It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17815 [0], given: 235

Re: Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 05:16
smanujahrc wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
abrakadabra21 wrote:
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

(A) because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone
((B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are

tooth and bone are not normally found in the organ. that's not the point. Point is Teratomas are composed of tissues that
are not normally found in the organ.

(C) because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is :
their composition is not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears. This is not the intended meaning.

(E) in that they are composed of tissues such tooth and bone, tissues

I think "because" is wrong here. because that presents a causal effect relationship. Sentence want to explain how teratomas are unusal form of cancer. Key is here to understand difference between "How" and "Why". Here the meaning of sentence emphasise to "how" part.

E option is not correctly written.it should be : in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

I have one doubt tissues such as tooth and bones : tooth and bones are not example of tissues. should n't right word here is "Like"

Tissue is a cellular organizational level intermediate between cells and a complete organ. There are four types of tissues one of which is connective tissue. Blood, bone, tendon, ligament, adipose and areolar tissues are examples of connective tissues.

For more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue_(biology)

yes that is what i was saying ..like should be there in place of Such as and thus correct choice should be C

Note that bone (and hence tooth too) are a type of tissues.

For more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue_(biology)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17815 [0], given: 235

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 06:54
Hi Expert,

In one of your post, you mentioned that "in that" is specific to certain verbs such as differ.

An eagle differs from crow in that ............ --correct

Please help ! In what all cases, we can use "in that" phrase. Thanks

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1874 [1], given: 449

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Ooh, interesting question, AR15J. I can't think of many GMAT SC questions where you really have to worry about "in that" -- it's not usually a deciding factor of any sort. But for your peace of mind (which is valuable on this freaking test!!), here we go.

I can think of two uses of "in that." The first one is pretty harmless:

The reintroduction of caribou into northern Minnesota will fail if the wolf population in that region is too high.

This usage is clearly not a problem: "that region" refers to northern Minnesota (which, incidentally, is extremely beautiful -- one of the more underrated parts of the U.S.), and we're just saying that something happens "in that" region. No problem here. (See https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-wildlife-e ... 10565.html for the original example.)

This probably isn't the usage that you're worried about, though.

So here's answer choice (D) from the original question:
Quote:
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

In this usage, "in that" is a (unnecessary jargon alert!) conjunction. Basically, it means "inasmuch as" or insofar as." And I don't think that makes sense in this case.

In other uses, "in that" isn't necessarily wrong, but the GMAT calls it "stilted and overly formal" in OG 12:

Quote:
In that is a conjunction that means inasmuch as; because in that has largely gone out of use, it is considered stilted and overly formal. It also uses two words when one would do.

That's from OG 12, pg. 714. And here's a discussion of that same question here on GMAT Club: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-olympic- ... 85874.html

Bottom line: don't lose much sleep over "in that", but if you really need to grapple with it, it means "inasmuch as" -- and the GMAT seems to think that it's "stilted and overly formal." So I doubt that you'll ever see it in a correct answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1874 [1], given: 449

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 21:13
GMATNinja wrote:
Ooh, interesting question, AR15J. I can't think of many GMAT SC questions where you really have to worry about "in that" -- it's not usually a deciding factor of any sort. But for your peace of mind (which is valuable on this freaking test!!), here we go.

I can think of two uses of "in that." The first one is pretty harmless:

The reintroduction of caribou into northern Minnesota will fail if the wolf population in that region is too high.

This usage is clearly not a problem: "that region" refers to northern Minnesota (which, incidentally, is extremely beautiful -- one of the more underrated parts of the U.S.), and we're just saying that something happens "in that" region. No problem here. (See https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-wildlife-e ... 10565.html for the original example.)

This probably isn't the usage that you're worried about, though.

So here's answer choice (D) from the original question:
Quote:
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

In this usage, "in that" is a (unnecessary jargon alert!) conjunction. Basically, it means "inasmuch as" or insofar as." And I don't think that makes sense in this case.

In other uses, "in that" isn't necessarily wrong, but the GMAT calls it "stilted and overly formal" in OG 12:

Quote:
In that is a conjunction that means inasmuch as; because in that has largely gone out of use, it is considered stilted and overly formal. It also uses two words when one would do.

That's from OG 12, pg. 714. And here's a discussion of that same question here on GMAT Club: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-olympic- ... 85874.html

Bottom line: don't lose much sleep over "in that", but if you really need to grapple with it, it means "inasmuch as" -- and the GMAT seems to think that it's "stilted and overly formal." So I doubt that you'll ever see it in a correct answer.

Dear Charles,

I would like to highlight that correct choice E misses 'as' in 'such as tooth and bone'. I returned to original question.

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 22:51
First vertical split here is - because vs in that.

Because--> presents causal relationship
In that --> Answers HOW a specific phenomenon is different that the one mentioned before "in that".

As per the meaning of this sentence, it sounds more logical that sentence is trying to convey "HOW" Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer rather than "WHY" Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer. Thus use of "in that" is more sensible. D and E survives.

In D, phrase "tissues such as tooth and bone" is modifying "composition". This is incorrect.

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 64

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 04:12
still stuck up between A and E
can any expert explain why is e correct even when it doesn't contain AS after SUCH

thanks

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 64

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 20:08
According to the following post (04 Aug 2010, 09:32), the original post contained a typo, and choice E should have been "... such as tooth and bone...", not "... such tooth and bone..."

Quote:
Ramana is correct. The original question has typos. Hope this clears the "such as" :-D

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not
normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.
(B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is
(E) in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

OA : E

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 88

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 04:42
smashingpumpkins wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 208
Page: 686

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

(B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is
(E) in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

1. Tooth and Bones are examples of tissue. So usage of such as is correct and usage of like is wrong. This eliminates options B and C.
2. 'in that' is the short form of in a way that. Though its usage is almost incorrect on GMAT but on the basis of that only we cannot eliminate the answer choices. Its a non-deterministic error.
3. As per the intended meaning, tissues are not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears. Also, logically tooth and bone not normally found in the organ does not make sense. This eliminates options A, B and D. In option D, it incorrectly says that the composition of Teratomas is not normally found in the organ. This is again non sensical.
4. If we remove the non essential modifier from option C, because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues, then option C becomes,
because they are composed of tissues tissues .. this structure repeats tissues twice. So, incorrect. This eliminates option C.

So, we are only left with the correct choice E. POE can be very useful especially for a non-native like me. :)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 88

Re: Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2017, 04:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 68 posts ] 

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap