GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stream selection for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
Stream selection for MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 20:00
Sir/ma'm

I am from India, WE:28 mnths ;
As we know most of the buisness schools give lot of emphasize on Work experience ; may be its absurd to ask ,but my question to you is 'can we change our domain' or it remains the same when we join buisness school ,i mean as i am from IT industry so can i opt for 'Finance' stream and would secure a job in some non IT industry ,if yes then why is domain experience matters

Thank you in advance
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Stream selection for MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 23:59
AshutoshB wrote:
Sir/ma'm

I am from India, WE:28 mnths ;
As we know most of the buisness schools give lot of emphasize on Work experience ; may be its absurd to ask ,but my question to you is 'can we change our domain' or it remains the same when we join buisness school ,i mean as i am from IT industry so can i opt for 'Finance' stream and would secure a job in some non IT industry ,if yes then why is domain experience matters

Thank you in advance

1) You can change your intended career path any number of times.
2) Domain experience helps you display "demonstrable, measurable achievements", and those employee qualities which make you "employable" post-MBA, an important factor for each school

Hope that helps

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Stream selection for MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 02:29
Your work experience is the container, not the end-all-be-all. It's the means for which you can show them your leadership qualities your problem solving skills your teamwork abilities. It's not like they really care about what you do - its what you've done and how it points to the specific qualities that they're looking for. They're looking for people who take the initiative and solve problems and play well with others. And your work is one way to show that, however there are others as well Community Services a big one. Also I would not necessarily say that you could so easily switch from one industry and function to a totally separate industry and function. And I would really not advise that in your narrative either. It's called connecting dots..constructing a narrative you have greater chances of acceptance if you were to show interest in getting into Finance but staying within the IT industry. Otherwise you really don't have any value to offer your next employer. If you know the industry they might be willing to take a gamble on you with the function. Of course people change both of those all the time but you look like a riskier proposition for career services.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 05:02
[quote="MBAPrepCoach"]Your work experience is the container, not the end-all-be-all. It's the means for which you can show them your leadership qualities your problem solving skills your teamwork abilities. It's not like they really care about what you do is what you've done and how it points to specific qualities that they're looking for. They're looking for people who take the initiative and solve problems and play well with others. And your work is one way to show that, however there are others as well Community Services a big one. Also I would not necessarily say that you could so easily switch from one industry and function to a totally separate industry and function. And I would really not advised that in your narrative either. It's called connecting dots constructing a narrative you have greater chances of acceptance if you were to show interest in getting into Finance but staying within the IT industry. Otherwise you really don't have any value to offer your next employer. If you know the industry they might be willing to take a gamble on you with the function. Of course people change both of those all the time but you look like a riskier proposition for career services.

Hi Ma'm ,
How would it reflects on person profile , if he/she starts some NGO or their own buisness
Director
Director
S
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 05:23
Yes you can, n number of times, at any point of time. Experience is just to show your capability to work as a team and individuality.

General Education
m:+91-90350 50056, +91 9620555680
w: http://www.genedmba.com e: info@genedmba.com

Expert Post
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 10:37
AshutoshB wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Your work experience is the container, not the end-all-be-all. It's the means for which you can show them your leadership qualities your problem solving skills your teamwork abilities. It's not like they really care about what you do is what you've done and how it points to specific qualities that they're looking for. They're looking for people who take the initiative and solve problems and play well with others. And your work is one way to show that, however there are others as well Community Services a big one. Also I would not necessarily say that you could so easily switch from one industry and function to a totally separate industry and function. And I would really not advised that in your narrative either. It's called connecting dots constructing a narrative you have greater chances of acceptance if you were to show interest in getting into Finance but staying within the IT industry. Otherwise you really don't have any value to offer your next employer. If you know the industry they might be willing to take a gamble on you with the function. Of course people change both of those all the time but you look like a riskier proposition for career services.

Hi Ma'm ,
How would it reflects on person profile , if he/she starts some NGO or their own buisness
Best if you also have two+ years with a well known employer first, or it just looks like you couldn't find a job. Better as a side thing initially. If VC backed, good. If it's on the same income level as a lemonade stand, not good.

Farrell Dyan
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 19:54
Thank you

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Stream selection for MBA   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2018, 19:54

Stream selection for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap