Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s [#permalink]
What if there was an option "integrated more closely than ever before and that."

would this be the answer instead of D ?

I feel like for comparison "integrated more closely than" is better than "more closely integrated than"

Originally posted by dory12 on 25 Dec 2020, 22:37.
Last edited by dory12 on 31 Dec 2020, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s [#permalink]
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are integrated more closely than never before and events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.

(B) closely integrated more than ever before so
(D) more closely integrated than ever before and that

Hello Dmitry, DmitryFarber

In above question, as per your explanation option B conveys that - the markets are integrated MORE FREQUENTLY than they were integrated before.
In option D, MORE is placed in-front of CLOSELY INTEGRATED and option D conveys that - the degree to which the markets are closely integrated has gone up markedly.

I saw another OG question on similar comparison but different interpretation. Question link is https://gmatclub.com/forum/today-s-tech ... 18295.html

Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their production history.

A.small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their
B.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their
C.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in
D.more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their
E.more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

In this question, in option D, MORE is placed in-front of FUEL-Efficient, but this option conveys that manufacturers are making a GREAT NUMBER of fuel efficient cars, and not cars that are more fuel efficient.

Could you please help me understand why in one question MORE is referring to Degree but in another it is referring to NUMBER instead of degree of fuel efficiency.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s [#permalink]
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are integrated more closely than never before and events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.

(A) integrated more closely than never before and X
(B) closely integrated more than ever before so X
(C) more closely integrated as never before while X
(D) more closely integrated than ever before and that CORRECT
(E) more than ever before closely integrated as X
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated
that the world’s capital markets are more closely integrated than ever before and
that events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously

Idiom:
1. that X and that Y
2. closely = adverb modify verb = integrated
Option D is the correct choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the worlds [#permalink]
I have the same issue that some people have already mentioned. yes the position of more changes the meaning but it makes sense regardless. I just felt the other factor was much more dominant. D states the two elements as different components whereas E had a cause effect relationship.

can someone confirm if the placement of more in B just changes the meaning or does it make it completely incorrect.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the worlds [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jayantalawadhi wrote:
I have the same issue that some people have already mentioned. yes the position of more changes the meaning but it makes sense regardless.

"more than ... closely integrated" is unidiomatic.

The correct form is "more [ADJ/ADV" than". You can't put "than" before the adjective/adverb.

Quote:
D states the two elements as different components whereas E had a cause effect relationship.

E can be eliminated on the basis above. ("More [ADJ/ADV] than..." is an idiomatic form that you surely know if you're proficient in English.)

Quote:
can someone confirm if the placement of more in B just changes the meaning or does it make it completely incorrect.

It doesn't follow the proper idiomatic form.

Moreover, if you're going to infer a cause/effect relationship, B gets it backwards. The only reasonable cause/effect rl goes in the opposite direction.
Capital markets respond to "events" (e.g., natural disasters, political incidents, etc)—not the other way around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Jayantalawadhi wrote:
I have the same issue that some people have already mentioned. yes the position of more changes the meaning but it makes sense regardless.

"more than ... closely integrated" is unidiomatic.

The correct form is "more [ADJ/ADV" than". You can't put "than" before the adjective/adverb.

Quote:
D states the two elements as different components whereas E had a cause effect relationship.

E can be eliminated on the basis above. ("More [ADJ/ADV] than..." is an idiomatic form that you surely know if you're proficient in English.)

Quote:

Thank you so much for responding sir.

It doesn't follow the proper idiomatic form.

Moreover, if you're going to infer a cause/effect relationship, B gets it backwards. The only reasonable cause/effect rl goes in the opposite direction.
Capital markets respond to "events" (e.g., natural disasters, political incidents, etc)—not the other way around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
I rejected B, C, and E because they fail to maintain appropriate parallelism. Is this approach correct?

Narenn
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
spaghetttti wrote:
I rejected B, C, and E because they fail to maintain appropriate parallelism. Is this approach correct?

Actually, those versions are all OK in terms of parallelism. They are all flawed because of other construction issues and because of meaning issues, as discussed in posts above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:

(A) integrated more closely than never before and -> Never is not used with before. Never can be used alone. But with before, ever should be used.
(B) closely integrated more than ever before so -> so -> Provides a reason but we are looking for two facts
(C) more closely integrated as never before while -> Never is not used with before. Never can be used alone. But with before, ever should be used.
(D) more closely integrated than ever before and that -> Correct
(E) more than ever before closely integrated as -> as -> Also provides a reason but we don't want a reason but to report facts.

How do I know that we want to report facts and not provide a reason?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts