Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:20 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32976 [5]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
The atrocities committed during the Second World War by the National [#permalink]
Kudos
pratishtha27 wrote:
for question 1, why is b the correct answer instead of c? statement 1 is stated in the last para of the passage

I thought it was C at first too, but then I noticed that statement 1 says "Some events that occurred during World War II do not appear in history books."

This has a different meaning from what's mentioned in the passage - "Far less known, however, are the mass deportations that took place almost two years after the conclusion of the war."
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32976 [0]
Send PM
Re: The atrocities committed during the Second World War by the National [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SCismynightmare wrote:
In question no. 2, how is statement 1 a weakener? I eliminated the first statement because I according to me the "belief" that eastern and central European powers were in fact hoping to create more multicultural societies is not a strong weakener, also it directly goes against a fact mentioned in the passage.

Official Explanation

2. Which of the following, if true, would weaken the claim that the Allied powers had something to gain from the deportations?

Explanation

The second half of the first paragraph lists the reasons why the Soviet Union, Britain, and the United States, respectively, had something to gain from the deportations. Each of the answer choices above undermines one of these reasons. Note the “if true” in the question stem. You are being asked to momentarily take each answer choice as a fact, and then determine whether that fact would weaken an argument from the passage. “If true” questions can sometimes ask you imagine that wacky or unlikely things are true — don’t let that distract you from the task at hand.

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32976 [3]
Send PM
Re: The atrocities committed during the Second World War by the National [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pratishtha27 wrote:
for question 1, why is b the correct answer instead of c? statement 1 is stated in the last para of the passage

Official Explanation

1. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

Explanation

The last sentence tells you that the deportation of German-speaking citizens by the Allied powers is excised from history books because history is written by the victors — this makes the first statement look attractive, but the statement says during World War II. The passage is clear that the deportations took place almost two years after the conclusion of the war. The third answer choice can be inferred from the claim that the United States hoped to keep Eastern and Central European nations away from Soviet influence, meaning that the United States and the Soviet Union were not fully aligned in their views. After you are told that the Allied powers, too, had something to gain, the powers listed are the Soviet Union, Britain, and the United States. Poland, however, is listed among countries before the “too,” which means you cannot infer that it was an Allied power. (Make sure not to bring outside information into these types of questions. This is not a question about what you know about World War II — it’s a question about whether certain things are actually written down in the passage.)

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V35
Send PM
Kudos
I still have a doubt in question 1,

The statement given in the OE to justify how we can infer the 3rd statement is still unclear to me. The third answer choice can be inferred from the claim that the United States hoped to keep Eastern and Central European nations away from Soviet influence, meaning that the United States and the Soviet Union were not fully aligned in their views.

I think that America wanting to keeping the European nation's away from Soviet's influence does not necessarily mean that Soviet's and USA's political views do not fully align. It could also mean that maybe USA wants to influence these counties itself? Hence, while I understand the explanation provided I still think that the manner in which the 3rd statement is drafted is not airtight. It says "not fully aligning their political view" but America wanting to keep soviet's influence may just be its personal agenda or tactic which may not have anything to do with political matters?

Please can anyone help me understand why that statement must be true or maybe tell me if I am reading a bit too much into this statement?

Sajjad1994
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
SCismynightmare wrote:
In question no. 2, how is statement 1 a weakener? I eliminated the first statement because I according to me the "belief" that eastern and central European powers were in fact hoping to create more multicultural societies is not a strong weakener, also it directly goes against a fact mentioned in the passage.

Official Explanation

2. Which of the following, if true, would weaken the claim that the Allied powers had something to gain from the deportations?

Explanation

The second half of the first paragraph lists the reasons why the Soviet Union, Britain, and the United States, respectively, had something to gain from the deportations. Each of the answer choices above undermines one of these reasons. Note the “if true” in the question stem. You are being asked to momentarily take each answer choice as a fact, and then determine whether that fact would weaken an argument from the passage. “If true” questions can sometimes ask you imagine that wacky or unlikely things are true — don’t let that distract you from the task at hand.

CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW E IS CORRECT, MEANING HOW ALL THREE ARE WEAKINING THE FACT ALLIED GOVT. HAD TO GAIN FROM DEPORTATION??
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32976 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhishektarget750 wrote:
CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW E IS CORRECT, MEANING HOW ALL THREE ARE WEAKINING THE FACT ALLIED GOVT. HAD TO GAIN FROM DEPORTATION??

Explanation

Difficulty Level: 750

I. The United States believed that the Eastern and Central European powers hoped to create more multicultural, ethnically mixed societies.
This statement, if true, suggests that the Eastern and Central European powers had different motivations for the deportations than those attributed to them in the passage. If these powers were aiming for more multicultural and ethnically mixed societies, it contradicts the idea that they were primarily focused on ethnic homogeneity. This weakens the claim that the deportations were driven solely by a desire to punish Germans and increase ethnic homogeneity.

II. The Soviet Union wanted to profit from post-war trade between Germany and Poland.
This statement, if true, introduces an alternative motivation for the Soviet Union's actions. If the Soviet Union was primarily interested in economic gains from trade, it weakens the claim that their main goal was to undermine relations between Germany and Poland through the deportations.

III. Britain, weary of the killing during the war, pledged itself to preventing suffering.
This statement, if true, suggests that Britain's motivation for supporting the deportations was not to reinforce the completeness of Germany's defeat, but rather to prevent suffering. This contradicts the idea that Britain had something to gain from the deportations and weakens the claim that they were solely interested in causing suffering.

Overall, if any of these statements are true, they provide alternative explanations for the motivations of the Allied powers, which weakens the claim that they had something to gain from the deportations. Since all three statements (I, II, and III) provide such alternative explanations, the correct answer is (E) I, II, and III.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can this also be an reason for the STATEMENT 1 “[I. Some events that occurred during World War II do not appear in history books.]” in QUESTION 1 to be wrong- that it did appeared on some history books which can be inferred from the last para “ [That this episode is practically excised from the history books in some countries, however“]… or i am inferring wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Scheller
GPA: 7.9
Send PM
SCismynightmare wrote:

­And the United States, in turn, was attempting to cozy up to the nations of Eastern and Central Europe in the hopes of keeping them away from Soviet influence. - This statement shows that the US supported deportation being pushed by the Eastern and Central Europe countries to cozy up to these countries enforcing the deportation. 

However, if Statement 1 were true, it would suggest that United States was not motivated by self-interest rather than it truly believed in the cause being advocated by the countries, which is not the case in reality. 

As an allied power, US's shift in motivations, as per Statement 1, would directly weaken the argument made against the decisions of the allied powers. 

Hence, Statement 1 would be a weakener. 
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13963 posts