GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

The Federal Reserve Board's reduction of interest rates on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Reviews Badge
The Federal Reserve Board's reduction of interest rates on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Aug 2017, 04:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:18) correct 22% (01:21) wrong based on 183 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Federal Reserve Board's reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions is both an acknowledgment of past economic trends and an effort to influence their future direction.

A. reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions is both an acknowledgment of past economic trends and an effort

B. reduction of interest rates on loans to financialinstitutions is an acknowledgment both of pasteconomic trends as well as an effort

C. reduction of interest rates on loans to financialinstitutions both acknowledge past economictrends and attempt

D. reducing interest rates on loans to financialinstitutions is an acknowledgment both of pasteconomic trends and an effort

E. reducing interest rates on loans to financial institutions both acknowledge past economic trends as well as attempt

Originally posted by goalsnr on 18 Jul 2008, 08:22.
Last edited by broall on 18 Aug 2017, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
SVP
SVP
Re: The Federal Reserve Board's reduction of interest rates on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2008, 08:49
goalsnr wrote:
The Federal Reserve Board's reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions is both an acknowledgment of past economic trends and an effort to influence their future direction.

A. reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions is both an acknowledgment of past economic trends and an effort

B. reduction of interest rates on loans to financialinstitutions is an acknowledgment both of pasteconomic trends as well as an effort

C. reduction of interest rates on loans to financialinstitutions both acknowledge past economictrends and attempt

D. reducing interest rates on loans to financialinstitutions is an acknowledgment both of pasteconomic trends and an effort

E. reducing interest rates on loans to financial institutions both acknowledge past economic trends as well as attempt

WHy is C incorrect?

C -- Sub -Verb Agreements.
Board's reduction -- acknowledge (should be acknowledges)

for idiom "Both X and Y" --> Can X and Y be verbs?????? Can someone through lights on this.

A is good.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 09:42
OA is A

1. We need a Noun "reduction" and not a "participle" to give menaing to the SC.
-> D,E are out

2. Both X and Y is an idiom
B,E are out

3. Noun - "reduction" is singular ,
"acknowledge " and "attempt " are plural .
C->Out

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 09:55
goalsnr wrote:
OA is A

1. We need a Noun "reduction" and not a "participle" to give menaing to the SC.
-> D,E are out

2. Both X and Y is an idiom
B,E are out

3. Noun - "reduction" is singular ,
"acknowledge " and "attempt " are plural .
C->Out

C. reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions both acknowledge past economic trends and attempt

Yes true acknowledge(plural) and attempt are not in agreement with reduction.Again here
both is not linked correctly to trends and attempt but rather appears
to be linked with financial institutions.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2008, 10:05

This is how I worked this out.

D and E are out because reduction is required instead of reducing.

Amongst A, B and C

I broke the sentence down.

In A

i. reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions is an acknowledgment of past economic trends.
ii reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions is an effort to influence financial institutions future direction.

In C

i. reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions acknowledge past economic trends.
ii reduction of interest rates on loans to financial institutions attempt to influence financial institutions future direction.

Attempt to - for plural subject

Hope it helps

We need to be cautious when we say what is plural.

For eg

He made several attempts to clear his exam.

when used as an object , attempts is plural...

when used as a verb attempts is a singular verb.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 23:55
Hi folks,

I am replying in response to a question here regarding the usage of both..and to link two verbs.
if anyone is interested to know the usage of both...and (not only...but also usage is mentioned as well) please go through the examples under the link :
http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/conj-paired.html
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2016, 09:34
Can some one throw some light on the use of 'reduction' instead of 'reducing' here.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2016, 16:03
ynk Generally, if we want a noun and there's a noun form available (reduction vs. reducing), we'll go with that. We say "I am involved in research, development, and manufacturing" because there's no word "manufaction" or "manufacturement." We don't want to go with "researching, developing, and manufacturing" for parallelism's sake, unless of course we are using all those words as verbs.

The form possessive + -ing used in D and E ("the Board's reducing") can certainly be correct in other circumstances:

Do you mind my eating the last cookie?
I object to your [i]arriving
late.[/i]

In the first case, "eating" is our only option, since there is no separate noun form for "eat." However, in the second case, there is a noun form available. I could have said "I object to your late arrival." However, in this case the meaning changes slightly. In the example above, I might object to the idea of you arriving late, even if it hasn't happened yet. I could use this form before or after the fact. In the "arrival" version, it sounds like you've already arrived late, and now I don't like it.

If you want to see an official Q that shifts between -ing and standard noun forms, check this out. The correct answer only uses -ing for nouns when no other form is available.

building-from-civilization-83997.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 01:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Federal Reserve Board's reduction of interest rates on &nbs [#permalink] 10 Sep 2018, 01:52

The Federal Reserve Board's reduction of interest rates on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap