GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics

Thank you for helping me get through the 700 mark !!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kellogg '21 (I)
GPA: 4
Thank you for helping me get through the 700 mark !!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 07:29
I didn't know which thread to add to but nonetheless since I have been a regular on this site for the last 20 days I thought I'd start a post. All in all I want to thank all guys for posting questions and solutions techniques. I didn't have a lot of mind space to go through the ebooks you guys recommended but at least for me the posts were like lectures in themselves.

Kudos to all my "unpaid "tutors on the site, my score wouldn't be possible without your expertise in the matter!!

GMAT 710

Vibhav
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Thank you for helping me get through the 700 mark !!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 09:39
VN26 wrote:
I didn't know which thread to add to but nonetheless since I have been a regular on this site for the last 20 days I thought I'd start a post. All in all I want to thank all guys for posting questions and solutions techniques. I didn't have a lot of mind space to go through the ebooks you guys recommended but at least for me the posts were like lectures in themselves.

Kudos to all my "unpaid "tutors on the site, my score wouldn't be possible without your expertise in the matter!!

GMAT 710

Vibhav

Congratulations Vibhav.

Would you mind sharing some of your experiences and thoughts leading up to/on testday? :)

Such accounts are always super helpful for us others who aspire to break the 700+ barrier.

Best regards & all the best for your applications,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 04:06
Arro44 wrote:
VN26 wrote:

GMAT 710

Vibhav

Congratulations Vibhav.

Would you mind sharing some of your experiences and thoughts leading up to/on testday? :)

Such accounts are always super helpful for us others who aspire to break the 700+ barrier.

Best regards & all the best for your applications,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Exam day jitters are bound to be a part and parcel. Even I had those, but in the last 20 days I changed how I have approached problems. The only strategy that put me to rest was that I had changed my method from trying to solve them and picking up the pen to giving each problem a minute where I could understand what was being asked. They are all logic driven to some extent and most of the work that goes into the problem is how you perceive it . If it comes to you in a minute you can solve it in less than 30 secs. If ever I hit the 2 minute barrier, I guessed and moved on. But that in fact is very rare because apart from the language of the problem the work that goes into it is very little.

You seem to be nailing the verbal section and anything over the 47 raw score will take you over 700. So focus on getting the first 15 questions proper(even if you need like 3 mins) and on the later ones stick to the 2 minute strategy. DON'T JUST SOLVE LOOK FOR LOGIC!!!!

my 2c

Vibhav
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 07:58
VN26 wrote:

GMAT 710

Vibhav

Hi
Congrats on your GMAT score.
It would be really helpful if you could share your detailed strategy for preparation and the resources you used.
All the best for the applications.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 09:24
souvonik2k wrote:
VN26 wrote:

GMAT 710

Vibhav

Hi
Congrats on your GMAT score.
It would be really helpful if you could share your detailed strategy for preparation and the resources you used.
All the best for the applications.

I do not have a detailed strategy as such for math, pretty much just what I mentioned in the thread.

For the verbal bit, and given the constraints I had for time, I divided my time evenly between RC CR and SC. I referred OG 15 material for concepts and then pretty much used google for practice questions. A big chunk of my problems came from the GMAT club discussion threads. Again I wasn't really looking to perfect all 3 categories. CR and RC were my strong suits and SC, because it has a lot of rules and stuff proved challenging . I practiced the basic errors outlined and let that be.

If someone is telling you to read as much as possible to improve on RC's DON'T do it . You can't really get through any questions reading random stuff from newspapers. Its about an understanding for both RC and CR and I suggest you only solve questions that are considered GMAT material. I personally considered all answer choices for RC and CR and figured out how 4 of them were wrong. For the CR don't overthink they are looking for the answers that follow immediate logic . Killing yourself with detailed thought is something I will not advice. I will stress that I am not an expert since my preparation was limited due to limited time on my hands but an 80% accuracy overall in verbal section should push you >=37 and the advice on math shall take you >=49.

And yes the most important advice : BUY ALL GMAT OFFICIAL TESTS i.e. no 3,4,5 & 6

All in all:

OG 15
Practice from GMATClub forums
GMAT CR bible
MANhattan RC guide
GMAT ultimate grammar book
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 22:29
Congratulations!!

Totally agree, about giving at least a minute to each question in Quant. If you get the logic behind the question, you can solve it in 30 secs or less.

All the best for your applications.

Cheers,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 10:47
Hey hi, congratulations on your score, and completely agree GMAT club has helped many achieve their desired score.

I am also aiming to score above score above 700 mark and already have Manhattan mocks, do u think i should buy the Gmat prep mocks as well

Hit the the kudos button if you like the post

Verbal Resources:-
1.Aristotle RC-99 The Definitive RC Guide-Collection of 100 RC questions 2.Aristotle SC Grail -Collection of 100 SC questions3.Vocabulary List for the GMAT RC,CR and SC from the official guide

MBA Resources:-
1.Top 25 US MBA Application Fees 2018-2019 2.Top 20 US MBA Tuition Fees 2018-2019

Thanks

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 13:45
Yes , I advice you buy the official tests 3,4,5&6 . In all fairness , they should reflect your current ability within the ~ 30 range.

Good luck

Vibhav

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thank you for helping me get through the 700 mark !! &nbs [#permalink] 08 Oct 2018, 13:45

Thank you for helping me get through the 700 mark !!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap