It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 118

Kudos [?]: 104 [2], given: 0

Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2008, 00:53
2
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:49) correct 44% (00:54) wrong based on 737 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

(A) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(B) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(C) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(D) has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(E) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 104 [2], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2008, 02:47
E for me.

"were" is wrong....hence A and B are out. Also, between C, D and E, "would become" is required and hence E is the answer.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 193

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2008, 03:28
I'll go with E; the other choices have something or other wrong with them.
_________________

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 781

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2008, 14:37
Singular subject “Harriet Tubman” requires singular verb – eliminate A and B
Between C, D and E:
C: Illogical past perfect – implies become known occurred before create
D: no need to have present perfect (progressive)
E: Holds good

Answer: E

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1402

Kudos [?]: 437 [1], given: 1

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2008, 14:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
dancinggeometry wrote:
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

(A) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(B) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(C) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(D) has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(E) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was


Subject is HT means was is correct. A & B are out.

D is continuous tense and wrong.

C is wrong because it uses had.

We need to reflect the future in the past (Eww!) For lack of better words. IMO, E is correct

Kudos [?]: 437 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 145

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2008, 00:47
dancinggeometry wrote:
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

(A) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(B) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(C) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(D) has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(E) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was


C is the correct option. It reflects something that happened before the civil war started. Civil war started in the past & is over now, 2 events that occured in the past. E lacks 'have' that should have followed would.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2008, 15:59
(A) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were (were is WRONG)
(B) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were (were is WRONG)
(C) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was (past perfect is WRONG. It says that
she created the system after it became known as Underground Railroad)
(D) has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was (present perfect is WRONG)
(E) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was (CORRECT. IMO)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 960

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2008, 20:12
Between B and E.

Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists - isn't this plural, thus required WERE?

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2008, 20:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
A) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(B) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(C) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(D) has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(E) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was

A and B are wrong because were is wrong.
C - Wrong . Because it means that when it was getting constructed it had become known. Changing the meaning of sentence.
D - been becoming - is wrong. This cannot be progressive verb.
E - Correct

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 210

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2008, 21:34
E would be my choice as well. As a courtesy, you should also post the OA. It is freaking crazy to beg for the damn OAs from you most of the time. Please be generous as you know this community is built on the very fundamentals of "giving back" while you learn. If you care not to post your OAs, you might as well not post your questions. BTW, this is not just my personal observation, I guess. Most folks in this forum feel that way and I am sure your lack of cooperation gets spotted by our moderators, who do not encourage such behavior. So, please DO make your OAs available shortly after you post the questions. Thanks.

Mods, please keep a tab on this poster and share a few of your kind words of wisdom.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 118

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2008, 06:20
wizardofwashington wrote:
E would be my choice as well. As a courtesy, you should also post the OA. It is freaking crazy to beg for the damn OAs from you most of the time. Please be generous as you know this community is built on the very fundamentals of "giving back" while you learn. If you care not to post your OAs, you might as well not post your questions. BTW, this is not just my personal observation, I guess. Most folks in this forum feel that way and I am sure your lack of cooperation gets spotted by our moderators, who do not encourage such behavior. So, please DO make your OAs available shortly after you post the questions. Thanks.

Mods, please keep a tab on this poster and share a few of your kind words of wisdom.


Dude, I posted this question on 22nd Sep. And on 24th Sep you're crying loud for OA along with your "helpless" explanations. Your coming up with your "IMO" answer doesn't necessarily mean that most of them out there are crying for OA, or most of them have gone through the problem. 2 days is way to short for declaring "your personal observation". So have patience.

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 210

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 20:44
dancinggeometry wrote:
wizardofwashington wrote:
E would be my choice as well. As a courtesy, you should also post the OA. It is freaking crazy to beg for the damn OAs from you most of the time. Please be generous as you know this community is built on the very fundamentals of "giving back" while you learn. If you care not to post your OAs, you might as well not post your questions. BTW, this is not just my personal observation, I guess. Most folks in this forum feel that way and I am sure your lack of cooperation gets spotted by our moderators, who do not encourage such behavior. So, please DO make your OAs available shortly after you post the questions. Thanks.

Mods, please keep a tab on this poster and share a few of your kind words of wisdom.


Dude, I posted this question on 22nd Sep. And on 24th Sep you're crying loud for OA along with your "helpless" explanations. Your coming up with your "IMO" answer doesn't necessarily mean that most of them out there are crying for OA, or most of them have gone through the problem. 2 days is way to short for declaring "your personal observation". So have patience.



Well, now I think you have made it a bit nasty with that arrogant response. Are you implying that you will only post the OA if you feel that you have gotten an "explanation" for your postings? If that is the attitude you are going to carry around in this forum, it is going to get really tough for you to elicit that much needed response you are looking for your questions. Not everyone has the luxury of time to sit and write a much needed explanation for every single question they would like to answer in a given amount of time the spend on gmatclub. So, most of us at times opt to post an IMO instead of a much detailed explanation, given the amount of time we get to spend on answering questions on this forum. If one is to answer 100 questions in a span of 2 hrs in this forum, he or she might only have the luxury of time to post the IMOs. If he/she opts to write detailed explanations it may be possible to answer only a few questions during the limited time. When there is enough time at hand, no one walks away from posting detailed explanations and we all do respect that code -- learn while you help other learn.

BTW, it is almost 29th Sep and you are yet to post the OA. If you haven't looked well, no one has posted a response ever since you posted that arrogant response. That should suggest you people are not fond of the way you behave around here and I am sure the mods are taking note of it too!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 118

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: Zumit SC 004 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 00:32
wizardofwashington wrote:
dancinggeometry wrote:
wizardofwashington wrote:
E would be my choice as well. As a courtesy, you should also post the OA. It is freaking crazy to beg for the damn OAs from you most of the time. Please be generous as you know this community is built on the very fundamentals of "giving back" while you learn. If you care not to post your OAs, you might as well not post your questions. BTW, this is not just my personal observation, I guess. Most folks in this forum feel that way and I am sure your lack of cooperation gets spotted by our moderators, who do not encourage such behavior. So, please DO make your OAs available shortly after you post the questions. Thanks.

Mods, please keep a tab on this poster and share a few of your kind words of wisdom.


Dude, I posted this question on 22nd Sep. And on 24th Sep you're crying loud for OA along with your "helpless" explanations. Your coming up with your "IMO" answer doesn't necessarily mean that most of them out there are crying for OA, or most of them have gone through the problem. 2 days is way to short for declaring "your personal observation". So have patience.



Well, now I think you have made it a bit nasty with that arrogant response. Are you implying that you will only post the OA if you feel that you have gotten an "explanation" for your postings? If that is the attitude you are going to carry around in this forum, it is going to get really tough for you to elicit that much needed response you are looking for your questions. Not everyone has the luxury of time to sit and write a much needed explanation for every single question they would like to answer in a given amount of time the spend on gmatclub. So, most of us at times opt to post an IMO instead of a much detailed explanation, given the amount of time we get to spend on answering questions on this forum. If one is to answer 100 questions in a span of 2 hrs in this forum, he or she might only have the luxury of time to post the IMOs. If he/she opts to write detailed explanations it may be possible to answer only a few questions during the limited time. When there is enough time at hand, no one walks away from posting detailed explanations and we all do respect that code -- learn while you help other learn.

BTW, it is almost 29th Sep and you are yet to post the OA. If you haven't looked well, no one has posted a response ever since you posted that arrogant response. That should suggest you people are not fond of the way you behave around here and I am sure the mods are taking note of it too!


Sorry dude, I had my D-Day on 27th and scored 710 (Q 49 V37). Only today I got time to come online and post my reply. I hope you understand it. I have no intention to act arrogant or make people wait for OA. Just that, I was busy in pre-test preparation and then post-exam celebration.

OA is E. The question is from ManH test series. If you guys need further explanation for OA, please do let me know.

I regret that my absence has sent bad vibes about me to GMATClub people. I'll try to post all OAs ASAP now. Wish everyone good luck for GMAT. :-D

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4482

Kudos [?]: 17046 [2], given: 1963

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 09:23
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

A. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
B. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
C. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
D. has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
E. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The original sentence contains two flaws. First, "what had become known as the
Underground Railroad" is incorrectly in the past perfect tense ("had become"). The
past perfect is used to describe a past event that occurred before another past event.
In this case, however, the "Underground Railroad" did not become known as such (or
known as anything at all) until after it was created, and there is no past action that
occurs afterward that would justify the use of the past perfect tense. Second, the
subject of the sentence is "Harriet Tubman" only; phrases such as "along with,"
"accompanied by," and "as well as" do not create plural subjects (only "and" allows for
the formation of a plural subject). Yet, the verb used in the original sentence is "were,"
which suggests a plural subject. Instead, the correct verb form "was" is necessary in
order to agree with the singular subject "Harriet Tubman."
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) This choice corrects the verb tense by replacing the past perfect with the
conditional "would become known" (used to express the future from the point of view
of the past: "I said yesterday that I would go to the store today.") However, it does not
correct the subject-verb agreement problem (retaining "were").
(C) This choice does not correct the verb tense issue, retaining the incorrect past
perfect tense. It does correct the subject-verb agreement by replacing "were" with
"was."
(D) This choice uses the incorrect and awkward verb phrase "has been becoming,"
which incorrectly suggests that the labeling of the Underground Railroad continues to
the present day. However, it does correct the subject-verb agreement by replacing
"were" with "was."
(E) CORRECT. This choice corrects the verb tense by replacing "had become" with
"would become." Moreover, it corrects the subject-verb agreement issue by replacing
"were" with "was."

_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17046 [2], given: 1963

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2014
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 10 [5], given: 7

Location: India
Reviews Badge
Re: SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 10:02
5
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

A. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
B. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
C. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
D. has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
E. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was

>>>
Stripping the sentence of the modifiers we get the sentence:
Harriet Tubman helped creat what ....... , and was responsible......
Singular subject , along with xxx needs singular verb : hence was
eliminate a,b
Options c, d ,e are contender
>>>
Meaning.
the usage of known should be logical
had become known: implies that it is known before it's creation
Past perfect(had) means the knowing is before helped(helped create)

Which is wrong
eliminate c

has been becoming known as : the effect of knowing has not completed , which is not the meaning
also this structure is redundant
eliminate d

So ANSWER IS E


KINDLY HIT KUDOS
_________________

AD

Kudos [?]: 10 [5], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 284

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 44

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 10:11
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman-{singular}, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

A. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - were is plural wrong
B. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - - were is plural wrong
C. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was- "HAD become" conveys a sense that it was known as Underground railroad before its creation. illogical. HAD is not required.
D. has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was - Has becoming is wrong as event happened in past.
E. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was - Correct.
_________________
_________________

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2015
Posts: 78

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Re: SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 10:36
321kumarsushant wrote:
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman-{singular}, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

A. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - were is plural wrong
B. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - - were is plural wrong
_________________


Can someone explain why "were is plural wrong"? I thought that since the sentence refers to Harriet Tubman and other former slaves and white abolitionists, the corrected sentence would contain a plural.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2014
Posts: 295

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 133

Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Reviews Badge
SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 18:40
gmatser1 wrote:
321kumarsushant wrote:
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman-{singular}, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

A. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - were is plural wrong
B. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - - were is plural wrong
_________________


Can someone explain why "were is plural wrong"? I thought that since the sentence refers to Harriet Tubman and other former slaves and white abolitionists, the corrected sentence would contain a plural.


Gmatser1,
Only "and" can make it plural. In this sentence, the portion that is not underlined contains "along with other former slaves" not "and with other former slaves" so the singular "was" is needed

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 133

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 21:21
Hi. Can anybody pls explain why ....would...is used here???

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 80

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 10:17
sarah1234 wrote:
Hi. Can anybody pls explain why ....would...is used here???


It became known as underground railroad in the future.
WOULD - Modal auxillary - used to indicate future possibilities.

Other uses of would - 1) Uncertainty 2) Desire 3) Telling past things 4) Future possibilities

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

Re: SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman   [#permalink] 22 May 2015, 10:17

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

SV Agreement Revision: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.