Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [6]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [2]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: The closing of the recreation center has been strongly protested becau [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO B

The closing of the recreation center has been strongly protested because the center provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well.

A) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well
Parallelism error

B) provides a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults
Correct parallelism

C) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults
Parallelism error

D) provides a gathering place for community members, to offer activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults
Parallelism error

E) has provided a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults
Parallelism is ok, but has Tense error
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The closing of the recreation center has been strongly protested becau [#permalink]
Kudos
Sentence Structure:
Subject-Verb:
The closing of the recreation center has been strongly protested because

the center provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well.

Analysis:
1. S-V agreement: fine
2. Parallelism issue detected: the list contains three elements provides , offers and a number of continuing education classes - two verbs and a noun phrase. Eliminate (A)
3. Meaning is not absolutely crystal clear to me; two meanings come to my mind:
First, center provides and offers ; second: center provides, offering. The latter alternative uses V-ing modifier to present how? aspect.

We need to look for answer choice, which resolves parallelism issue.

A) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well [/i]- incorrect as explained above

B) provides a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - this one resolves parallelism issue spotted in (A); looks good to me. "provides" is action verb for the subject while "offering" and "hosting" are V-ing modifiers that present "How?" aspect.

C) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - parallelism issue is still here; the list: provides, offers and hosting does not work; Verb is never parallel to V-ing modifier. Eliminate (C)

D) provides a gathering place for community members, to offer activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - the list here still breaks parallelism paradigm; in addition switch to "to offer" introduce intent, which was absent in the meaning of (A) and illogical

E) has provided a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - this answer choice makes me stop in a minute to compare it with choice (B). Parallelism issue is also resolved here. I eliminated this answer choice because there is no good reason to shift tense from present simple to present perfect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
The closing of the recreation center has been strongly protested because the center provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well.

Hi,
I have gone against the wind here. Everyone before seems to have chosen B, where as I have chosen E and I believe its right.Why?
The opening statement "The closing of the recreation center has been strongly protested" is in non-underlined portion of the sentence and it says that the recreation centre has already been closed. So, whatever it was used for is a thing of past. Thats why I rejected A,B,C & D.
I will still give reasons for individual option statement.
Quote:
A) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well
Provides, offers, and hosted should have been parallel. but they are not. its verb, verb, and phrase, making it incorrect.
Quote:
B) provides a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults
Provides, offering, and hosting should have been parallel. But they are not, making it incorrect.
Quote:
C) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults

Provides, offers, and hosting should have been parallel. but they are not, making it incorrect.
Quote:
D) provides a gathering place for community members, to offer activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults

Provides, to offer, and hosting should have been parallel. but they are not. Plus, infinitive form of offer changes the meaning, making it incorrect.
Quote:
E) has provided a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults
This option is a different story altogether. Change in tense did catch my eye, but it made complete sense when I read it.
Now, the sentence means to say that before the recreational center was closed, it provided a gathering place for its members: activities for senior citizens, and education classes for adults. offering and hosting are parallel. This seems to be the best option out of the five.
E it is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with B, but shouldn't the comma before "and hosting" be removed? as "hosting" is only the second item of the modifying list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos

A) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well -> not parallel

B) provides a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults -> Verbing correctly modifies the previous clause

C) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults -> not parallel

D) provides a gathering place for community members, to offer activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults -> not parallel

E) has provided a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults -> Verbing correctly modifies the previous clause

Now, between B and E, i think prefect tense makes more sense, so IMO: E is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Kudos
Doer01 wrote:
Quote:
This option is a different story altogether. Change in tense did catch my eye, but it made complete sense when I read it.
Now, the sentence means to say that before the recreational center was closed, it provided a gathering place for its members: activities for senior citizens, and education classes for adults. offering and hosting are parallel. This seems to be the best option out of the five.
E it is.

Hey Doer01, it's an interesting catch. But I'm not sure that we can comfortably assume that the center was closed. As per my understanding of Present Perfect tense, the usage of "has provided" suggests that the center provided and still provides those services (despite the protests). What's more, wouldn't it be more clear, if the sentence used Past Perfect to emphasize the order of the actions? (e.g. The closing was protested because it had provided a gathering place...") In that case it would explicitly say that: the center had provided smth -> and then it was closed.

Personally, I'm leaning towards (B). The closing of the center has been protested (the protests continues until now/has some effect on the present). Why? Because the center provides (general and current description of its role) a gathering place. These two verb-ing modifiers modify the preceding clause by giving additional information, so they are OK.

Btw, you said that in (B) "provides, offering, and hosting" are not parallel, but in (E) there's the same issue (has provided, offering, and hosting are also not "parallel"). Why it's not a concern now? :)

Kudos to you for my internal English-tenses-games. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All ,

I think the answer should be C :
After all ,sentence meaning and and the associated logic matter .

