GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 15:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54440
The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 00:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:43) correct 56% (02:01) wrong based on 87 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the masses, and government cannot satisfy those wants unless it is informed about what those wants are. Freedom of speech ensures that such information will reach the ears of government officials. Therefore, freedom of speech is indispensable for a healthy state.

Which one of the following, if true, would NOT undermine the conclusion of the argument?

(A) People most often do not know what they genuinely want.
(B) Freedom of speech tends ultimately to undermine social order, and social order is a prerequisite for satisfying the wants of the masses.
(C) The proper function of government is not to satisfy wants, but to provide equality of opportunity.
(D) Freedom of speech is not sufficient for satisfying the wants of the masses: social order is necessary as well.
(E) Rulers already know what the people want.

_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jun 2014
Posts: 46
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 11:43
1
Govt should fulfil public's genuine needs - by listening to all-so freedom of speech is essential to run a healthy state


(A) People most often do not know what they genuinely want. - Then how people will convey their needs to govt, it is not possible only by freedom of speech, Govt definitely finds a way to make people understand their needs first...undermining the conclusion
(B) Freedom of speech tends ultimately to undermine social order, and social order is a prerequisite for satisfying the wants of the masses......social order required to satisfy wants..FOS undermines social order ..THUS undermines the conclusion
(C) The proper function of government is not to satisfy wants, but to provide equality of opportunity.....FOS means to provide equal opportunity to all to speak whatever they want..thus supporting our conclusion..CORRECT
(D) Freedom of speech is not sufficient for satisfying the wants of the masses: social order is necessary as well....directly undermines the conclusion
(E) Rulers already know what the people want....So Govt doesn't need FOS to know what people wants thus FOS is not essential


Please give KUDOS if you find it helpful
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 122
CAT Tests
Re: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 21:11
Bunuel wrote:
The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the masses, and government cannot satisfy those wants unless it is informed about what those wants are. Freedom of speech ensures that such information will reach the ears of government officials. Therefore, freedom of speech is indispensable for a healthy state.

Which one of the following, if true, would NOT undermine the conclusion of the argument?

(A) People most often do not know what they genuinely want.
(B) Freedom of speech tends ultimately to undermine social order, and social order is a prerequisite for satisfying the wants of the masses.
(C) The proper function of government is not to satisfy wants, but to provide equality of opportunity.
(D) Freedom of speech is not sufficient for satisfying the wants of the masses: social order is necessary as well.
(E) Rulers already know what the people want.


Bunuel please explain, why D is wrong, and why C is correct even when it directly and clearly contradicts the function of the government that is mentioned in the statement.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 88
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.8
Re: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 21:16
Freedom of speech is not sufficient for satisfying the wants of the masses
It means it is not the only condition for satisfying the wants of the masses. So, it does not undermine the conclusion.
I would go with option D.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jun 2014
Posts: 46
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 00:07
Conclusion is Freedom of speech is absolutely necessary for a healthy state.

D is telling Freedom of speech is not sufficient to satisfy masses wants which is govt's responsibility....Then how is it not undermining the conclusion???
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2019
Posts: 11
Re: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 00:58
janadipesh wrote:
Conclusion is Freedom of speech is absolutely necessary for a healthy state.

D is telling Freedom of speech is not sufficient to satisfy masses wants which is govt's responsibility....Then how is it not undermining the conclusion???


D weakens the conclusion .... As it states that there is one more creteria exist....not the freedom of speech...also they use necessary to point out that

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2018
Posts: 22
Re: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 08:00
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:
janadipesh wrote:
Conclusion is Freedom of speech is absolutely necessary for a healthy state.

D is telling Freedom of speech is not sufficient to satisfy masses wants which is govt's responsibility....Then how is it not undermining the conclusion???


D weakens the conclusion .... As it states that there is one more creteria exist....not the freedom of speech...also they use necessary to point out that

Posted from my mobile device

even if there is one more criteria , the conclusion did not say that freedom of speech is the one and only criteria :? all it said that it's necessary , and D doesn't undermine that ,
Dear Bunuel
can you explain why D is wrong ?
Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2019, 08:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The function of government is to satisfy the genuine wants of the mass

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.