Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [12]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [10]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The figure of the jaguar, being a recurrent symbol within Olmec art [#permalink]
Kudos
Shilpi85 wrote:
The figure of the jaguar, being a recurrent symbol within Olmec art, is prominent among the hieroglyphics inscribed on a monument that was discovered in the Mexican state of Veracruz.

(A) being a recurrent symbol within
(B) a symbol having recurred within
(c) a recurring symbol in
(D) having been a symbol that recurred in
(E) recurring as it is, a symbol in

IMO, its C.

Option C is very concise & helps to easily answer the question -> "Why is the Jaguar.....a prominent symbol in Hieroglyphics?" A:"Because it is a recurring symbol in Olmec Art.

Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: The figure of the jaguar, being a recurrent symbol within Olmec art [#permalink]
IMO it is C

The way how I approached the question:

The figure of the jaguar, being a recurrent symbol within Olmec art, is prominent among the hieroglyphics inscribed on a monument that was discovered in the Mexican state of Veracruz.

I read the the sentence without the modifier to understand the sentence better and then I checked which of the given options is a best fit as a modifier.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
C uses an "appositive" and one needs to be comfortable with the usage of appositives as modifiers.

In English, appositives extend/redefine the preceding noun:

Sachin, a great player in contemporary cricket, has scored highest number of centuries in first class cricket.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Shilpi85 wrote:

(A) being a recurrent symbol within
(B) a symbol having recurred within
(c) a recurring symbol in
(D) having been a symbol that recurred in
(E) recurring as it is, a symbol in

(A) being a recurrent symbol within - Wrong: Unnecessary use of "being".
(B) a symbol having recurred within - Wrong: "having recurred" implies past tense, which is wrong since the sentence is using present tense "is".
(c) a recurring symbol in - Correct
(D) having been a symbol that recurred in - Wrong: 1) "having recurred" implies past tense, which is wrong since the sentence is using present tense "is". 2) Wordy
(E) recurring as it is, a symbol in - Wrong: Bad structure
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 2380
Send PM
Is being a gerund or a participle in option A? Why?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
The sentence can be read without the phrase being a recurrent symbol within since it is a parenthetical phrase.
It then becomes easy to identify the purpose of the phrase.

Here we can see that the phrase acts as a description for the jaguar. In other words, it is an appositive that modifies the figure of the jaguar.

We can eliminate Option A for the use of being. On the GMAT, ‘being’ always raises a red flag. But that does not mean that an answer choice with ‘being’ is incorrect. When a passive continuous verb tense is required, the use of ‘being’ is correct. For example: The injuries are being tended to …

Option B can be eliminated for the wrong tense use. We need a present tense.
Options D and E use grammatically bad construction and wrong tense. Eliminate.

Option C is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts