It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Takeaways from my journey to HBS

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [3], given: 0

Schools: HBS '17 (A)
Takeaways from my journey to HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
This may be out of place since I just finished up bschool but for what its worth, here’s how I got into HBS.

Background in operations work for a large engineering company in the US. I was an Industrial Engineer in my undergrad (non-target US school) and worked as an individual contributor for 4 years at manufacturing sites for my company.

Decided to apply R1 to the top schools since my GPA and experience were sort of in line. I used a lot of P&Q ding reports to confirm this. Started studying for the GMAT in the spring of the same year. Didn’t do too hot in the sample tests from Manhattan but went and sat for the test anyways in early summer. I figured I could always retake so I went in relaxed, and ended up walking out with a score in the low to mid 700’s (very surprising since I averaged mid 600’s on the practice tests).

Now I had a decision to make, since for the top schools, my score was lower than their published averages. Got paranoid and decided to retake the GMAT and push my applications to R2. Spent the rest of the summer and fall getting crushed by application work and GMAT studies. The extra study time didn’t pay off as I ended up scoring lower the second time around, so I cancelled the score and applied with my original score.
Got interviews for about half the schools I applied to, and got accepted at HBS and Kellogg. Ended up choosing HBS. I actually considered MIT my target school but they didn’t even give me a chance to interview which was surprising.

Takeaways are:
1) Don’t stress when going into the GMAT
2) Don’t obsess about hitting the average GMAT scores. Other factors like your experience and GPA will give definitely give you leeway. For me, it was just checking the box.
3) Don’t sell yourself short, always include a couple reach schools in your applications.

GMATclub was a great resource for me when I was applying. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Kudos [?]: 8 [3], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3786 [0], given: 2445

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Takeaways from my journey to HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 10:47
Thanks very much for taking time to share your application experience with us. I am sure you had a wonderful time at HBS. What is the next plan? Where you are heading after HBS?

All the best for your next journey. We have a dedicated BSchool Reviews section on forum. We would really appreciate if you could share you learning experience at HBS in HBS reviews. Thank you! https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_schools?fl=menu

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3786 [0], given: 2445

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '17 (A)
Re: Takeaways from my journey to HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 20:24
Next up is the West Coast. Im going to be working as a PM in a tech company :)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 01:25
redbull17 wrote:
This may be out of place since I just finished up bschool but for what its worth, here’s how I got into HBS.

Background in operations work for a large engineering company in the US. I was an Industrial Engineer in my undergrad (non-target US school) and worked as an individual contributor for 4 years at manufacturing sites for my company.

Decided to apply R1 to the top schools since my GPA and experience were sort of in line. I used a lot of P&Q ding reports to confirm this. Started studying for the GMAT in the spring of the same year. Didn’t do too hot in the sample tests from Manhattan but went and sat for the test anyways in early summer. I figured I could always retake so I went in relaxed, and ended up walking out with a score in the low to mid 700’s (very surprising since I averaged mid 600’s on the practice tests).

Now I had a decision to make, since for the top schools, my score was lower than their published averages. Got paranoid and decided to retake the GMAT and push my applications to R2. Spent the rest of the summer and fall getting crushed by application work and GMAT studies. The extra study time didn’t pay off as I ended up scoring lower the second time around, so I cancelled the score and applied with my original score.
Got interviews for about half the schools I applied to, and got accepted at HBS and Kellogg. Ended up choosing HBS. I actually considered MIT my target school but they didn’t even give me a chance to interview which was surprising.

Takeaways are:
2) Don’t obsess about hitting the average GMAT scores. Other factors like your experience and GPA will give definitely give you leeway. For me, it was just checking the box.
3) Don’t sell yourself short, always include a couple reach schools in your applications.

GMATclub was a great resource for me when I was applying. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks Redbull17, great takeaways. I am sure you must have done great in your applications. Though I am still trying to figure out what should I write in my Essays, why I want to do a Masters in Business. I am still blank when I think about some valid reasons. Honestly, I want to switch my career from Engineering to Management background as I have seen managers earning a hell lot of money. But this doesn't give me enough motivation to pursue MBA and it wont get me an admission in any MBA college.
So my question : why did you go for an MBA, what motivation you had in mind while applying to colleges ?
My apologies if I am digging in too much, but I want to know a general mentality of people doing MBA.
Any suggestion/advice is most welcome.

Thanks a ton :)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 96

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 00:33
Hi redbul17

Congrats on the admit! :)

Could you tell the exact score you obtained?

I am kind of in the same situation. I scored 700 (89 percentile), appeared again and got 700 again (88th percentile ). I accepted my second score as my AWA improved to 6 (previous 5.5) and IR to 5 (previous was a very embarassing 4).

I was planning to prepare for gmat third time but now decided to prepare applications and spend time on research. Maybe will gmat again in oct /november.

Do you have any advice? Do you feel 700 is too low and I am better of retaking?

Thanks and congrats again!! :)

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 96

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 19:08
redbull17 wrote:

Takeaways are:

You were content with your undergrad GPA and relevant work experience when applying, but did you pursue anything else in the meantime to bolster your application? I am 24 and graduated a year ago and am looking at filling my free time with more opportunities. I follow my passions plenty and am looking at shelters to work with animals, but I don't think this would have a large impact on admissions. Did you branch out into any roles where you were on an organizational committee or work on any side projects that stood out?

I moved to Boston after graduating university and am looking at both MIT and HBS for myself in 3-4 years. I'd like to fill that time productively.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Takeaways from my journey to HBS   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2017, 19:08

Takeaways from my journey to HBS

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap