Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618840 [4]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618840 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [0]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Re: The CEO of a major fast-food chain just released a statement indicatin [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Not convinced with Sudarshan's reasoning.Can someone throw some liight?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The CEO of a major fast-food chain just released a statement indicatin [#permalink]
Does additives that cause addition mean unhealthy?

I chose A, because other choices do not talk about health of customers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
prashant6923 wrote:

Addiction to fast food in itself is not healthier at all which refutes the claim of CEO of making the food healthier
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
The CEO of a major fast-food chain just released a statement indicatin [#permalink]
prashant6923 wrote:

Making fast food addictive will make customers go back for more and more and eat more than required. The advantage gained by smaller portion sizes will be negated.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
prashant6923 wrote:

First of all , I would like to ask what is your take on this. If you are saying that Sudarshan's reasoning is not convincing ,do throw some light on why you think it is not convincing.

Coming back to option A.

A. While the fast-food chain is improving certain ingredients, they are still including additives that tend to make customers addicted to the fast food.

So the CEO's take is that by downsizing proportions and eliminating unsaturated fats, his fast food chain would better serve customers with healthy meals.

Option A says the food chain is including additives that tend to make customers addicted to fast food. If people will become addicted to fast food,how would they have healthy meals.

This would weaken the CEO's claim mentioned above.

Hope that helps!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
gzsakuraz wrote:
Does additives that cause addition mean unhealthy?

I chose A, because other choices do not talk about health of customers.

A isn't the perfect option, BUT it certainly is better than other option which makes it correct. The GMAT ask you to select the best answer choice.
Regarding your doubt about the additives, YES it indirectly might mean unhealthy. Going by known facts and logic, fast food is considered unhealthier than home cooked nutritious food, however healthy the fast food might be. Additives make one crave for fast food. Eating fast food on a regular basis is unhealthy. Thus use of additives make one's diet unhealthy.

I hope this helps you clear your doubt.

Regards,
Vaibhav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
The CEO of a major fast-food chain just released a statement indicatin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel GMATNinja carouselambra , I came down between A and E, and the explanation provided here is not convincing. Can you please explain.

My understanding for A is that the restaurants made it healthier, but there are still addictive in the food. However, what is wrong with being addicted to good and healthy food?

E - items didn't change, but the ingredient got healthier. However, who is to say what it means to have "healthier ingredient?" what if the healthier ingredient is still bad for your body?

Hence, I chose E. Please correct me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
weiwang922 wrote:
Bunuel GMATNinja carouselambra , I came down between A and E, and the explanation provided here is not convincing. Can you please explain.

My understanding for A is that the restaurants made it healthier, but there are still addictive in the food. However, what is wrong with being addicted to good and healthy food?

E - items didn't change, but the ingredient got healthier. However, who is to say what it means to have "healthier ingredient?" what if the healthier ingredient is still bad for your body?

Hence, I chose E. Please correct me.

Let's break the argument down for you.

The CEO of a major fast-food chain just released a statement indicating that the chain has revamped its ingredient list and revised its menu options so that all selections on the menu are now healthier than any of the menus from competing fast-food chains. Among the changes that will be made, the fast-food chain will be eliminating unsaturated fats and downsizing portions. He claims, "We've heard the request of our customers for healthier meals, and with the changes we're making we'll be offering our customers better choices. Our customers will now have healthy fast-food options that put all other fast-food chains to shame."

To weaken : Prove that the restaurant is actually NOT offering better choices.
Let's look at both the options

A. While the fast-food chain is improving certain ingredients, they are still including additives that tend to make customers addicted to the fast food.
Keeping in mind the "kind" of statement we need to weaken the argument, try relating this with the argument now. Doesn't this weaken the argument?
If the fast-food chain is STILL including substances that tend to attract customers to fast food, the conclusion gets negated as the chain has proudly claimed that :
1. They were offering better/healthier choices
2. They will put all other fast-food chains to shame (there was an assumption that the other chains were not serving healthier options)

So,if the fast-food chain is including additives, the above points automatically cancel out.

Now, option (E)
The fast-food chain has not removed many of its previous menu items but has instead simply replaced the unhealthy ingredients with healthier options and reduced the portion sizes.

Two things - Where in the passage has it been mentioned that the food chain would "remove" the previous items?
Passage says: chain has revamped its ingredient list and revised its menu options
This automatically makes (E) a weak contender. Even otherwise, how does this option assure that audience will not prefer this kind of fast food after amendments and this in turn will make them healthier? This option merely supports the claim. It does not weaken the conclusion.

Remember to focus on the CONCLUSION only.

Cheers :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts