Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Switching from Engineering background to Finance [#permalink]
Why don't you undertake external certifications by doing courses from online portals such as EdX, Coursera etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Switching from Engineering background to Finance [#permalink]
Gmatisking wrote:
Give the CFA exam

Posted from my mobile device
Thanks, I think this is what I'm gonna do.
Infact I did see almsost all the profiles of those who got in top colleges having cleared at least level 1 CFA, but somehow this never crossed my mind.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shameekv1989 wrote:
Why don't you undertake external certifications by doing courses from online portals such as EdX, Coursera etc.

I don't think those are going to be enough if I want to get into schools such as LSE/LBS because I'll be competing with students who took summer school in finance from some European school, and not to forget also the students who are from finance backgrounds.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
sss8811 wrote:
Gmatisking wrote:
Give the CFA exam

Thanks, I think this is what I'm gonna do.
Infact I did see almsost all the profiles of those who got in top colleges having cleared at least level 1 CFA, but somehow this never crossed my mind.

Well I was in the same boat as you.
But first score well in the GMAT. I mean get a 700+ score.
Once that is done, if good colleges still don't acccept you then start with the CFA exams.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
sss8811,

Finance is a vast work area and i would suggest you to decide what you want to do post Masters and then decide how you want to spend your time working on it before joining he full time Finance Masters.

CFA is one area of Finance and if you want to work as Finance analyst or related area post Masters, then passing CFA level 1 would help, if not you need to think twice before enrolling in CFA considering that CFA requires huge commitment in terms of money and time to prepare for the exam.

Some of the top B Schools offer online courses to help Pre-MBA candidates, you can also look into those as you get both knowledge as well as certificate from reputed universities.
Some of the B Schools that offers these courses that immediately comes to my mind is UCLA Extension, Stanford , Berkeley Extension and HBS Online courses.

All the best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
akadiyan wrote:
Finance is a vast work area and i would suggest you to decide what you want to do post Masters and then decide how you want to spend your time working on it before joining he full time Finance Masters.

CFA is one area of Finance and if you want to work as Finance analyst or related area post Masters, then passing CFA levek 1 would help, if not you need to think twice before enrolling in CFA considering that CFA requires huge commitment in terms of money and time to prepare for the exam.

Some of the top B Schools offer online courses to help Pre-MBA candidates, you can also look into those as you get both knowledge as well as certificate from repited universities.
Some of the B Schools that offers these courses that immediately comes to my mind is UCLA Extension, Stanford , Berkeley Extension and HBS Online courses.

All the best

What about investment banking?

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts