GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 365
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2012, 23:08
1
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:57) correct 47% (02:00) wrong based on 574 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Location: Korea, Republic of
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2012, 23:58
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

Whew... a long sentence...


A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
Correct

B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear

can't use that before comma

C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear

-Distortion of the meaning
The statement is generalizing the phenomenon.

D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them

-Distortion of the meaning

E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear

Wrong usage of the modifier
_________________

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2012, 06:56
I was undecided between A & E.

Could someone explain why E is wrong?

E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear

Would the following modification have made the option correct?

" are often in the 100kHz range, which is inaudible to the human ear"
(Adding comma, and replacing 'that with 'which')
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 365
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2012, 08:02
3
ahmadrulz wrote:
I was undecided between A & E.

Could someone explain why E is wrong?

E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear

Would the following modification have made the option correct?

" are often in the 100kHz range, which is inaudible to the human ear"
(Adding comma, and replacing 'that with 'which')


E has logic issues:
most of the sounds are NOT in the 100kHz range
rather
the FREQUENCIES are in the 100kHz range.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 62
Schools: IIM
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2012, 09:39
The answer should be A

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, [color=#ff0000]because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range,[/color] that makes them inaudible to the human ear - Run on sentence
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear - sounds are inaudible not the frequencies
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them - sounds are audible to human ear not to human being
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear - whether 100 KHz range is inaudible or sounds of 100 KHz frequencies are inaudible
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 53
Location: United States
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2012, 21:15
can we use because and therefore in the same sentence, are they not redundant?

regardless of volume, seems to modify tiny parts inside a computer :)

I chose E, but A is better logically. But A as well has problems.

macjas wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 646
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 01:47
1
I choose choice A because I do not see any error in this sentence. however, I will stand on a little to explain why other choice is wrong.

macjas wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear => the frequency of the sounds ... are... => S-V agreement error.
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear
=> in logical term and meaning, the word after therefore should be the sounds, not the frequencies.
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being (should be human ear, not human being) because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible [color=#ed145b]=> range cannot be inaudible to the human ear[/color] to the human ear

_________________

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 286
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:09
This is an interesting problem. I thought A was fine but read each of the remaining options. If I were to go with either, it would be D or E. D has missing info and E seems to slightly change the sentence.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2012
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:53
Of course C, other options have either modification error or meaning distortion.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 145
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2012, 00:18
macjas wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear


i pick A here. does gmat test solely on punctuation??? even though other options have minor error. but i think punctuation is the major error in this SC
_________________

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 301
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2012, 14:56
1
Definitely a labyrinthine sentence :).

Best way to attack it is by finding the one or two words each answer choice (except the correct answer) that are faulty. Elimination will get us quickly (or at least relatively quickly :)) to the correct answer:


The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect

B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear

C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear

Here the answer choice is implying that 'the tiny parts' have frequencies. It is the sound they generate that has a frequency.

D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them

E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear

Need to use 'which' instead of 'that' because we are referring to all 100KHZ sounds.
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 06:38
uledssul wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

Whew... a long sentence...


A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
Correct

B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear

can't use that before comma

C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear

-Distortion of the meaning
The statement is generalizing the phenomenon.

D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them

-Distortion of the meaning

E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear

Wrong usage of the modifier


Is the usage of "their" correct in the answer choice A . I would assume that "its" would be more appropriate.

When do we choose "they" and when do we choose "it".

Thanks
Mazerath
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 124
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 08:39
macjas wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear



IMO A is the correct answer.
A sounds correct.
B.."therefore, because" use make this a wrong choice
C..it is the sound which is in some X frequency range is inaudible and not the frequency itself
D..use of therefore at wrong place and use of being make this incorrect.
E..presence of conclusive word would have made it more clear and use of that is not good.
_________________

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 365
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 23:17
mazerath wrote:
uledssul wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

Whew... a long sentence...


A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
Correct

B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear

can't use that before comma

C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear

-Distortion of the meaning
The statement is generalizing the phenomenon.