As per the SC question , the closing of the centre has been protested — present perfect tense . Now just see why it is strongly protested ? Because the centre does some beneficial job for different category of people , be it the members or senior citizens or adults .

So the centre’s roles or the centre’s activities are still there : present tense is best going to justify a habitual action !! Hence (E) out .

Now coming to the other options : before analysing the parallelism , check the logical meaning of the context being provided .

Option (A) the last part starting from “and a number of “ is not awkward ; neither it’s parallel now it goes with the flow of the sentence

Option (B) run on sentence

Option (C) correct (as per my understanding )

Option (D) use of an infinite verb in the middle is awkward.

Experts and GMAT enthusiasts are welcome to comment and provide their views on the above .

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi bartk,
Keen analysis mate. I treated the last two verbing modifier as the result of the preceding clause in E.
You're right about my analysis of Option B. I should have treated both as verbing modifier.
But then, I read EpilepticLearner 's analysis and that made me wonder and question the legitimacy of the question itself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
I think the correct answer is B. The question test parallelism and verb tense. Center "provides" is correct in simple tense since the center do provide those x,y,and z currently. So E is out. B gives the most parallel structure.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Doer01
Yeah, I was thinking about that comma too, but I can't really tell whether it's 100% correct or wrong. Anyway, it's not the decisive issue since only option (C) doesn't have it.

And, LeenaSai, (C) is IMO wrong for other, more important reason. It tries to say that the center has three functions: 1) it provides a gathering place for community members 2) offers activities to senior citizens 3) hosts a number of continuing education classes for adults. And it'd be fine, if all the verbs were parallel, but they're not. "Hosting" is not parallel to "offers" and "provides" and that's why it can't stand for that third function. Btw, why do you think that (B) is a run on sentence?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos

A) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well( correct, though unlike B parallalesim is missed. But no Major errors in the clauses and connectors . comma + and is properly followed by the IC. A number - followed by plural verb )

B) provides a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults ( wrong , as comma plus and should be followed with IC , not just modifier)

C) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults( wrong , though the IC error is rectified, but parallelism is being missed )

D) provides a gathering place for community members, to offer activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults( wrong , as comma plus and should be followed with IC , not just modifier)

E) has provided a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults ( wrong , as comma plus and should be followed with IC , not just modifier and unnecessary perfect tense )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
IMO correct answer is B, though i am not sure about that :roll:

A) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well - Incorrect, it misses the parallelism, 2 verbs & the last part is a noun phrase.

B) provides a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - I made a huge pause here :dazed ... But then realized that "offering" & "hosting" are acting here as VerbING modifier which is actually modifying how the Recreation center provides gathering, it is basically modifying the preceding entire clause - Seems correct.

C) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - missing parallelism

D) provides a gathering place for community members, to offer activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - Missing parallelism.

E) has provided a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults - unnecessary use of perfect tense

This was mainly testing the concept of Parallelism & modifier.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
ccheryn wrote:

A) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens, and a number of continuing education classes for adults are hosted there as well( correct, though unlike B parallalesim is missed. But no Major errors in the clauses and connectors . comma + and is properly followed by the IC. A number - followed by plural verb )

B) provides a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults ( wrong , as comma plus and should be followed with IC , not just modifier)

C) provides a gathering place for community members, offers activities to senior citizens and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults( wrong , though the IC error is rectified, but parallelism is being missed )

D) provides a gathering place for community members, to offer activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults( wrong , as comma plus and should be followed with IC , not just modifier)

E) has provided a gathering place for community members, offering activities to senior citizens, and hosting a number of continuing education classes for adults ( wrong , as comma plus and should be followed with IC , not just modifier and unnecessary perfect tense )

ccheryn, now again your answer put a bug doubt on my thinking.
nice...dont know but seems the IC error & "a number" is correctly used, not sure how parallelism is working here.
Lets then wait for the OA & OE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
There's no consensus at all on this question. I don't know who to trust. All answers seem questionable. Help needed. Thank you !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja I chose B. I see the OA is C and also some explanations for it but I still cannot understand. Can you please explain how the OA is C.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
This seems to be an exercise on parallelism. We are looking for structure does X by, doing Y and doing Z. Only B fits this pattern.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Doer01 Yeah, I know. I'm also not convinced.

I'm wondering whether option (C) lacks something like "to" after "housing". It'd make more sense but still wouldn't be great in my opinion.

As I look now at the answer choices, that comma before "and" is OK. It seperates two verb-ing modifier. Without it, the meaning could change to something like "the center offers activities and hosting...". It still makes sense but choice (C), which is the only choice that doesn't have that comma, lacks a conjunction (e.g. and) between "members" and "offers" and that's not cool.

So in order to make (C) correct we need something like:
The closing of the recreation center has been strongly protested because the center provides a gathering place for community members and offers activities to senior citizens and hosting to a number of continuing education classes for adults.

But that's just my opinion. I'm not an expert.

I guess we have to wait for Generis's explanation. Hopefully, he'll clear all doubts. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts