Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investig [#permalink]
that Vs Who-----who is correct for batsman(people)
D is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investig [#permalink]
getgyan wrote:
The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.

A. to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.
B. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.
C. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, having fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applying for political asylum there.
D. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.
E. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who has fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and is subsequently applying for political asylum there.

here "for investigating" is not correct.
The correct usage is "to investigate".
Therefore, B and E are out.
In C "having fled" is not correct.
We need "who" to refer to person and not "That"
Therefore the correct answer is D

+1D
Whats OA
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
getgyan wrote:
The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.

A. to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.
B. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.
C. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, having fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applying for political asylum there.
D. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.
E. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who has fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and is subsequently applying for political asylum there.

A. that cannot modify batsman.
B. to investigate>>for investigating. Infinitive implies intent which is correct here!.
C. "having" usage is wrong. See below for detail. Also tenses are screwed up.
D. Correct.
E. Same error as B.

Problem with having.
"having" generally implies cause of something that happens.
For example.
Having scored a bad GPA, I could not get admitted to any of the ivy leagues.
Having fled from China, the fugitive escaped the clutches of the hostile governemnt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
what is the difference between to investigate and for investigating. When should you one or the other ?
Can some body explain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
rrkan wrote:
what is the difference between to investigate and for investigating. When should you one or the other ?
Can some body explain

Hi ...

the difference is :-

I am going for further investigation on a case ( I am leaving the place for some reason /investigation)without object sentence can stand /object is weak
I am going to investigating further ( I am leaving the place for some reason /investigation)) without object sentence can stand
I am going to investigate ----> on what -- > on a case
So I am going to investigate on this case (without object sentence cannot stand,if you write without object ,there will be pending Q -> what r going to investigate)

if its wrong please let me know
-------------------------------------
Kudos if you llike :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anukrati wrote:
getgyan wrote:

my answer is D ..

why Not A :- wrong uses of That, After that "fled " is used ,so "applied" is good to use rather " has subsequently applied"

why Not B : - for investigating

why Not C :- main thing :- we cannot say applying is verb here ;so after and SV missing . second Having fled use is unnecessary

why Not E :- is applying doesnot fit ; already fled and already appllied
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rrkan wrote:
I am still not able to understand. Can somebody explain me more please. I got the answer right.

its good that you got right answer.it means you know the concept in practice .

if you know this

For :- possessive

To :- separation

second thing we prefer infinitive ( to + verb ),because it has more clarity .

last thing after for there should be Noun / Gerund , not verb

-----------------------------------------------------------
let me know if I am wrong .
---------------------

help me to earn kudos :-D if you like the post.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
getgyan wrote:

to investigate is better than for investigating ==> A, C, D remain.
D is correct:
* the batsman ==> "who" is correct.
* Parallel: fled the team...... and applied for.......
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
to investigate seems to be the better option and fled and applied maintains ||'sm
Plus who modifies correctly the batsman so D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts