Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [73]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [60]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Re: The emission of sulfur dioxide when high-sulfur coal is burned is rest [#permalink]
(C).

Clean before buring coal is more (or less) expensive than filter after burning coal? If i know which is cheaper (or more expensive), then i can decide if i will save money or not by whichever of the 2 processes i use.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: The emission of sulfur dioxide when high-sulfur coal is burned is rest [#permalink]
hi,

why can not we have option B as our answer? please explain in detail.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My process step by step

1) read the entire passage carefully. This takes time, but saves you more valuable time later because you won't have to re-read question or answer options out of confusion.
2) understand what the stem asks: what do you need to evaluate the claim: how new coal-burning plants could save money?
Then, WHAT is the claim in your own words
- claim is: comparison of costs and savings between 2 different processes. You must compare both processes because how can you determine how the new coal-burning plants could save money if you have nothing to compare it to?
3) go through each answer option, and mark on your paper (notes are key, all the questions I ever get absolutely wrong are ones where I have no notes)

a) irrelevant - because points to law
b) cost, yes --> installing costs are compared, irrelevant because 1) new plant has been installed, and 2) question stem asks: how new coal-burning plants could save money, i.e. inference is that since it is in existence, so installation is irrelevant. Answer is C:
c) cost, yes --> CORRECT because we are comparing costs between the two different processes
d) irrelevant - because points to law & environment
e) irrelevant - because about competition
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
saurya_s wrote:
The emission of sulfur dioxide when high-sulfur coal is burned is restricted by law. New coal-burning plants usually comply with the law by installing expensive equipment to filter sulfur dioxide from their emissions. These new plants could save money by installing instead less expensive cleaning equipment that chemically removes most sulphur from coal before combustion.

Which of the following, if known, would be most relevant to evaluating the claim above about how new coal-burning plants could save money?

A. Whether existing oil-burning plants are required to filter sulfur dioxide from their emissions
Oil Burning? Making wrong comparision

B. Whether the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in a new plant is less than the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in an older plant
Making com-parision between new and older plants, while question is all about NEW PLANTS

C. Whether the process of cleaning the coal is more expensive than the process of filtering the emissions
talks about cost in process and compares right points, strong enough

D. Whether lawful emissions of sulfur dioxide from coal-burning plants are damaging the environment
Talks about something else entirely

E. Whether existing plants that use the filtering equipment could replace this equipment with the cleaning equipment and still compete with new plants that install the cleaning equipment
this options involves cleaning process in new plants, but it compares yield of new and old plants, which is completely out of context
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
saurya_s wrote:
The emission of sulfur dioxide when high-sulfur coal is burned is restricted by law. New coal-burning plants usually comply with the law by installing expensive equipment to filter sulfur dioxide from their emissions. These new plants could save money by installing instead less expensive cleaning equipment that chemically removes most sulfur from coal before combustion.

Which of the following, if known, would be most relevant to evaluating the claim above about how new coal-burning plants could save money?

(A) Whether existing oil-burning plants are required to filter sulfur dioxide from their emissions

(B) Whether the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in a new plant is less than the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in an older plant

(C) Whether the process of cleaning the coal is more expensive than the process of filtering the emissions

(D) Whether lawful emissions of sulfur dioxide from coal-burning plants are damaging the environment

(E) Whether existing plants that use the filtering equipment could replace this equipment with the cleaning equipment and still compete with new plants that install the cleaning equipment

Only two options are strong contenders: B and C.

The entire argument is about new plants. (If you thought otherwise, read it again.)

Entire argument is about "New Plant" but choice B is about doing something in new plants vs. doing something in older plants. We don't care about older plants at all, so, a fortiori, we don't care about any comparison between older and newer plants either.-- Thanks to RON PUREWAL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: HBS '25
Send PM
I incorrectly answered Choice B. The correct choice is choice C, which distinguises between the two technologies. I was fooled by old and new plants in Choice B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
saurya_s wrote:
The emission of sulfur dioxide when high-sulfur coal is burned is restricted by law. New coal-burning plants usually comply with the law by installing expensive equipment to filter sulfur dioxide from their emissions. These new plants could save money by installing instead less expensive cleaning equipment that chemically removes most sulfur from coal before combustion.

(A) Whether existing oil-burning plants are required to filter sulfur dioxide from their emissions

(B) Whether the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in a new plant is less than the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in an older plant

(C) Whether the process of cleaning the coal is more expensive than the process of filtering the emissions

(D) Whether lawful emissions of sulfur dioxide from coal-burning plants are damaging the environment

(E) Whether existing plants that use the filtering equipment could replace this equipment with the cleaning equipment and still compete with new plants that install the cleaning equipment
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
The emission of sulfur dioxide when high-sulfur coal is burned is rest [#permalink]
Fact 1-> SO2 emission from burning high-sulfur coal is restricted by law.
Fact 2-> New plants comply by expensive installs to filter SO2 from emission.
Fact 3-> new cleaning equipment install is < expensive than new filter install
———————————————————————————————————————————————
Conclusion -> new plants could save money by installing less expensive cleaning equipment.

Assumption -> new cleaning equipment must be cheaper in other aspects as well to keep overall low.

Q is what additional info would help decide for new cleaning install equipment to adopt or not.

A) emission is restricted, so this option has to be true.
B) install cost of new plant vs old plant is irrelevant to conclusion drawn.
C) process expense doesn’t necessarily correlates to overall financial aspect.
D) environmental damage is ultimate goal but out of scope for current conclusion. Focus is to reduce cost.
E) new install helps cutdown SO2 emission. Replacing filtering install with cleaning install and competence wold help decide whether to adopt new cleaning install.

I know OA is C) , but My Ans : E)

My doubt; how does process expense correlates to overall monetary benefit and what's wrong with my thought process for option E)?

Can someone clarify my doubt?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
KarishmaB Ma'am,

Why cannot option B be the answer?
If the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in a new plant is less than the expense of installing the cleaning equipment in an older plant, then overall the new plants can save money.

Please evaluate where I am going wrong?

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saurya_s wrote:

SO2 emission is not allowed.
New plants install expensive equipment to filter SO2 from their emissions.
Instead, they should remove sulphur from coal before burning because coal cleaning equipment is cheaper.
They will save money.

The argument says that coal has sulphur which when burned gives SO2. Most new plants filter out SO2 after burning the coal. Instead they should remove sulphur itself from the coal so that SO2 doesn't get created because equipment that removes sulphur is cheaper than equipment that filters out SO2.

What is relevant to know whether new plants would save money by switching to the author's advice?

First note that we are discussing the options the new plants have to comply with the law while spending the least money. There is no comparison with old plants. We don't know what they do and what is best for them. We want to know whether coal cleaning is cheaper for new plants than removing SO2 from the emissions.

Existing plants and their requirements are irrelevant.

Again, we are not comparing cost for new plants vs cost for old. We are comparing the cost of cleaning coal vs cost of filtering emissions for new plants only.

Correct. We know that equipment of cleaning coal is cheaper. But is the process of cleaning coal cheaper too? Or is it more expensive such that it nullifies the advantage gained by using cheaper equipment?

Reason for the law is irrelevant.

Existing plants are irrelevant.

Answer (C)
Tutor
Affiliations: Co-founder at a GMAT Prep Company
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q88 V89 DI84
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
The emission of sulfur dioxide when high-sulfur coal is burned is rest [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rahularman wrote:
Fact 1-> SO2 emission from burning high-sulfur coal is restricted by law.
Fact 2-> New plants comply by expensive installs to filter SO2 from emission.
Fact 3-> new cleaning equipment install is < expensive than new filter install
———————————————————————————————————————————————
Conclusion -> new plants could save money by installing less expensive cleaning equipment.

Assumption -> new cleaning equipment must be cheaper in other aspects as well to keep overall low.

Q is what additional info would help decide for new cleaning install equipment to adopt or not.

A) emission is restricted, so this option has to be true.
B) install cost of new plant vs old plant is irrelevant to conclusion drawn.
C) process expense doesn’t necessarily correlates to overall financial aspect.
D) environmental damage is ultimate goal but out of scope for current conclusion. Focus is to reduce cost.
E) new install helps cutdown SO2 emission. Replacing filtering install with cleaning install and competence wold help decide whether to adopt new cleaning install.

I know OA is C) , but My Ans : E)

My doubt; how does process expense correlates to overall monetary benefit and what's wrong with my thought process for option E)?

Can someone clarify my doubt?

Hi rahularman, I will try to help delineate between (C) and (E).

In any CR question, pay special attention to the conclusion. Here, note that the conclusion is related very specifically to new plants' saving money by choosing one process over the other. However, while the initial costs for P2 are lower, this does not imply that the total costs incurred using P2 will be lower as well. Option (C) addresses this gap and is therefore the correct answer.

Option (E) tries to compare new plants and other plants. However, the conclusion doesn't focus on a relative inter-group comparison, but rather on an intra-group comparison. Hence whether the new plant can compete profitably with respect to the other plants is out of scope. We are only concerned with whether the new plants, mentioned in the question, can be more profitable than they would be if they were using P1.

Hope this helps -- please let me know if there are any queries.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts