GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jul 2018, 05:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:03) correct 27% (01:06) wrong based on 893 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system's ability to deal with all other pollutants.

(A) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system's ability to deal

(B) an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system's capability of dealing

(C) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing

(D) a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal

(E) a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system's ability to deal

NewYorker, JUN 15, 1987, PAGE 47

https://archives.newyorker.com/?iid=16020&crd=0&searchKey=Sulfur%20dioxide%20is%20a%20particularly#folio=047

Attachment:
123.png
123.png [ 63.99 KiB | Viewed 1851 times ]

Regards, S

Originally posted by saurya_s on 16 Feb 2005, 18:52.
Last edited by hazelnut on 26 Jul 2018, 05:55, edited 4 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2013, 12:11
Question: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system's ability to deal with all other pollutants.
A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

Determine whether a PRONOUN is ambiguous or not? (by the 'Ron Purewal')

Note: The content/knowledge was not produced by me; it was merely assimilated from Ron's sessions. ( Please visit http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm for more such lessons). I have just compiled various notes , for my convenience,from his videos. (I am just playing a plagiarist).

Ambiguous Pronoun :

(As explained by Aristotle SC grail) Sometimes, a sentence is structured in a way that a pronoun can refer to more than one noun, and as a result the reader is confused about the author‘s intentions - what the pronoun is referring to.

John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business
because he felt that the residents of the city would be
willing to pay for the same.

Who does 'he‘ refer to, John or Jerry?

John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business
because John felt that the residents of the city would be
willing to pay for the same.

In this session(please see the attachment), Ron stated that Pronoun ambiguity is NOT an "absolute" rule. He further explained how to determine whether a pronoun is ambiguous or not.
Attachments

Pronoun Ambiguity (by Ron Purewal).docx [423.2 KiB]
Downloaded 912 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks and Regards!

P.S. +Kudos Please! in case you like my post. :)

General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2005, 19:08
(A) - it refers to pollutant (which is sulfur dioxide).
- 'to deal' is the correct idiom ??
(B) - of dealing isn't right
- 'because of diminishing doesn't seem correct'
(C) - i think deal requires 'to' preceding it
(D) and (E) out. Special appears to suggest one of a kind.

I'll go with A
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2008, 11:39
lexis wrote:
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

What is the difference between CAPABILITY and ABILITY?

In my opinion, the difference is very little. Here are the definitions I looked up:

a·bil·i·ty Audio Help /əˈbɪlɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-bil-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. power or capacity to do or act physically, mentally, legally, morally, financially, etc.
2. competence in an activity or occupation because of one's skill, training, or other qualification: the ability to sing well.
3. abilities, talents; special skills or aptitudes: Composing music is beyond his abilities.

ca·pa·bil·i·ty Audio Help /ˌkeɪpəˈbɪlɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[key-puh-bil-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. the quality of being capable; capacity; ability: His capability was unquestionable.
2. the ability to undergo or be affected by a given treatment or action: the capability of glass in resisting heat.
3. Usually, capabilities. qualities, abilities, features, etc., that can be used or developed; potential: Though dilapidated, the house has great capabilities.

Hope this helps

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 21:23
IMO A.

I faced the same question when I was taking the paper based SETS..
"ability to" is preferred to "capability of" .. Hence only A and E remain..

Between these 2, A is the better choice

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2010, 19:03
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal[/quote]

All the parts in RED are awkward and hence wrong. I don't think you have to go for deciding b/w especially and specially.

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2011, 19:56
+1 for A.

There are three possible antecedents of "it":

1) Sulphur dioxide

2) acid rain : the phrase containing acid rain is mentioned as a modifier(seperated by commas) - a classic middleman. It is not the subject of the sentence and if you remove it from the sentence, the sentence will still hold. Hence ruled out as antecedent.

3) pollutant: pollutant in the sentence is used as a category/type and not as a specific entity. It refers to a specific entity, hence pollutant can't be the antecedent.

So "it" indeed refers to Sulphur dioxide.

INCORRECT :John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business because he felt that the residents of the city would be willing to pay for the same.

Here the issue is the ambiguous answer to the question "Who felt that the residents ....?". Was it John or was it Jerry. Since the answer can be any of the two, usage of "he" is ambiguous here.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2012, 14:42
Answer choice D does sound a little awkward, but I think the bigger issue is the difference between "especially" and "specially"

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000287.htm

That site is a pretty quick description of the difference, but basically you use especially to describe something that has an extraordinary characteristic (as in this case, the pollutant is extraordinarily serious). Specially is used when the thing you are describing has a purpose to be described that way (those shoes were specially made for running.)
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2012, 14:55
If you replace the word "capability" with "ability" you're left with "ability of the respiratory system to deal with..." - similar to "the respiratory system's ability to deal with..."

On the GMAT the answer will be the "best" answer choice. Simpler is better on the GMAT exam. THe use of ability vs capability can be debatable - but what is clear is that "the respiratory system's ability to deal with" is simpler than the "ability of the respiratory system to deal with..."

It eliminates many phrases that end in "OF", for example "capability OF THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM" to deal with. The topic here is "ability" so by rephrasing as "respiratory system's ability to deal with..." we capture it in the simplest way - which is preferred for the GMAT.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2012, 06:56
nice explanation by ron

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post30983.html

hi -

normally you're supposed to, at a minimum, ask some sort of question about the problem. you're not supposed to just post it with no commentary, as if it had accidentally fallen out of a grocery bag.

this problem is a pure test of word choice / idiomatic expression. that's a situation that i don't see often on official problems; it's almost as though the gmat is taking cheap potshots at the (great many) non-native speakers of english who take the test.

* "specially", which means "in a special way", is incorrect here. (example of correct use: "the specially crafted exclusive edition of this car costs more than the standard edition") you want "especially", which means "in particular" or "more so than all the others". therefore D and E are gone.

* "capability of ____ing" and "capability in ____ing" are unidiomatic, so B and C are gone.

those two are enough, but note also:
* "because of ____ing", where ____ing is a noun, is unidiomatic, so B and E are gone.

NOTE: be careful with this elimination. if ____ing is an adjective, not a participle, then "because of ____ing NOUN" is a perfectly acceptable structure, as in "because of diminishing returns, i don't get as much interest from my bank account anymore".
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2013, 12:18
Hi Goutamread, pls post more such posts like these. Interesting theory.
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:53
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2013, 22:25
Why we've discarded E...? it's grammatically and logically fine I believe and more concise as compared to A.

Experts, can you please step in to clarify it.
Much appreciate your help.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 07:34
debayan222 wrote:
Why we've discarded E...? it's grammatically and logically fine I believe and more concise as compared to A.

E is incorrect :

1) Incorrect idiom : Because of VERBing (Correct Idiom: Because of Noun [OR] Because Clause)

2) Other issue in the problem:
* ESPECIALLY vs. SPECIALLY
“especially” = “to an unusually high degree” or “more so than comparable things”
These paintings are all attractive, but that one is especially attractive because of its use of chiaroscuro .
“specially” = "done in a special manner"
This dish, which is not on the normal menu, was specially prepared for our guest.

Thanks and Regards!

P.S. +Kudos Please! in case you like my post. :)

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 15:52
sdas wrote:
Sulphur Dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system's ability to deal with all other pollutants

A. .....
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system's capability of dealing
C an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal with
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system's ability to deal

especially or specially?
I would choose "especially", Sulphur Dioxide is not "special"...

A(...)because it diminishes
B(...)because of diminishing --- "because of"+ noun is correct, out B
C(...)because it diminishes

A(...)the respiratory system's ability to deal --- I pick A, is more clear. "ability to deal" should be correct
C(...)the capability of the respiratory system in dealing --- "the capability in dealing" doesn't sound good

IMO A

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '16 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 08:27
saurya_s wrote:
676. Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.
(A) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
(B) an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
(C) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
(D) a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
(E) a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

What is the difference between especially and specially ?
I am between A and E?
S

I want to know why C is wrong and the difference between ability to deal and the capability in dealing.
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 10:54
venkat18290 wrote:
I want to know why C is wrong and the difference between ability to deal and the capability in dealing.

Hi venkat

C is wrong because:

(1) idiom problem: "capability.... in doing" is wrong. The correct ones are: capability of doing / capability to do
(2) Meaning problem: ability vs capability. In general, both ability and capability refer to the power to do something. But, capability refers to the measure of someone's ability. On the other hand, capability is more particular than ability
For example:
The computer has ability to calculate very complex equations
The computer has capability to calculate one hundred complex equations in 1 minute.

But in this question, we're only talking about "ability" in general, thus "ability" is more appropriate.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 10:27
Hi. I am not sure but isn't "respiratory system's " in the option A is wrong because we cannot use possessive case with non-living things. I personally have never seen a possessive case with organs. Do give back a reply.
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 13:12
addyudit wrote:
Hi. I am not sure but isn't "respiratory system's " in the option A is wrong because we cannot use possessive case with non-living things. I personally have never seen a possessive case with organs. Do give back a reply.

Interesting point. Though it might seem strange, using a possessive with inanimate objects (non-living things), is perfectly fine grammatically (and logically). Something doesn't have to be a person to possess things. A car's weight, a tree's color, India's various climates, etc.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 00:39
KyleWiddison wrote:
addyudit wrote:

Interesting point. Though it might seem strange, using a possessive with inanimate objects (non-living things), is perfectly fine grammatically (and logically). Something doesn't have to be a person to possess things. A car's weight, a tree's color, India's various climates, etc.

KW

As far as I have read in one or two grammar books that it is wrong to use possessive form of inanimate objects. But as I have studied English according to British standard and not the American one, it might be true what you are saying. Some of the forums (wordreference) also say it's wrong to use possessive case with inanimate objects. Although, we can use possessive case with inanimate things in case of Personification(According to grammar books). PS: a tree's color seems absolutely fine as tree is not considered inanimate. But i have never heard the expression "a car's weight" which is usually written as "weight of the car".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jul 2014, 00:39

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap