It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Sh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135303 [1], given: 12686

The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Sh [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 03:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:34) correct 39% (03:27) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Shirley has a pass that will let her ride each ride continuously without waiting in line. For each of the four most popular rides, the ride will run for an allotted time, then stop to change passengers (in negligible time) and start again. The Sea Serpent runs every 15 minutes starting at 10am. The Wild Mouse runs every 30 minutes starting at 11am. The Raptor runs every 40 minutes starting at noon. And the Mantis runs every 45 minutes starting at 11am. Each ride runs continuously and stops only to let its passengers off and immediately begin again. If Shirley is able to get on her first ride starting at 2:00pm and wants to ride all four rides, but needs 10 minutes between rides to move from one to the next, what is the earliest time she could finish riding all four rides?

A. 4:15pm
B. 4:30pm
C. 4:45pm
D. 5:00pm
E. 5:15pm

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135303 [1], given: 12686

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 97 [1], given: 546

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Sh [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
IMO it should be C that is 4:45pm
Started at 2pm with the widl mouse , ended at 2:30pm. took 10 mins break = 2:40pm
@ 2:40pm she rode the raptor which ended at 3:20pm , took 10 mins break = 3:30pm
@3:30pm she rode the mantis which ended at 4:15pm, took 10 mins break = 4:25pm
@ 4:30pm only she could ride sea serpent which will end at 4:45pm.

Hence C

Regards
Celestial.

Kudos if it a correct solution

Bunuel wrote:
The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Shirley has a pass that will let her ride each ride continuously without waiting in line. For each of the four most popular rides, the ride will run for an allotted time, then stop to change passengers (in negligible time) and start again. The Sea Serpent runs every 15 minutes starting at 10am. The Wild Mouse runs every 30 minutes starting at 11am. The Raptor runs every 40 minutes starting at noon. And the Mantis runs every 45 minutes starting at 11am. Each ride runs continuously and stops only to let its passengers off and immediately begin again. If Shirley is able to get on her first ride starting at 2:00pm and wants to ride all four rides, but needs 10 minutes between rides to move from one to the next, what is the earliest time she could finish riding all four rides?

Kudos [?]: 97 [1], given: 546

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [1], given: 113

Re: The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Sh [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

C for me as below.

First the 45 mins ride, then 30 min, ride, 40 min ride, and finally 15 min ride.

Bunuel wrote:

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 40 [1], given: 113

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 175

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 20:44
solved it ... answer is C .. but took 5 mints :(
any shortcut on this ?

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 175

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18100 [3], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
adityadon wrote:
solved it ... answer is C .. but took 5 mints :(
any shortcut on this ?

It does require you to find the ride timing pattern but thereafter, it takes a few secs only. She enters at 2 so jot down the timings from 2 onwards:

SS - 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, 3:00, 3:15 (ignore 10, 10:15, 10:30 etc)
WM - 2:00, 2:30, 3:00, 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 (ignore 11, 11:30...etc)
Rap - 2:00, 2:40, 3:20, 4:00, 4:40, (ignore 12, 12:40, 1:20 though you need to review them in mind to know at what time the first ride runs at or after 2)
Man - 2:00, 2:45, 3:30, 4:15, 5:00 (ignore 11, 11:45, 12:30, 1:15)

Now look for exact 10 min intervals between the rides to take minimum time. Look at the highlighted spots: WM from 2 to 2:30, Rap from 2:40 to 3:20 and Man from 3:30 to 4:15. Now you are left with SS which you can start at 4:30 (15 min break) and get done by 4:45. Note that you took 5 mins more than the minimum time you could have taken riding each ride with 10 mins breaks.
Looking at the options, you see that 4:45 is there and the earlier option is 4:30. There is no way you could have been done by 4:30 since you took only 5 mins more than the minimum. Hence (C) must be the answer.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18100 [3], given: 236

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 562 [1], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Sh [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

First thing to note is that all the rides will be in ready to board state at 2PM . how ?
sea serpent @10am + 15*4*4mins = 2PM
Wild mouse @11am + 30*2*3mins = 2PM
Raptor @12PM + 40*3 = 2PM
Manits @11AM + 45*4= 2PM

now i see these four numbers and quickly identified that we have to start with wild mouse as i will get 30,40,45 all in series with 10min gap.
15, 30 , 40 , 45

30(wild mouse) +10(min wait) =40(raptor 40*1)
30+10(wait)+40+10(wait) =90(Mantis 45*2)
30+10(wait)+40+10(wait)+45+10(wait)=145
as 15*10=150 so she has to wait for another 5 mins so finally the the total time taken is

30+10(wait)+40+10(wait)+45+10(wait)+5(min)+15 = 165mins .

2PM + 165mins = 4PM + 45Mins

answer C

Thanks,
Lucky

Kudos [?]: 562 [1], given: 75

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135303 [0], given: 12686

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 02:29
Bunuel wrote:

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

The good news is that all four rides will begin exactly at 2pm, so you have a common starting point to begin mapping out her afternoon. Also noteworthy is that only one ride (the 40-minute Raptor) has a duration that’s not a multiple of 15, meaning that fitting in the Raptor will be interesting. One way to minimize the amount of time, then, is to look at which other numbers (15, 30, and 45) will, with a 10-minute break after, end in a 40 or 20. That allows you to start with the 30-minute ride from 2pm to 2:30, then take the mandatory 10 minute break, and immediately get on the 2:40 ride for the 40-minute event. That takes you to 3:20, and a 10-minute break gets you to exactly 3:30, when any of the remaining two (the 45-minute ride and the 15-minute ride) will be leaving. If you then take the 45-minute ride, that will take you to 4:15, at which point you need one more 10-minute break to get to 4:25. Now is your first “deadweight” piece of time, a 5-minute rest until 4:30 when you can take the 15-minute ride and be done at 4:45.

With a time of 4:45 already achieved, D and E are eliminated. And since there were only 5 “wasted” (not riding, not walking from ride to ride in a 10-minute break) minutes, there clearly isn’t a way to shave down to 4:30. Therefore you can confidently pick C, the correct answer.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135303 [0], given: 12686

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 13:20
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 09:42
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Sh   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 09:42

The afternoon before a popular amusement park opens for the season, Sh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap