It is currently 27 Jun 2017, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investig [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2011, 23:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:53) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 54 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.

A. to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.

B. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.

C. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, having fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applying for political asylum there.

D. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.

E. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who has fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and is subsequently applying for political asylum there.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge
Re: The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investig [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2011, 02:05
therock wrote:
6. The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investigate the case
of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and
has subsequently applied for political asylum there.

A. to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in
Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum
there.

B. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in
Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum
there.

C. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, having fled the team hotel in
Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applying for political asylum
there.

D. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in
Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum
there.

E. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who has fled the team
hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and is subsequently applying for political
asylum there.

who > that
to investigate > for investigating

who > that A OUT. C "having fled" OUT. B has "investigating" OUT. E has "applying" OUT.
D remains.
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investig [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2011, 02:51
When we want to indicate a purpose, the purpose is expressed better by the idiomatic use of an infinitive, such as ‘to investigate’ in this case. So we can ignore B and E.
The second split is //ism. In A, 'that fled and has subsequently applied' is unparallel. In C, ‘having fled and subsequently applying’ is un//.

D remains. ‘who fled and subsequently applied’ is //. Correct choice

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2012, 00:21
that Vs Who-----who is correct for batsman(people)
D is correct.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2012, 23:58
getgyan wrote:
The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.

A. to investigate the case of the missing batsman that fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and has subsequently applied for political asylum there.
B. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.
C. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, having fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applying for political asylum there.
D. to investigate the case of the missing batsman, who fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and subsequently applied for political asylum there.
E. for investigating the case of the missing batsman, who has fled the team hotel in Amsterdam to go to London and is subsequently applying for political asylum there.

here "for investigating" is not correct.
The correct usage is "to investigate".
Therefore, B and E are out.
In C "having fled" is not correct.
We need "who" to refer to person and not "That"
Therefore the correct answer is D

+1D
Whats OA
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 04:20
getgyan wrote:

A. that cannot modify batsman.
B. to investigate>>for investigating. Infinitive implies intent which is correct here!.
C. "having" usage is wrong. See below for detail. Also tenses are screwed up.
D. Correct.
E. Same error as B.

Problem with having.
"having" generally implies cause of something that happens.
For example.
Having scored a bad GPA, I could not get admitted to any of the ivy leagues.
Having fled from China, the fugitive escaped the clutches of the hostile governemnt.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 08:38
what is the difference between to investigate and for investigating. When should you one or the other ?
Can some body explain
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 09:52
rrkan wrote:
what is the difference between to investigate and for investigating. When should you one or the other ?
Can some body explain

Hi ...

the difference is :-

I am going for further investigation on a case ( I am leaving the place for some reason /investigation)without object sentence can stand /object is weak
I am going to investigating further ( I am leaving the place for some reason /investigation)) without object sentence can stand
I am going to investigate ----> on what -- > on a case
So I am going to investigate on this case (without object sentence cannot stand,if you write without object ,there will be pending Q -> what r going to investigate)

if its wrong please let me know
-------------------------------------
Kudos if you llike :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 10:07
anukrati wrote:
getgyan wrote:

my answer is D ..

why Not A :- wrong uses of That, After that "fled " is used ,so "applied" is good to use rather " has subsequently applied"

why Not B : - for investigating

why Not C :- main thing :- we cannot say applying is verb here ;so after and SV missing . second Having fled use is unnecessary

why Not E :- is applying doesnot fit ; already fled and already appllied
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 15:32
rrkan wrote:
I am still not able to understand. Can somebody explain me more please. I got the answer right.

its good that you got right answer.it means you know the concept in practice .

if you know this

For :- possessive

To :- separation

second thing we prefer infinitive ( to + verb ),because it has more clarity .

last thing after for there should be Noun / Gerund , not verb

-----------------------------------------------------------
let me know if I am wrong .
---------------------

help me to earn kudos :-D if you like the post.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 15:34
it could be written as

The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee for an investigation on the case of the missing batsman that
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2013, 00:40
getgyan wrote:

to investigate is better than for investigating ==> A, C, D remain.
D is correct:
* the batsman ==> "who" is correct.
* Parallel: fled the team...... and applied for.......

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 05:57
to investigate seems to be the better option and fled and applied maintains ||'sm
Plus who modifies correctly the batsman so D

KINDLY KUDOS IF YOU LIKE THE POST

Re: The Cricket Board has constituted a three-member committee to investig   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2016, 05:57