GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Mar 2018, 14:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:48) correct 35% (00:56) wrong based on 878 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 98
Page: 667

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 47
Page: 241

The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are integrated more closely than never before and events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.

(A) integrated more closely than never before and
(B) closely integrated more than ever before so
(C) more closely integrated as never before while
(D) more closely integrated than ever before and that
(E) more than ever before closely integrated as

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Originally posted by Narenn on 01 Jan 2013, 13:11.
Last edited by bb on 17 Mar 2018, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.
Added Note and OA
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 09:43
Even I don't get this one. Coincidentally , I have the same doubt as posted by the thread starter.

The Crash demonstrated that MARKETS ARE INTEGRATED MORE THAN EVER BEFORE
AND
AS A RESULT
EVENTS ARE TRANSMITTED.

Implicitly, the markets are so integrated now than ever before that events are transmitted blah blah.....

What is wrong with option (B).

I know there is a parallel structure of ...that and ....that. However, knowing that GMAT is becoming meaning based now a days, the meaning would get preference over grammatical structure.

So first we will have to get the idea presented in the original sentence then only we can come to grammar, and IMHO my observation like thread starter's is correct.

For instance:

Original :BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages and that the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Per the meaning of this sentence we know that the DESTRUCTION LED 'people of the nearby villages went missing'.So, even if we have a "...that....that" parallel marker , we cannot justify the parallelism here.

Corrected version: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages , and THUS the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Notice the use of THUS as a connector in COMBO with AND.

I hope I would have given a better example, but I am handicapped to think a better one.

Please advise !
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 12:05
TGC wrote:
Even I don't get this one. Coincidentally , I have the same doubt as posted by the thread starter.

The Crash demonstrated that MARKETS ARE INTEGRATED MORE THAN EVER BEFORE
AND
AS A RESULT
EVENTS ARE TRANSMITTED.

Implicitly, the markets are so integrated now than ever before that events are transmitted blah blah.....

What is wrong with option (B).

I know there is a parallel structure of ...that and ....that. However, knowing that GMAT is becoming meaning based now a days, the meaning would get preference over grammatical structure.

So first we will have to get the idea presented in the original sentence then only we can come to grammar, and IMHO my observation like thread starter's is correct.

For instance:

Original :BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages and that the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Per the meaning of this sentence we know that the DESTRUCTION LED 'people of the nearby villages went missing'.So, even if we have a "...that....that" parallel marker , we cannot justify the parallelism here.

Corrected version: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages , and THUS the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Notice the use of THUS as a connector in COMBO with AND.

I hope I would have given a better example, but I am handicapped to think a better one.

Please advise !

Let me try.

Going by the meaning:

Original: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages and that the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Your interpretation of the above sentence is wrong. The above sentence means that BBC reported two things :
-> Tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages.
-> The people of the villages are missing.

So, this is the intended meaning and is the correct choice.

Your Version: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages , and THUS the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Here, this sentence is connected by Conjunction "and", thereby joining two clauses.
It implies that BBC reported some event and as a result of reporting done by BBC, the people of the villages went missing. WRONG
The people of the villages did not go missing because of the reporting done by BBC.

If you apply the above logic, Only D is the correct choice as per the meaning. Let me know if it makes sense.

The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated two things:
1) the world’s capital markets are more closely integrated than ever before
2) events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 19:49
Narenn wrote:

Hello Guys,

Thanks for taking this issue up.

I just consulted with Matt Douglas (The Host of GMATT Mondays). In his opinion, Choice D is correct because the descriptive word more properly placed ahead of the term it modifies i.e. closely integrated. Choice B is wrong for the same reason.

If more is the direct object, then it can be placed after verb but when we use more as an adjective, it should be placed ahead of the term it modifies.

Thanks

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 08:57
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are integrated more closely than never before and events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.

(A) integrated more closely than never before and -> Ever means in the previous time when comparison is done. Here we are comparing two time lines. Never -> indicates a previous time frame about an action. Never before the feat of such proportion was achieved.

(B) closely integrated more than ever before so -> So provides a reason which changes the meaning of the sentence.

(C) more closely integrated as never before while -> Never has the same issue as that of Option A. while -> means a during or a contrast , which changes the meaning.

(D) more closely integrated than ever before and that -> Proper parallelism and "ever" is correctly used for comparison.
(E) more than ever before closely integrated as -> as provides a reason which changes the meaning.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 08:41
kinjiGC wrote:

(B) closely integrated more than ever before so Wordy and Awkward

(C) more closely integrated as never before while - Incorrect

More X than Y is the correct idiom , further it maintain the " that - that " parallelism..

The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are more closely integrated than ever before and that events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.

(E) more than ever before closely integrated as - Wordy and Awkward

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 04:43
kinjiGC wrote:

One other version of the same question is : the-financial-crash-of-october-1987-demonstrated-that-the-52706.html

Parallelism, Idiom

and : it is not clear whether this and is another thing that this crash demonstrated or it is a separate fact. In the latter, it should be preceded by a comma, while in the former a 'that' is required to parallel the first 'that' after demonstrated.

'so' here indicates a result; hence, it is a coordinating conjunction (remember the FANBOYS family). When a coordinating conjunction is used to connect to independent sentences, it should be preceded by a comma.
Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2015, 22:59
b14kumar wrote:
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are integrated more closely than ever before and that events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.
(A) integrated more closely than ever before and that

Please explain.....

- Brajesh

Answer is D.

Here is what I think.

The word "more" should modify closely integrated. Therefore Option D is correct.

General Rule :
When more is the direct object------------placed after verb
When more is used as an adjective ---------------placed ahead of the term it modifies.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 05:18
1. More than never is unidiomatic, so we have B, C and E.
2. We need "that" at the end because of the previous "that".

So we have only D. OA is D.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 01:43
Yes, when we say that X is happening more than before, we are comparing how often X happens now to how often it happened before. The implied meaning of this expression is "X is happening more often than (it did) before." If we use an adjective ("closely integrated"), the same idea applies. "Our company is more X than ever before" means "Our company is more X than (it was) ever before."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 23:06
Please help me to clear 'integrated more closely' or 'more closely integrated' ?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 08:10
priyanknema wrote:
Please help me to clear 'integrated more closely' or 'more closely integrated' ?

Since position of an adverb is NOT necessarily after a verb, I really do not see why A should be better than D. In my opnion, A and D are equivalent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 10:41
The 1987 crash demonstrated two truths: that the world’s capital markets are integrated… and that events… may be transmitted. Because these two truths must be presented in grammatically parallel structure, that must be added to the second clause. The correct idiom is more than ever, not more than never.

A Second subordinate clause must begin with that; more than never is incorrect
B Moving more distorts the meaning; so is not parallel to that
C More… as never before is not correct; while is not parallel to that
D Correct. In this sentence, the two clauses are parallel, each beginning with that, and they are correctly joined with the conjunction and; the correct idiom is used.
E This word sequence is incoherent; as is not parallel to that

The correct answer is D.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 10:41

The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap