GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 14:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     08:00 PM MST

     09:00 PM MST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 240
The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2012, 02:01
21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:43) correct 59% (01:36) wrong based on 335 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a glass sphere, with center O, placed on top of a vertical pole that is 4 meters high. What is the height QR of the streetlight?

(1) The radius of the pole is 6 centimeters.

(2) The radius OQ of the sphere is 24 centimeters.

Attachments

IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 5596 times ]

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50544
Re: PT #3 DS 6  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2012, 02:24
1
eybrj2 wrote:
The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a glass sphere, with center O, placed on top of a vertical pole that is 4 meters high. What is the height QR of the streetlight?

(1) The radius of the pole is 6 centimeters.

(2) The radius OQ of the sphere is 24 centimeters.


There is absolutely no need to actually calculate the height QR. Just notice that the height of a pole (given) and the radius of the pole completely defines (fixes) it. The same way the radius of a sphere completely defines (fixes) it. So, only if we have defined (fixed) pole and defined (fixed) sphere we can be able to say how much below the top of the pole the sphere goes, and we'll be able to calculate QR.

Both statements together provide us with the info needed: the radius of the pole and the radius of the sphere. Hence when taken together statements are sufficient.

Answer: C.

P.S. When dealing with DS problems try to avoid calculations as much as possible. Remember DS problems do not ask you to solve, but rather to determine if you are ABLE to solve and in many cases you can determine that a statement is sufficient without working out all of the math.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 221
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: PT #3 DS 6  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2012, 04:12
Bunuel wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a glass sphere, with center O, placed on top of a vertical pole that is 4 meters high. What is the height QR of the streetlight?

(1) The radius of the pole is 6 centimeters.

(2) The radius OQ of the sphere is 24 centimeters.


There is absolutely no need to actually calculate the height QR. Just notice that the height of a pole (given) and the radius of the pole completely defines (fixes) it. The same way the radius of a sphere completely defines (fixes) it. So, only if we have defined (fixed) pole and defined (fixed) sphere we can be able to say how much below the top of the pole the sphere goes, and we'll be able to calculate QR.

Both statements together provide us with the info needed: the radius of the pole and the radius of the sphere. Hence when taken together statements are sufficient.

Answer: C.

P.S. When dealing with DS problems try to avoid calculations as much as possible. Remember DS problems do not ask you to solve, but rather to determine if you are ABLE to solve and in many cases you can determine that a statement is sufficient without working out all of the math.

Hope it's clear.


Hi Bunuel,

I'm slightly confused with why do we need the radius of the pole ?

If the sphere sits on the pole its one point would touch the pole, hence the height of street lamp would be pole height + sphere diameter

Thus B should be sufficient correct?

Thanks in advance :-D
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50544
Re: PT #3 DS 6  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2012, 04:19
1
boomtangboy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a glass sphere, with center O, placed on top of a vertical pole that is 4 meters high. What is the height QR of the streetlight?

(1) The radius of the pole is 6 centimeters.

(2) The radius OQ of the sphere is 24 centimeters.


There is absolutely no need to actually calculate the height QR. Just notice that the height of a pole (given) and the radius of the pole completely defines (fixes) it. The same way the radius of a sphere completely defines (fixes) it. So, only if we have defined (fixed) pole and defined (fixed) sphere we can be able to say how much below the top of the pole the sphere goes, and we'll be able to calculate QR.

Both statements together provide us with the info needed: the radius of the pole and the radius of the sphere. Hence when taken together statements are sufficient.

Answer: C.

P.S. When dealing with DS problems try to avoid calculations as much as possible. Remember DS problems do not ask you to solve, but rather to determine if you are ABLE to solve and in many cases you can determine that a statement is sufficient without working out all of the math.

Hope it's clear.


Hi Bunuel,

I'm slightly confused with why do we need the radius of the pole ?

If the sphere sits on the pole its one point would touch the pole, hence the height of street lamp would be pole height + sphere diameter

Thus B should be sufficient correct?

