Last visit was: 20 Jul 2024, 20:47 It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 20:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2276 [15]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [13]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8988 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: The evolution of sex ratios has produced, in most plants and animals [#permalink]
Skywalker18 wrote:
1.The author suggests that the work of Fisher and Hamilton was similar in that both scientists

(A) conducted their research at approximately the same time - Incorrect - Fisher put forward 2nd view in 1930.
Although no time explicitly has been mentioned for Hamilton, we can infer that sometime has been passed since Fisher's research because of"Since Fisher’s time, it has been realized that genes can "
(B) sought to manipulate the sex ratios of some of the animals they studied - Incorrect - Nowhere has manipulation been discussed.
(C) sought an explanation of why certain sex ratios exist and remain stable - Correct - a one-to-one sex ratio is the only stable ratio; it is an “evolutionary stable strategy
(D) studied game theory, thereby providing important groundwork for the later development of strategy theory - Incorrect
(E) studied reproduction in the same animal species - Incorrect

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the mathematical theory of games has been

(A) developed by scientists with an interest in genetics - Out of scope - The passage DOES NOT mention who develops the game theory
(B) adopted by Hamilton in his research - ISWAT- Like Fisher, Hamilton looked for an evolutionary stable strategy, but he went a step further in recognizing that he was looking for a strategy.
Based on this we CANNOT infer that Hamilton adopted game theory in research.
(C) helpful in explaining how genes can sometimes influence gametes - Irrelevant - Since Fisher’s time, it has been realized that genes can sometimes influence the chromosome or gamete in which they find themselves so that the gamete will be more likely to participate in fertilization. If such a gene occurs on a sex-determining (X or Y) chromosome, then highly aberrant sex ratios can occur.
(D) based on animals studies conducted prior to 1930 - Incorrect - The other, and in my view correct, type of answer was first put forward by Fisher in 1930. This “genetic” argument starts from the assumption that genes can influence the relative numbers of male and female offspring produced by an individual carrying the genes.
Fisher developed the 2nd view but nowhere in the passage is it mentioned that game theory is based on Fisher's research
(E) useful in explaining some biological phenomena - Correct

Although Fisher wrote before the mathematical theory of games had been developed, his theory incorporates the essential feature of a game—that the best strategy to adopt depends on what others are doing.

But more immediately relevant to game theory are the sex ratios in certain parasitic wasp species that have a large excess of females.

Answer E

For question 2, C is irrelevant because it is not explaining how genes influence gametes. Rather , per the exceprt,

But more immediately relevant to game theory are the sex ratios in certain parasitic wasp species that have a large excess of females.

we can be sure of the game theory's applicability to the wasps aberrantly high sex ratio. In short, just an example of applicabilty of game theory has been stated and this is irrelevant to the explanation.

Please point out flaw in my reasoning, if any.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 550 Q40 V30
Send PM
Re: The evolution of sex ratios has produced, in most plants and animals [#permalink]
Please explain question number 5

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
Send PM
Please someone provide explanation of q3,4
In q3 why can't the III part be correct, as we can determine the sex ratio on basis of fertilized and unfertilized eggs.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36686 [0]
Given Kudos: 5831
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
dhilavikash wrote:
Please explain question number 5

Explanation

5. According to the passage, successful game strategy depends on

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

(A) the ability to adjust one’s behavior in light of the behavior of others

It is clearly mentioned in the lines:

Although Fisher wrote before the mathematical theory of games had been developed, his theory incorporates the essential feature of a game—that the best strategy to adopt depends on what others are doing.

(B) one’s awareness that there is safety in numbers

Nothing about safety is discussed

(C) the degree of stability one can create in one’s immediate environment

We don't know anything about the degree of stability

(D) the accuracy with which one can predict future events

Out of context

(E) the success one achieves in conserving and storing one’s resources

Out of context

Answer: A
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36686 [0]
Given Kudos: 5831
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
sidharth2412 wrote:
Please someone provide explanation of q3,4
In q3 why can't the III part be correct, as we can determine the sex ratio on basis of fertilized and unfertilized eggs.

Explanation

3. The passage contains information that would answer which of the following questions about wasps?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

Reference lines from the passage: Only the second paragraph discusses wasp

But more immediately relevant to game theory is the sex ratios in certain parasitic wasp species that have a large excess of females. In these species, fertilized eggs develop into females and unfertilized eggs into males. A female stores sperm and can determine the sex of each egg she lays by fertilizing it or leaving it unfertilized. By Fisher’s argument, it should still pay a female to produce equal numbers of sons and daughters. Hamilton, noting that the eggs develop within their host—the larva of another insect—and that the newly emerged adult wasps mate immediately and disperse, offered a remarkably cogent analysis.

All this text supports only II

Answer: B

4. It can be inferred that the author discusses the genetic theory in greater detail than the group selection theory primarily because he believes that the genetic theory is more

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

This is comparatively a straightforward question, the lines that lead to the answer are:

The other, and in my view correct, type of answer was first put forward by Fisher in 1930.

That is why only accurate is correct.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 897
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
Please explain Q2 and Q7?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
The evolution of sex ratios has produced, in most plants and animals [#permalink]
Kudos
junii

The following sentences are important to answer Q2.

"The other, and in my view correct, type of answer was first put forward by Fisher in 1930."

The author thinks Fisher's theory is correct.

"Although Fisher wrote before the mathematical theory of games had been developed, his theory incorporates the essential feature of a game—that the best strategy to adopt depends on what others are doing."

The author may be inferred to admire Fisher because Fisher was "before his time".

"Since Fisher’s time, it has been realized that genes can sometimes influence the chromosome or gamete in which they find themselves so that the gamete will be more likely to participate in fertilization."

The author implies that more recent research are based on a deeper understanding of some phenomenon, i.e. is more "up-to-date".

D is the best answer.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6990 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14065 posts