D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them

-Distortion of the meaning

E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear

Wrong usage of the modifier


Is the usage of "their" correct in the answer choice A . I would assume that "its" would be more appropriate.

When do we choose "they" and when do we choose "it".

Thanks
Mazerath


Hey Mazerath,

They, Them ,Their are plural.
It and It's are singular.

In A, their logically refers to "sounds" so we need to use a plural pronoun "their"

Also guys I was just wondering, the part that is not underlined:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency
seems awkward to me. Why would you say 20kHz frequency, its like saying The car can accelerate to 100mi/h speed in ten seconds?
Just a thought...
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz freq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 23:54
Thank you for giving more good information about GMAT test.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 197
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2014, 08:29
macjas wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear


You need here a therefore after the semi-colon

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect - CORRECT
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear - the construction of the sentence is not logic here
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear - You cannot have : parts inside a computer often in the 100 kHz range
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them - You need a therefore after the semi colon
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear - You need a therefore after the semi colon

The correct answer is A!

hih
_________________

Think outside the box

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 9
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V22
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 14:23
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

In the above statement the construction is -

Independent Clause (Subject +Working Verb...) ; Independent Marker, Independent Clause (Subject +Working Verb...)

Note that -therefore is the Independent marker , which shows that independent clause is there and this construction generally used after ;

note that there is no problem in original sentence , now the POE
A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect-Correct
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear- after ; IC should come, note in this option no IC is present, because starts a dependent clause ( used for reasoning ) and that also starts the dependent clause ( relative pronoun )
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear - wrong-- intended meaning is changes as per the original sentence -sounds are inaudible to the ear , not the frequencies
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them - being is wrong here as it is used to present the temporary state , original sentence is talking about the fact
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear - wrong , as in option C the intended meaning is changed , here that modifies 100 KHz range
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Mar 2018
Posts: 182
Premium Member
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 08:44
Paris75 wrote:
macjas wrote:
The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz frequency; therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect.

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear


You need here a therefore after the semi-colon

A.therefore, most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer — regardless of volume — are inaudible to the human ear, because their frequencies are often in the 100 kHz range — too high for the human ear to detect - CORRECT
B.therefore, because the frequency of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer are often in the 100 kHz range, that makes them inaudible to the human ear - the construction of the sentence is not logic here
C.therefore, the frequencies of the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—often in the 100 kHz range, are inaudible to the human ear - You cannot have : parts inside a computer often in the 100 kHz range
D.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are therefore inaudible to a human being because of their frequencies being too high for the human ear to detect them - You need a therefore after the semi colon
E.most of the sounds made by the tiny parts inside a computer—regardless of volume—are often in the 100 kHz range that is inaudible to the human ear - You need a therefore after the semi colon

The correct answer is A!

hih

Bumping it
You need a therefore after a semi-colon
Is that a rule? GMATNinja generis or any experts
_________________

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2027
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 09:03
2
itisSheldon wrote:
Bumping it
You need a therefore after a semi-colon
Is that a rule? GMATNinja generis or any experts

Sorry, it is definitely NOT a rule that you need a "therefore" after the semicolon! The only rule you really need to worry about in this situation: semicolons need to separate two independent clauses. And sure, "therefore" COULD be part of an independent clause, but it certainly isn't necessary. More on GMAT's treatment of punctuation in this video.

I hope this helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 22:47
GMATNinja wrote:
itisSheldon wrote:
Bumping it
You need a therefore after a semi-colon
Is that a rule? GMATNinja generis or any experts

Sorry, it is definitely NOT a rule that you need a "therefore" after the semicolon! The only rule you really need to worry about in this situation: semicolons need to separate two independent clauses. And sure, "therefore" COULD be part of an independent clause, but it certainly isn't necessary. More on GMAT's treatment of punctuation in this video.

I hope this helps!


Hi
Actually I eliminated all options with "Therefore". I though independent clauses cannot start with "therefore".
Can you please provide some examples where "therefore" is a be part of an independent clause.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz &nbs [#permalink] 19 Apr 2018, 22:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The average human being can hear sounds of up to 20 kHz

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.