Thanks in advance :-D


No, it does't "sit" on the pole it's placed IN the circular top of the pole (notice that the sphere is slightly below the top of the pole). Now, consider extreme case when the radius of the pole is more than the radius of the sphere, in that case the sphere will just fall into it.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 221
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2012, 22:39
Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for your reply but I have this question, may be its even silly but in your reply you assumed the pole to be hollow i.e a steel pipe but the question says pole i.e solid pole like a vaulting pole hence the chance of the sphere going into the pole is nil.

I dont know how the GMAT defines such terms cause both possibilities exist
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50544
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2012, 22:42
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for your reply but I have this question, may be its even silly but in your reply you assumed the pole to be hollow i.e a steel pipe but the question says pole i.e solid pole like a vaulting pole hence the chance of the sphere going into the pole is nil.

I dont know how the GMAT defines such terms cause both possibilities exist


Notice that the sphere is slightly below the top of the pole.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 240
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2012, 02:32
I was also confused the part that boomtangboy mentioned above.

Bunuel says that the sphere slightly goes into the pole in the picture, but should we solve the problem with the information in the Q, not the picture. The question doesn't say that the sphere slightly goes into the pole.

So confusing.... :cry:
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50544
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2012, 02:46
eybrj2 wrote:
I was also confused the part that boomtangboy mentioned above.

Bunuel says that the sphere slightly goes into the pole in the picture, but should we solve the problem with the information in the Q, not the picture. The question doesn't say that the sphere slightly goes into the pole.

So confusing.... :cry:


But the question doesn't say the opposite either: why are you assuming that the sphere and the pole have only one tangent point?

In addition if it were the case then the whole point of the drawing and the radius of the pole makes little sense, because the question just becomes about adding two quantities: length of the pole and the diameter of the sphere.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3312
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2012, 01:23
Only with what Bunuel says we have the answer C, whereas if the two figures touch each other in one point the solution was D, but when I look at this kind of statement I think that something is behind the scenes.

Too simple a question like this to say: we have the radi x 2 + height ...........this is not wonderland, this is Mordor Land.
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 97
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Nov 2014, 20:22
1
2
See that attached picture. We need both radius of the glass sphere and the pole in order to calculate the total height of the combined structure.

ANSWER: C



eybrj2 wrote:
The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a glass sphere, with center O, placed on top of a vertical pole that is 4 meters high. What is the height QR of the streetlight?

(1) The radius of the pole is 6 centimeters.

(2) The radius OQ of the sphere is 24 centimeters.

Attachments

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.14.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.14.08 PM.png [ 180.16 KiB | Viewed 3607 times ]


_________________

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.



Originally posted by pradeepss on 18 Oct 2014, 12:38.
Last edited by pradeepss on 03 Nov 2014, 20:22, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 10:51
I am still confused how the information is sufficient.

How do we calculate the c shown above? We only know that a is 6. What is the value of b?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 16:11
Bunnel, can you help me?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 97
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 20:22
1
i updated the picture...please take a look.

basically, we know that radius of pole is 6 and radius of the sphere is 24. so we can calculate the partial portion part of the radius of sphere. We can then find the needed information.

hope this helps.

annie2014 wrote:
I am still confused how the information is sufficient.

How do we calculate the c shown above? We only know that a is 6. What is the value of b?

_________________

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.


Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 468
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 23:33
1
Ans is C

1) Radius of pole = 6
We dont know the radius of light => unknown for calculating height above pole
A,D eliminated

2) Radius of light known but radius of pole unknown => unknown for calculating how much light is inside of pole ie the lower part of sphere
B eliminated

Combine

radius light =24
radius pole = 6
then how much centre of light above pole can be found by pythogoras theorm

Ht of centre above pole = √ ( 24^2-6^2 = h
Ht of light RQ = 400+h+24
sufficient
C is the Answer
Attachments

IMG_7013.JPG
IMG_7013.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 1337 times ]


_________________

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8737
Premium Member
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 21:01
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a &nbs [#permalink] 17 Sep 2018, 21:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The figure above shows a streetlight that consists of a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.