It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 33 [4], given: 0

The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:44) correct 41% (01:55) wrong based on 311 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
pic.JPG
pic.JPG [ 4.77 KiB | Viewed 10289 times ]
The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2x| + 4 for all numbers x. For which of the following functions g defined for all numbers x does the graph of g intersect the graph of f ?

A. g(x) = x - 2
B. g(x) = x + 3
C. g(x) = 2x - 2
D. g(x) = 2x + 3
E. g(x) = 3x - 2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 33 [4], given: 0

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 169 [5], given: 12

Schools: Erasmus (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.9
Re: The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2011, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Obviously, this is 3x-2 because it has the slope of 3, so it increases faster than f(x) with its slope of 2.
More formally, the right part of f(x) is given by the equation 2x+4. If graphs of 2 functions have the point of intersection then the following equation should have a solution with x>=0:
2x+4=3x-2
x=6
y=2*6+4=16

So, these lines reaaly intersect each other.
The answer is E.

If my post is useful for you not be ashamed to KUDO me!
Let kudo each other!

Kudos [?]: 169 [5], given: 12

TOEFL Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2011, 18:40
I did not get this.

y = -2x + 4

y = 2x + 4

C. g(x) = 2x - 2 and D. g(x) = 2x + 3 are || so will not intersect

Let us take g(x) = x - 2

x-2 = -2x + 4 and x - 2 = 2x + 4

=> x = 2 and x = -6

=> y = 0, and y = -8

So (1) also intersects, but the OA given is E.

Could someone please explain where I'm going wrong ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2011, 19:41
I think, I found the solution - ...

if we take the slope as tangent(x) then we notice that 60<x<90, as tan(x)=2 and tan(x)>Sqrt(3)

Now if we take answer choice (E) we get tan(x`)>2 --> angle x`>angle x

the graph g(x)=3x-2 has to cross the graph f at any given time, because of the angle property (x`) and disposition of adjacent (rise in x-coordinate) and opposite (rise in y-coordinate) sides.

all other answer choices could be parallel or placed under the graph {fixed y-coordinate in f(x)} too, they depend on the value of x. We can check simply by plugging in x=0 and x=1 into answer choices A-D.

thanks
Attachments

pic.JPG
pic.JPG [ 9.86 KiB | Viewed 10202 times ]

Last edited by zaur2010 on 28 Mar 2011, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2011, 19:45
I didn't get the right answer. But I think this what bagrettin interpretation. The x axis has slope of zero, it will never intersect f(x). If you increase the slope of g(x) it might. Howmuch depends on the slope of f(x) -it has to be greater the slope of f(x) otherwise the g(x) being slant will miss the aim.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 123

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2011, 20:00
x can have a slope of 0 and y-intercept >=6 what will happen then? the lines should cross ... may be it's better to operate with the slope(x`)>slope(x) for two functions f(x) and g(x`)
gmat1220 wrote:
I didn't get the right answer. But I think this what bagrettin interpretation. The x axis has slope of zero, it will never intersect f(x). If you increase the slope of g(x) it might. Howmuch depends on the slope of f(x) -it has to be greater the slope of f(x) otherwise the g(x) being slant will miss the aim.

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:33
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 916

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 00:02
Hi guys,

I am actually quite surprised by my capability to even come close to solving this 75% difficulty questions. The only thing I don't understand here is why we're looking for a solution in the 1st quadrant. For example, bagrettin refers to this in his solution.

Answer choices (C) and (D) offer solutions of \(-\frac{1}{2}\) and \(-\frac{7}{4}\) in the x<0 or 2nd quadrant area. Why do we not except these answers here?

Thank you!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18108 [9], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 22:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
bgpower wrote:
Hi guys,

I am actually quite surprised by my capability to even come close to solving this 75% difficulty questions. The only thing I don't understand here is why we're looking for a solution in the 1st quadrant. For example, bagrettin refers to this in his solution.

Answer choices (C) and (D) offer solutions of \(-\frac{1}{2}\) and \(-\frac{7}{4}\) in the x<0 or 2nd quadrant area. Why do we not except these answers here?

Thank you!

We are looking for intersection in the first quadrant because all lines in the given five options have positive slope. A line with positive slope definitely passes through the first and third quadrant. So we are ignoring second quadrant for the time being.

If you understand how lines are drawn on xy axis, you can do this question in 10 seconds.

The graph of f(x) is shown. The line in first quadrant has slope 2.

Let's plot all lines on the xy axis.

Attachment:
Lines and Slopes.jpg
Lines and Slopes.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 8582 times ]

We know y = x is a line making 45 degree angle with y axis and passing through the centre. Point at it in the given figure.
y = x - 2 will be two steps below it passing through (0, -2)
y = x + 3 will be two steps above it passing through (0, 3)
They both have slope 1 which is less than the slope of f(x). They will not intersect f(x).

Now hold on to y = 2x, a line passing through (0, 0) but with a steeper slope. The slope is the same as that of f(x) so it is parallel to f(x).
Both y = 2x - 2 and y = 2x + 3 (blue lines) will have slopes parallel to f(x) and will not intersect it.

The only remaining line is 3x - 2 (green line) which is steeper than f(x) and will intersect it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18108 [9], given: 236

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 15

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS
Start by checking the slopes and intercepts of all the lines. On comparison with the reference line provided, we see that the first four lines will never intersect with the given line. Only the last line will intersect because it has a steeper slope.

Kudos = Thanks

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 15

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 03:47
Thank you VeritasPrepKarishma! This was by far the clearest thing I've read on coordinate geometry! Thank you so much!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 10:09
if two lines intersect we know that we can equate the two linear equation in this 2x+4=g(x).
I'm taking only positive values of x since we are looking for a intersection in the first quad.
you can easily eliminate options C,D . As for the rest a little calculation shows a,b are out . 2x+4=x-2--> x=-6 which deosnt statisfy the equation. so is B.
upon solving E 3x-2=2x+4==>x=6 which satisfies bth equations.
@@Bunuuel Can you verfiy this approach and any other concept that can be applied.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 199

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 10:26
zaur2010 wrote:
Attachment:
pic.JPG
The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2x| + 4 for all numbers x. For which of the following functions g defined for all numbers x does the graph of g intersect the graph of f ?

A. g(x) = x - 2
B. g(x) = x + 3
C. g(x) = 2x - 2
D. g(x) = 2x + 3
E. g(x) = 3x - 2

My quick analysis-

Lines A and B have slopes which are less than the slope of f(x) and will always be below the graph.

Lines C and D are parallel to F(x).

We are left with E which has more positive slope and will definitely cut the graph at some point.

I donot mind Kudos :-D :-D :-D :-D

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Last edited by samichange on 01 Aug 2015, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1789 [1], given: 796

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
PriyankaKabbina wrote:
if two lines intersect we know that we can equate the two linear equation in this 2x+4=g(x).
I'm taking only positive values of x since we are looking for a intersection in the first quad.
you can easily eliminate options C,D . As for the rest a little calculation shows a,b are out . 2x+4=x-2--> x=-6 which deosnt statisfy the equation. so is B.
upon solving E 3x-2=2x+4==>x=6 which satisfies bth equations.
@@Bunuuel Can you verfiy this approach and any other concept that can be applied.

Couple of concepts tested in this question:

1. |x| =x for x \(\geq\) 0 . This is used to find the equation of |2x|+4 in the 1st quadrant.

2. Slope of lines y = mx+c and y = mx + b are same.
2.1: A greater value of the slope indicates a greater angle that the line makes with the positive direction of the x-axis.

Point 1 is used to find that the equation of the line in the first quadrant will be , y =2x+4 and thus its slope will be 2.

Points 2 and 2.1 are used to eliminate options A and B. Slope of x \(\pm\) a will be 1 and will thus be diverging away from line y =2x+4 (as slope of 1 < slope of 2, in the 1st quadrant).

Point 2 shows that lines in options C and D will be parallel to y =2x+4 ( as the slopes of [y = 2x \(\pm\) a] = slope of [y =2x+4]). 2 parallel lines can never intersect and thus these 2 options are eliminated.

Thus E is the only remaining answer choice.

Your method is fine for this question but the method mentioned above by me can be applied to any question related to lines in xy coordinate plane.

Kudos [?]: 1789 [1], given: 796

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1789 [0], given: 796

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 10:53
samichange wrote:
zaur2010 wrote:
Attachment:
pic.JPG

A. g(x) = x - 2
B. g(x) = x + 3
C. g(x) = 2x - 2
D. g(x) = 2x + 3
E. g(x) = 3x - 2

My quick analysis-

Lines A and B have slopes which are less than the slope of f(x) and will always be below the graph.

We are left with D which has more positive slope and will definitely cut the graph at some point.

I think you wanted to mention E instead of D.

Kudos [?]: 1789 [0], given: 796

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 11:15
Engr2012 wrote:
samichange wrote:
zaur2010 wrote:
Attachment:
pic.JPG

A. g(x) = x - 2
B. g(x) = x + 3
C. g(x) = 2x - 2
D. g(x) = 2x + 3
E. g(x) = 3x - 2

My quick analysis-

We are left with D which has more positive slope and will definitely cut the graph at some point.

I think you wanted to mention E instead of D.

Thanks for pointing out :-D :-D

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 23:58

Understanding slope would be helpful in this question .

Standard slope eq : y=mx+b

as the slope of f(x) is 2, for g(x) to intersect, the slope of g(x) needs to be bigger than 2.
(If slope is equal to 2, then it would be parallel)

Only E has the slope bigger than 2.

A. g(x) = x - 2 --> Wrong, as slope is less than 2
B. g(x) = x + 3 --> Wrong, as slope is less than 2
C. g(x) = 2x - 2 --> Wrong, as slope is not great than 2, which makes it parallel of f(x)
D. g(x) = 2x + 3 --> Wrong, as slope is not great than 2, which makes it parallel of f(x)
E. g(x) = 3x - 2 --> CORRECT, as slope is bigger than 2.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 29

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 19:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 79 [1], given: 71

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
Clearly the option E

we can see that g(x) = 3x-2 is the line which will intersect the given y=|2x|+4 at point (6,16)
and refer to the figure .
Attachments

IMG_4465.JPG
IMG_4465.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 2483 times ]

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 79 [1], given: 71

Re: The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2017, 06:38

The figure above shows the graph of a function f, defined by f(x) = |2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap