEAD places more people in consulting firms than Stern. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2015, 01:19
marsh0408 wrote:
Hi guys, I've been accepted into a couple of business schools and am now considering Stern and INSEAD. My Stern admission comes with a full scholarship while I believe I'm unlikely to secure one with INSEAD given that I'm a late round applicant.

A couple of things that would play a part in my decision: (1) I may return to my current organization after my business school journey. But I keep my options open and consider consulting a possibility. (2) I'm from Asia and I do see myself building my career in this region in the long term. (3) The 1-year vs 2-year duration as the opportunity cost of taking time off work is considerably higher given that I already have significant work experience.

Stern - that scholarship is significant. If its tier 1 consulting you can apply worldwide from NY, but the 2 year degree will allow you the time to actually make your mind up on what you want to do - I reckon the 1 year at INSEAD may just make you rush back to your employer without actual time to reflect.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 19:11
kualalumpa wrote:
Stern is a great school but if you're planning on developing a career in Asia, then INSEAD definitely offers more brand equity. Plus, it sounds like you really don't need 2 years and a summer internship. Last but not least, INSEAD places more people in consulting firms than Stern. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! These are definitely factors I'm taking into consideration. The full scholarship and the idea of being in NYC makes this decision way harder.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 19:24
gcb09173 wrote:
marsh0408 wrote:

Stern - that scholarship is significant. If its tier 1 consulting you can apply worldwide from NY, but the 2 year degree will allow you the time to actually make your mind up on what you want to do - I reckon the 1 year at INSEAD may just make you rush back to your employer without actual time to reflect.

Thanks for sharing! Yes I do feel that the scholarship and the opportunities that being in NYC could bring are extremely attractive. Stern is great, but INSEAD's student profile (quite a few with > 7 years exp) and strength in placement in tier 1 consulting does make the decision less obvious.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stern '18
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 20:25
Stern with money, all day. Take it.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q162 V161

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 11:30
Congrats! Post MBA if you want to work in the States, then Stern is the only way to go. It's much easier option for internationals to find work in the States than in Europe (thanks to all the complicated European Union labor laws).
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 18:34
jeffinthehouse wrote:
Stern with money, all day.

All day and twice on Sunday.

jeffinthehouse wrote:
Take it.
Stern Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 06:11
Money isn't everything, guys. Yes, it's a big amount but think of your long-term goals. You'll recoup your $100-200K investment in your education whether you go to INSEAD or Stern but you won't be able to redo your MBA.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 15:27
jadon wrote:
Money isn't everything, guys. Yes, it's a big amount but think of your long-term goals. You'll recoup your $100-200K investment in your education whether you go to INSEAD or Stern but you won't be able to redo your MBA.

I doubt anyone's replied only considering the money. Without a scholarship there are pro's and cons to each but with some scholarship there's no reason to turn Stern down.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stern '18
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 21:05
gcb09173 wrote:
jadon wrote:

I doubt anyone's replied only considering the money. Without a scholarship there are pro's and cons to each but with some scholarship there's no reason to turn Stern down.

Amen! Ha, anyone else feeling like we're starting to turn this thread into a CR prompt? Kudos if you can both strengthen and weaken jadon's argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 02:46
My 2 cents...

I would pick INSEAD. You mostly do just one MBA in your life and it seems INSEAD fits your personal goals better. Reasons:

1. You said you want to stay in Asia long-term. As an European I know how top US b-schools are perceived sometimes outside the States. I mean Stern is a great school (NYC is the cream on top), but in Europe/Asia I would say INSEAD has the much stronger brand. If we even forget about the brand for a second, the much more international student pool at INSEAD is another key-advantage of the program when compared to Stern. This would dramatically change if you see any option for you staying in the US post MBA.
2. Career perspective - You say you CAN go back to your job post MBA, but you don't tell us whether you WANT to do this. Regardless, if you want - then you're much better off with INSEAD in your current geographical area, if you don't want to go back - then for consulting/Asia INSEAD is a much better pick. I've done some research on Stern - if you would have wanted to do a Wall street gig, then sure, go for it. But even for consulting, my impression is they place a greater number of students in tier 2 than in MBB.
3. Money - Money is still crucial. Though I guess you knew the MBA is a costly experience. Now, a full ride at Stern is a great thing. Unfortunately, if you take the big picture into account, I wouldn't wonder if Stern + NYC living expenses is not that far away from INSEAD + tuition + living expenses for Paris/Singapore. If we would have had to be exact, we should also have added the difference in opportunity costs for a year, which totally makes things equal.

Bottom line: Stern can only make sense if you want to stay in the US post MBA, but it can still be more expensive than INSEAD (though this is perfectly fine, if it brings you closer to your dream job/location post MBA). Otherwise, I would pick INSEAD. Take into account - finding a job in the States with INSEAD is very hard (but a semester abroad within their cooperation with Wharton, for example, is always an option).

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 09:48
marsh0408 wrote:

Which INSEAD location? Singapore?

Career: I don't know NYU's network in Asia, but I doubt it is better than INSEAD. If you want to stay in Asia, INSEAD it is. If you want to transition to a USA job or do a few years in a work visa sponsored job in the states which can look great on a cv once you return to Asia, NYU is better.

Cost: If you assume living expenses are the same NYC versus Singapore / France versus your current location (let's assume Singapore to make it easy), then the additional marginal cost to attend NYU Stern is simply your post-tax salary for the additional time you won't be working by attending Stern over INSEAD (~10mos.) minus INSEAD MBA tuition (say US$ ~72k) that you'd need to pay. Let's say you could make an additional US$ 120k / year, or US$ ~102k after taxes (assuming 15% in Singapore). This would mean NYU Stern would cost you an additional US$ ~30k.

'Fun' Benefit: Is an extra year of school/fun worth US$ 30k? To me it undoubtedly is. I have ~7 years work experience and also got into a one-year program. I decided to do a two-year American program despite the fact that it was better for my net worth to do the one-year program. For me, I value this 'fun' benefit about the same as a Ferrari or small vacation home.

I think it comes down to if you want to spend some years in America or if you would prefer staying in Asia.

Congrats and good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stern ($$$) vs INSEAD   [#permalink] 22 May 2015, 09:48

Stern ($$$) vs INSEAD

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate