GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 14:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

strategy for DS questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
strategy for DS questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 18:36
I have been preparing for the GMAT for a really long time now - pretty much all of 2016 and took the test twice this year and while I did see some improvement I am still not completely happy with my results so I scheduled it to take it one more time (hopefully my last time) for September 17th. I really can't be doing this GMAT thing for the rest of my life and just want to be done with it so I can move forward to other things like focusing on my applications of which the first ones are due by the end of December.

My question is: what can I do to improve my accuracy for DS questions. I have noticed that I do much better on PS than on DS and I am not sure why that is.
Yes, I do understand the answer choices and the method of eliminating AD, and then BCE... I got all that. It's not that I get confused about the answer choices. It's just that I clearly lack of my evaluation of what information is sufficient and what isn't.
I find it much easier to work out a problem and then if my answer is among the answer choices I pick it and very often I have the right one.
With DS of course it does not work like that.
You get no confirmation of whether your answer choice is right or wrong even if you work through the entire problem. I usually don't anyway because I thought this was not the purpose of DS questions to come up with an actual answer. You just have to figure out whether the given information is good enough to come up with an answer.

This is extremely frustrating because my DS accuracy is somewhere between 20 and 50 % depending on the tested topic. PS is much higher and I know I could have a much higher quant score if there weren't such thing as DS questions.

Sadly there is and I have to figure out a way how to increase my accuracy on those questions if I want to increase my quant score.
Any suggestions.

Does this happen to other students too that they have a harder time with DS than PS?
I always assumed that DS would be easier for most people because you actually don't have to figure out the problem and if you know that statement 1 and 2 by themselves are not sufficient you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Unfortunately I always pick the wrong answer in these cases. :shock:
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: strategy for DS questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 00:43
Hey Silviax,

Have you narrowed down to the reasons why you are getting DS questions wrong?

I'm tracking my errors with an error log, and I've found out that I tend to get DS questions wrong when I don't prove on the pad that the statements are either right or wrong. When I answer a DS question super fast and with minimum work I initially celebrate in my head with a "Yupii! That was easy!", only to realize I was wrong. Then when I do the problem untimed, I am able to get to the answer or close enough, just because I dedicated some time to proving the statements right/wrong.

Good luck on your test!

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

|Welcoming tips/suggestions/advices (you name it) to help me achieve a 600|

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 22:18
Hi Silviax,

As you have difficulty with DS, we think our course is a perfect choice for you as we are specialized in Variable approach for DS that you have never seen. When it comes to DS, regardless of your math skills, it is highly difficult to hit 48 or above due to the nature of the exam. You need logic to tackle DS questions, and you can learn the efficient logic with us.

From our course, you will learn Variable approach for DS and IVY approach for PS. With our unique approaches of, you can significantly save time, and will have 10 minutes to spare on exam. For instance, with our approaches, you can solve questions that normally take 4 minutes in 1 minutes and 30 seconds, and 2-minute question in 30 seconds. You can solve DS questions 100% with Variable approach and 30-40% of PS questions with IVY approach. We also would like to recommend studying and mastering DS first as DS is a quick win. Once you fully understand and master DS only, you can surely hit at least 49.

You can go to our website and check if you like our method and try Trial Pack (4 hour lesson) that reveal our secret approaches of DS+PS core theory that you have never seen.

Additionally, below are two useful articles featured in GMAT Club for your reference. This will be helpful for you. You can see what sort of questions you might encounter on actual GMAT.

· Ultimate Q51 Guide : the-ultimate-q51-guide-209801.html
· Most Updated Math Trend : overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html

If you're interested, please come visit our website, www.mathrevolution.com.
Also, please send us an email any time if you have any query at info@mathrevolution.com

Happy Studying!

Jin
Math Revolution

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke '21 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 09:28
Hi Jin,

Just wanted to clarify - Can all DS questions be solved using the Variable approach.

MathRevolution wrote:
Hi Silviax,

As you have difficulty with DS, we think our course is a perfect choice for you as we are specialized in Variable approach for DS that you have never seen. When it comes to DS, regardless of your math skills, it is highly difficult to hit 48 or above due to the nature of the exam. You need logic to tackle DS questions, and you can learn the efficient logic with us.

From our course, you will learn Variable approach for DS and IVY approach for PS. With our unique approaches of, you can significantly save time, and will have 10 minutes to spare on exam. For instance, with our approaches, you can solve questions that normally take 4 minutes in 1 minutes and 30 seconds, and 2-minute question in 30 seconds. You can solve DS questions 100% with Variable approach and 30-40% of PS questions with IVY approach. We also would like to recommend studying and mastering DS first as DS is a quick win. Once you fully understand and master DS only, you can surely hit at least 49.

You can go to our website and check if you like our method and try Trial Pack (4 hour lesson) that reveal our secret approaches of DS+PS core theory that you have never seen.

Additionally, below are two useful articles featured in GMAT Club for your reference. This will be helpful for you. You can see what sort of questions you might encounter on actual GMAT.

· Ultimate Q51 Guide : http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate- ... 09801.html
· Most Updated Math Trend : http://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-g ... 11809.html

If you're interested, please come visit our website, http://www.mathrevolution.com.
Also, please send us an email any time if you have any query at info@mathrevolution.com

Happy Studying!

Jin
Math Revolution
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
strategy for DS questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 06:56
Hi Silviax,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. However, in order to provide some personalized advice, I’d like to first learn some more about you. I have some questions.

1) Can you provide the score breakdown and date of each official GMAT?

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months? What resources did you use?

4) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

5) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

6) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

Thanks!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 01:43
Tanvi94 wrote:
Hi Jin,

Just wanted to clarify - Can all DS questions be solved using the Variable approach.

MathRevolution wrote:
Hi Silviax,

· Ultimate Q51 Guide : http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate- ... 09801.html
· Most Updated Math Trend : http://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-g ... 11809.html

If you're interested, please come visit our website, http://www.mathrevolution.com.

Happy Studying!

Jin
Math Revolution

Hi, Tanvi94

Variable approach (VA) can help you easily identify "the most probable answer" by checking the number of equations and variables from the question.
Around 70% of these answers are actually correct answers. If you have enough time to solve the questions, you can still verify the answer via substituting statement 1 and 2. If not, you can just select the most-probable-answer without substituting statement 1 and 2. Significant time saving!

If you ask whether Variable approach can be applied to all DS questions, yes, you are correct 100%. If you ask whether Variable approach can get 100% correct ratio, that's around 70% correct. Many students who hit Q49 use VA for easy-medium questions, boldly check the answer from VA without verifying statement 1 and 2 and take more time on hard questions by combining VA and verification of statement 1 and 2.
Hope this helps.

Happy Studying!

Jin
Math Revolution

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: strategy for DS questions &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jul 2018, 01:43

strategy for DS questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap