It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Test B #2 In the years since the city of London imposed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 6

Test B #2 In the years since the city of London imposed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2009, 21:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Test B #2

In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1000CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2009, 22:12
IMO..A..the assumption is too extreme and cannot be relevant with the argument facts.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2009, 01:31
"(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry." The first statement " city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry," suggest that local industry was cause of pollution in london which was brought under regulation and then the last line, "Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities." suggests that the local industries are are the primary reason for air pollution in other cities too.

IMHO the answer should be D
Quote:
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.

Since the passages does not even remotely suggest that birds are desirable. On the lighter side extending it further the we can safely assume the birds do not cause air pollution. :)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2009, 07:24
IMO A...
There is no reference to local industry.

Pollution could be because of vehicles,etc.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2009, 10:29
sudeep wrote:
IMO A...

I thought the answer was E. There is a reference to local industry right in the first sentence: "In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry..."

Since the regulations were imposed on local industry, then isn't an assumption that local industry is one of the main causes of air pollution?

Director
Director

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2009, 13:28
topher wrote:
sudeep wrote:
IMO A...

I thought the answer was E. There is a reference to local industry right in the first sentence: "In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry..."

Since the regulations were imposed on local industry, then isn't an assumption that local industry is one of the main causes of air pollution?

Ya! I was incorrect...
But economist have explained it right (entirely is too extreme word), so should be A.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 15:31
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable. -- I thought the argument was pertaining to reduciton of air pollution and a increase in brid population is only an indication that the regulating rules in London helped in reducing the air pollution.

So why should this be a valid assumption?

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 00:32
I read the arguments carefully, I agree A is bit too extreme which makes it a suitable candidate.

Re: 1000CR   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2009, 00:32

Test B #2 In the years since the city of London imposed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap