Last visit was: 24 Jul 2024, 06:00 It is currently 24 Jul 2024, 06:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1195 [13]
Given Kudos: 635
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.68
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is [#permalink]
Hello

can anyone validate my reasoning for the first three options and provide some feedback. seed can you help bro.

The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, the system of
recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions.

a. The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, the system
of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions. ( Who is the Noun modifier modifying? is it modifying accounting? The noun modifier starts from "the system ....transactions" )

b. The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, it is the system
of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions. ( Is the ambiguity of "it" is the problem in this option? Also, the antecedent of it here could be system, accounting or financial hub)

c. The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS), which is accounting, is the
system of recording, analyzing, and used to report economic transactions. ( Is this option wrong because of the meaning)

d. A system of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions, the financial hub of a business
management information system (MIS) is accounting.

e. A system of accounting is a business management information system (MIS)’s financial hub, in
that it is used to record, analyze, and report economic transactions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is [#permalink]
Rocket7 wrote:
Hello

can anyone validate my reasoning for the first three options and provide some feedback. seed can you help bro.

The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, the system of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions.

Hey Buddy, happy to help :-) . Before we go through each options just think the question from modifier and parallelism point of view. If we do so then the question becomes an easy one. In short, MIS is accounting, recording, analyzing, and reporting. This is parallel and verb+ing modifiers are referring to same "MIS". Now, let's go over each options.

a. The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, the system
of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions. ( Who is the Noun modifier modifying? is it modifying accounting? The noun modifier starts from "the system ....transactions" )

- Correct. "accounting" itself is a verb+ing modifier so another verb+ing modifer cannot modify it. The subject "MIS" is the one getting modified or say referenced by each verb+ing. In this option, all verb+ing modifier refer to same subject "MIS". Remember the point above, MIS is accounting, recording, analyzing, and reporting.

b. The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, it is the system
of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions. ( Is the ambiguity of "it" is the problem in this option? Also, the antecedent of it here could be system, accounting or financial hub)

- Incorrect. You are correct "it" is an issue here. Though the major issue is parallelism, "and" is a parallel marker which means all the terms need to be parallel which are "accounting", "recroding", "analyzing", and "reporting". If we replace "it" with "MIS" then parallelism is disturbed. "MIS" is accounting, "MIS" is the system of recording,...... is incorrect.

c. The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS), which is accounting, is the
system of recording, analyzing, and used to report economic transactions. ( Is this option wrong because of the meaning)

- Incorrect. It is incorrect both meaning wise and parallelism wise. "which" refers to "MIS" and that leads to parallelism issue as explained in option (B).

d. A system of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions, the financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting.

- Incorrect. We cannot keep "A system" far away from "MIS". This is incorrect because of meaning and structure.

e. A system of accounting is a business management information system (MIS)’s financial hub, in
- Incorrect. We cannot keep "A system" far away from "MIS" + (MIS)'s is possessive here. This is incorrect because of meaning and structure.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is [#permalink]
Rocket7

I)system after accounting clearly refers to explain about accounting which is As per meaning system of recording,analyzing etc

II)yes it is an issue here. It can refer here to accounting or financial hub not clear..

III) though it is conveying same thing about MIS is accounting it's structure is not good as compared to A in which it states the same thing in simple and subtle manner.

Hope this helps
Let me know if you further assistance

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, the system of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions.

seed wrote:

- Correct. "accounting" itself is a verb+ing modifier so another verb+ing modifer cannot modify it. The subject "MIS" is the one getting modified or say referenced by each verb+ing. In this option, all verb+ing modifier refer to same subject "MIS". Remember the point above, MIS is accounting, recording, analyzing, and reporting.

Hi, on contrary I feel accounting and not MIS is being modified here by recording, analyzing, and reporting
Quote:
accounting" itself is a verb+ing modifier so another verb+ing modifer cannot modify it
- I do not think that accounting is a modifier here, rather accounting is defining MIS, so it can be modified by the followers.

Quote:

- Incorrect. You are correct "it" is an issue here. Though the major issue is parallelism, "and" is a parallel marker which means all the terms need to be parallel which are "accounting", "recroding", "analyzing", and "reporting". If we replace "it" with "MIS" then parallelism is disturbed. "MIS" is accounting, "MIS" is the system of recording,...... is incorrect.

agreed, and this also refers that accounting is being modified by the followers

Quote:
d. A system of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions, the financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting.

Not only it is wrong as per the intended meaning of the sentence but also here financial hub is being modified, doing so is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Can someone help clear this for me please?

The financial hub of a business management information system (MIS) is accounting, the system of

of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions.
To me, this seems to refer to a list of items. That is "MIS is accounting, system of recording, analyzing, and reporting" which is an incorrect construct. It seems that seed inferred the same so it is confusing.

To me, the "it" modified accounting and not MIS, since the pronoun immediately follows 'accounting'. Therefore, I see no ambiguity.

What am I not reading correctly?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
boston wrote:

To me, this seems to refer to a list of items. That is "MIS is accounting, system of recording, analyzing, and reporting" which is an incorrect construct. It seems that seed inferred the same so it is confusing.

To me, the "it" modified accounting and not MIS, since the pronoun immediately follows 'accounting'. Therefore, I see no ambiguity.

Not an expert but B is clear no, please refer to previous post for explanation.
Just for information, verb+ing modifiers are also used to provide additional information of the previous clause hence, A is correct. + Parallelism.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
boston wrote:

boston

In A after comma ,the system...
The system here correctly modifies the "accounting" so the same is correct

B
It after comma
How you can be sure that "it" is referring to accounting, "it" here can refer to financial hub also
Since we have no clear antecedent so choice B is not appropriate

Give kudos if it helps

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1638 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
selim wrote:

system of recording
, analyzing, and used to report economic transactions.

d. A system of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions, the financial hub of a business

For me the list goes as this :

A. The financial hub ..... is accounting :
1. the system of recording
2. the system of analyzing
3. the system of economic transactions

B. "it" is ambiguous. Also, we are missing comma + conjunction. Two clauses can not be connected with comma only.

C. The financial hub....is the system.

D and E are a total mess.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
KSBGC wrote:

system of recording, analyzing, and used to report economic transactions.

Why do I feel that to anyone who does not have prior knowledge related to MIS or accounting, option A will be ambiguous or confusing while option C will convey the message more clearly?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GPA: 4
Send PM
KSBGC wrote:

system of recording, analyzing, and used to report economic transactions.

I got confused about A and E. When understanding the sentence, I interpreted this, "Financial hub of MIS is accounting, which is the system
of recording, analyzing, and reporting economic transactions." According to this interpretation, Financial Hub is Accounting and Accounting is a system of recording analyzing and reporting.

When looking at the options, A and E were the only options that seemed grammatically correct. It came down to the meaning.
While A says that the Financial Hub of MIS is Accounting, recording, analyzing and reporting, which changes the whole meaning.
E sounds wordy, but it actually makes more sense as it has perfect parallelism between "to record, analyze and report", it also stays to the meaning.

So hence i chose E.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts