Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [47]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [37]
Given Kudos: 298
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [6]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The amount of money estimated to be lost by Hollywood studios due to [#permalink]
I am convinced with D, as it is irrelevant to the conclusion. But why E is wrong. Increased DVD sales are strengthening the argument not weakening it.
I initially picked D, but changed it to E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: The amount of money estimated to be lost by Hollywood studios due to [#permalink]
Kudos
gmacvik wrote:
I am convinced with D, as it is irrelevant to the conclusion. But why E is wrong. Increased DVD sales are strengthening the argument not weakening it.
I initially picked D, but changed it to E

E saysDomestic DVD sales were sharply higher last year; in the past, strong domestic sales have been an indicator of higher international DVD sales in the following year.

The argument concludes that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide.

If E is true, it provides a possibility that international DVD sales will be high this year. (Indicating a good prospect).

Thus E weakens the argument.

Originally posted by ncp on 17 Feb 2007, 16:39.
Last edited by ncp on 17 Feb 2007, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The amount of money estimated to be lost by Hollywood studios due to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

This argument concludes that “Hollywood studios have little chance of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide,” based on the premise that profits from piracy overseas rose sharply last year. The argument assumes that no other relevant conditions have changed for the better since then. The question asks for a choice that does not weaken the argument, which means that the correct answer will either strengthen it or is irrelevant.

(A) This choice weakens the argument. It attacks the necessary assumption that $500 million is a large enough amount to destroy Hollywood profits.

(B) This choice weakens the argument. It attacks the necessary assumption that there would not be a heightened and effective law enforcement campaign against piracy.

(C) This choice weakens the argument. It attacks the assumption that there are no other ways for Hollywood studios to profit from export of its films than DVDs.

(D) CORRECT. This choice is irrelevant. The conclusion (and premise) concern money. That all of the Academy Award-nominated films were pirated last year does not increase or diminish the probability of Hollywood studios making money this year. Thus, this does not weaken the argument.

(E) This choice makes the conclusion less likely by providing a premise that suggests that this year’s profits internationally will rise.

Originally posted by agourav on 01 Sep 2013, 10:43.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Mar 2019, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted.
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
That's right. For a question like this, you want to think "not-weaken" rather than "strengthen". If a response is irrelevant, it does not weaken the argument. In this case, that makes it the right choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
zoskybuck wrote:
The amount of money estimated to be lost by Hollywood studios due to DVD piracy overseas increased to more than $500 million last year. As a consequence, Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide.

All of the following, if true, weaken the argument EXCEPT:

NOTE THAT THIS QUESTION IS ASKING US TO FIND THAT ONE ANSWER THAT ACTUALLY STRENGTHEN THE ARGUMENT THAT HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS HAVE LITTLE PROSPECT OF MAKING MONEY THIS YEAR BY EXPORTING THEIR FILMS WORLDWIDE.."ALL OF THE FOLLOWING IF TRUE WEAKEN THE ARGUMENT EXCEPT" JUST MEANS TO FIND THAT SINGLE OPTION WHICH WILL ACTUALLY STRENGTHEN THE ARGUMENT!!!

A. $500 million represents a very small fraction of overseas profits.This is irrelevant..Tells us nothing about the prospect of Hollywood studios making money this year

B. New laws and heightened international enforcement aimed at this piracy were implemented in January of this year and have been effective.Actually weakens the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide

C. Even in countries where DVD piracy is widespread, theatrical first-run distribution is both very popular and profitable. Also weakens the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide

D. Last year, all films that were nominated for an Academy Award were known to have been pirated on DVD.Bingo..This actually supports the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide..Films nominated for Academy awards are usually the big hits in each given year and thus it is safe to assume that the same films that will be nominated this year for the awards will be the big hits and thus will also be pirated on DVD ..

E. Domestic DVD sales were sharply higher last year; in the past, strong domestic sales have been an indicator of higher international DVD sales in the following year.This actually weakens the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide

A KUDOS WOULDN'T HURT IF YOU FIND THIS EXPLANATION HELPFUL!!!I WILL SURELY APPRECIATE IT..

Hi zoskybuck,

If A is irrelevant as per you then it should be the answer.

As this question ask ALL OF THE FOLLOWING WEAKENS THE ARGUMENT EXCEPT.

Every option in CR does one the following three things.
1) Either is Strengthen the argument.
2) Or Weaken the argument
3) Neutral- not at all related to argument.

So in this question each option must weaken the argument.
And if we come across ny option which either Strengthen the argument or NEUTRAL, that should be the answer.

chetan2u / daagh,

Can you please share your thoughts in this.
I choose the answer as E.
Bcz according to me it strengthen the argument.

However I am unable to find out how other option are weakening the argument.

Please assist.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
zoskybuck wrote:
The amount of money estimated to be lost by Hollywood studios due to DVD piracy overseas increased to more than $500 million last year. As a consequence, Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide.

NOTE THAT THIS QUESTION IS ASKING US TO FIND THAT ONE ANSWER THAT ACTUALLY STRENGTHEN THE ARGUMENT THAT HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS HAVE LITTLE PROSPECT OF MAKING MONEY THIS YEAR BY EXPORTING THEIR FILMS WORLDWIDE.."ALL OF THE FOLLOWING IF TRUE WEAKEN THE ARGUMENT EXCEPT" JUST MEANS TO FIND THAT SINGLE OPTION WHICH WILL ACTUALLY STRENGTHEN THE ARGUMENT!!!

A. $500 million represents a very small fraction of overseas profits.This is irrelevant..Tells us nothing about the prospect of Hollywood studios making money this year

B. New laws and heightened international enforcement aimed at this piracy were implemented in January of this year and have been effective.Actually weakens the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide

C. Even in countries where DVD piracy is widespread, theatrical first-run distribution is both very popular and profitable. Also weakens the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide

D. Last year, all films that were nominated for an Academy Award were known to have been pirated on DVD.Bingo..This actually supports the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide..Films nominated for Academy awards are usually the big hits in each given year and thus it is safe to assume that the same films that will be nominated this year for the awards will be the big hits and thus will also be pirated on DVD ..

E. Domestic DVD sales were sharply higher last year; in the past, strong domestic sales have been an indicator of higher international DVD sales in the following year.This actually weakens the argument that Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide

A KUDOS WOULDN'T HURT IF YOU FIND THIS EXPLANATION HELPFUL!!!I WILL SURELY APPRECIATE IT..

Hi zoskybuck,

And if we come across ny option which either Strengthen the argument or NEUTRAL, that should be the answer.

chetan2u / daagh,

Please assist.

@ RAHKARP27071989,yeah you are correct by saying that "all of the following if true weakens the argument" means we either select that one which strengthen the argument or is neutral but if you ask me,i will say that strengthen the argument should take precedence over being neutral..if you look at this problem,Option A is totally irrelevant if you asked me..$500 million dollars or any amount for that matter was not even mentioned in the argument or was it referred to in the slightest way..Option D actually talks about all films nominated for the Oscar awards last year being pirated on DVD..Its actually talking about piracy here which is the main issue in the argument..For that fact,it should take precedence over Option A ..consider Option D first..only when it has been found out that it weakens the argument should you go ahead and pick option A...Hope i helped with my explanation!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
zoskybuck wrote:
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
zoskybuck wrote:

Hi zoskybuck,

chetan2u / daagh,

Please assist.

@ RAHKARP27071989,yeah you are correct by saying that "all of the following if true weakens the argument" means we either select that one which strengthen the argument or is neutral but if you ask me,i will say that strengthen the argument should take precedence over being neutral..if you look at this problem,Option A is totally irrelevant if you asked me..$500 million dollars or any amount for that matter was not even mentioned in the argument or was it referred to in the slightest way..Option D actually talks about all films nominated for the Oscar awards last year being pirated on DVD..Its actually talking about piracy here which is the main issue in the argument..For that fact,it should take precedence over Option A ..consider Option D first..only when it has been found out that it weakens the argument should you go ahead and pick option A...Hope i helped with my explanation!!!

Hi zoskybuck,

A is weakening the argument.
Let me tell you my reasoning behind this..

Lets first paraphrase the conclusion-

Conclusion- Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year by exporting their films worldwide.

In a layman language we can say that the Hollywood studios is thinking that it can't make much profit by exporting their films worldwide.
So, if we find an option which says--> By exporting their films worldwide Hollywood studios CAN make profit.

A. $500 million represents a very small fraction of overseas profits

Let me give you an example

Suppose you have a domestic business which gives you a profit of 10 million annually. But because of rising local competition you are now able to make a profit of 6 million only.
So now you are at a loss of 10M- 6M= 4 M.
Now suddenly you got a strategy that if if you export your business product internationally then you can compensate the loss. but you think that exporting your products will going to add extra cost-->> Lets say 1 million . Therefore you are reluctant to implement the plan
Your conclusion- are reluctant to implement the plan because you can't make profit

Now you only implement the plan if I assure you that you will definitely make 5 million of profit ( 4 M previous loss + 1 M Add on cost)

Now I say.

:arrow: 5 Million represents a very small fraction of overseas profits--> means you can earn much more 6M... 10 M... 20 M...and so on

Hence your conclusion is WEAKENED....

You will definitely implement the plan NOW

Same option A says here.

Hope it helps... :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos

Conclusion here is that the Hollywood studio will not able to make money from export. Why ? because their revenue from the sales of exported movies will not be able to fill the hole that has been created by DVD Piracy related loses
To weaken - we need something that says - YES there is no chance of profit.
Any thing that does not contribute to prfiting the hollywood studio is our candidate for the right answer

A. $500 million represents a very small fraction of overseas profits. -- This says even after a loss of $500 Million , there will be handsome amount of profit left

B. New laws and heightened international enforcement aimed at this piracy were implemented in January of this year and have been effective.

This says loss was from last year and thins year loss will be far less because security is high. Hence there is high chance of profit

C. Even in countries where DVD piracy is widespread, theatrical first-run distribution is both very popular and profitable.
- This directly confirms proft

D. Last year, all films that were nominated for an Academy Award were known to have been pirated on DVD.

- This does not comment of profit at all. Academy Award winning movies may not be from hollywood studio and may not contribute to profit or loss of it atall.
Hence this is the ANSWER (D)

E. Domestic DVD sales were sharply higher last year; in the past, strong domestic sales have been an indicator of higher international DVD sales in the following year
-This says because of high domestic sale , a know sales pattern will increase international sale of exported movies. Hence profit is guranteed

Answer (D)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31909 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos