Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [77]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [25]
Given Kudos: 659
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [6]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [4]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: The effect of voters previously stated preference regarding the issue [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

In the graph, the vertical axis shows probabilities of voting in accordance with previously stated preferences, with greater probabilities represented higher on the axis. Thus, how apt the members of a party are to vote according to their previously stated preference is shown in the graph by how high the data points are that represent that party. The data points representing the Delta party are higher than the data points representing all the other parties except at the far left of the graph, where only the data point representing the Zeta party is higher. But because less than 10 percent of the Delta and Zeta parties' voters had a previously stated preference against the issue, this data has little effect on voters' overall likelihood to vote according to their previously stated preference. Therefore, members of the Delta party were most apt to vote according to their previously stated preference.

The correct answer is Delta.

In the graph, the heights of the data points above the word "against" indicate how likely the members of the various parties who previously stated they were against working-time reduction are to vote against it. Above the word "against," on the far left of the graph, the data point representing the Zeta party is higher than any of the points representing any of the other parties. Thus, members of the Zeta party are the most apt to vote against working-time reduction if they previously stated they were against it.

The correct answer is Zeta.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [2]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: The effect of voters previously stated preference regarding the issue [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1)C,Delta will be chosen as most apt party since it's graph is rising towards the for area with the maximum value when compared with that of other parties.

2)D,Zeta are most apt for working against since they are having highest preference in that area,when looking at their past

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
We need to find out most apt to vote according to previous stated preference
Sigma(~0.55)
Theta(0.60)
Delta(0.80)
Zeta(0.70)

So answer is C

2.most opt to vote against
A. Sigma (0.55)
B. Theta (0.60)
C. Delta(0.60)
D. Zeta (0.70)

answer is D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: Sloan '23 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
For each party shown in the graph, less than 10% of that party's voters had a previously stated preference against the issue.

What is the meaning of this sentence?
How does one use this information to answerthe questions?

chetan2u GMATNinja VeritasPrepBrian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinja2 need your help to understand the ques.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
1. Members of the_____________party are most apt to vote according to their previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction.
What's asked is which teams previously stated reference/actual preference is the highest, => which party voted for in the previously stated reference and in the actual preference.
=> the probability for such team would be highest.
Thus, we can infer from the graph, that the probability is maximum for Delta party (~ 0.8).

Answer C.

2. Members of the______________party are most apt to vote against the issue of working-time reduction if their previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction was also against.

The party which would be most apt to vote against, would be which has a higher probability in against and a lesser one in for.
From the graph,we can infer that the in case of against the Zeta has the highest probability which goes from 0.70 to 0.45, => Zeta's party members are most apt to vote against if their previous vote was also against.

Answer D.

bm2201

I have a doubt in Q1, when we say previously stated pref. how do we know if it was for or against

Pls clarify!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys, completely confused with the graph. Can someone please help explain how to interpret the graph?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
GDT wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
1. Members of the_____________party are most apt to vote according to their previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction.
What's asked is which teams previously stated reference/actual preference is the highest, => which party voted for in the previously stated reference and in the actual preference.
=> the probability for such team would be highest.
Thus, we can infer from the graph, that the probability is maximum for Delta party (~ 0.8).

Answer C.

2. Members of the______________party are most apt to vote against the issue of working-time reduction if their previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction was also against.

The party which would be most apt to vote against, would be which has a higher probability in against and a lesser one in for.
From the graph,we can infer that the in case of against the Zeta has the highest probability which goes from 0.70 to 0.45, => Zeta's party members are most apt to vote against if their previous vote was also against.

Answer D.

bm2201

I have a doubt in Q1, when we say previously stated pref. how do we know if it was for or against

Pls clarify!

It does not matter what were their preferences For or Against.

There are two points:
- The graph shows the effect of voters’ previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction
- You have to choose Party, whose members most apt to vote according to their previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction.

In other words what party has the highest probability ?

Concerning the you doubts, if Zeta depicted the highest number Against for instance 85% in lieu of 70% , then Zeta would be a leader.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Maninder23091991 wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
prashant9390 wrote:
Hi guys, completely confused with the graph. Can someone please help explain how to interpret the graph?

Same here. Can't understand the solutions if graph interpretation isn't understood. Assistance appreciated
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.14
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
AndrewN Can you please decipher this? Not sure what they're trying to say here.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
AlphaCentauri4ly wrote:

Hello, AlphaCentauri4ly. I spent a bit of time myself deciphering the first question, but then the task was easy. I will outline my thought process below.

Quote:

The graph itself provides two pieces of information under the title "Working-Time Reduction":

• probability of vote
  • issue preference (for/against)

We can see that there are four different parties, in addition to a group labeled "No Preference." The only part of the question stem that remains enigmatic is previously stated preference. If I cannot find such information directly in the graph, I consult the paragraph above it. Here, the first line provides the key information:

Quote:
The graph shows the effect of voters’ previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction on the probability of those voters’ actual choice being the same...

Basically, the y-axis indicates the probability that preference will match vote. (Remember, a probability can only go to 1.00, or 100 percent.) Now, since the question asks us to find the party most apt to vote according to its preference, we are simply looking to identify the group with the strongest correlation on the y-axis. You can go through each data point if you prefer:

Quote:
A. Sigma (blue circle: ~0.54, 0.55, 0.55, 0.55, 0.54)
B. Theta (black square: 0.60, ~0.58, 0.51, 0.49, 0.41)
C. Delta (open circle: 0.60, ~0.69, 0.73, 0.78, 0.81)
D. Zeta (orange triangle: 0.70, 0.65, 0.60, ~0.52, 0.47)

We can see that Delta has the highest overall correlation, not only by average, but also by individual point, so there can be little doubt that the answer is (C).

Since we put in the legwork for the first question, the second one ought to be easy.

Quote:

Boiled down, this question is looking for the group with the strongest correlation between against (preference) and against (vote). The x-axis tells us that those most strongly against the issue, by preference, lie to the left, and if we look at that left-most data point for each group, we get the following:

Quote:
A. Sigma (blue circle: ~0.54)
B. Theta (black square: 0.60)
C. Delta (open circle: 0.60)
D. Zeta (orange triangle: 0.70)

Since the highest value is 0.70, the group we are looking for must be Zeta, and the answer is (D).

The phrasing of both questions sounds a bit formal or antiquated—apt to is not in common usage, although it might appear in a newspaper story or a book.

Perhaps that sheds some light on the matter. Thank you for thinking to ask, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.14
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
AlphaCentauri4ly wrote:

Hello, AlphaCentauri4ly. I spent a bit of time myself deciphering the first question, but then the task was easy. I will outline my thought process below.

Quote:

The graph itself provides two pieces of information under the title "Working-Time Reduction":

• probability of vote

We can see that there are four different parties, in addition to a group labeled "No Preference." The only part of the question stem that remains enigmatic is previously stated preference. If I cannot find such information directly in the graph, I consult the paragraph above it. Here, the first line provides the key information:

Quote:
The graph shows the effect of voters’ previously stated preference regarding the issue of working-time reduction on the probability of those voters’ actual choice being the same...

Basically, the y-axis indicates the probability that preference will match vote. (Remember, a probability can only go to 1.00, or 100 percent.) Now, since the question asks us to find the party most apt to vote according to its preference, we are simply looking to identify the group with the strongest correlation on the y-axis. You can go through each data point if you prefer:

Quote:

We can see that Delta has the highest overall correlation, not only by average, but also by individual point, so there can be little doubt that the answer is (C).

Since we put in the legwork for the first question, the second one ought to be easy.

Quote:

Boiled down, this question is looking for the group with the strongest correlation between against (preference) and against (vote). The x-axis tells us that those most strongly against the issue, by preference, lie to the left, and if we look at that left-most data point for each group, we get the following:

Quote:

Since the highest value is 0.70, the group we are looking for must be Zeta, and the answer is (D).

The phrasing of both questions sounds a bit formal or antiquated—apt to is not in common usage, although it might appear in a newspaper story or a book.

Perhaps that sheds some light on the matter. Thank you for thinking to ask, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thank you ANDREW. I misconstrued the first question to be asking which group is "most consistent" in voting for their stated preference, so I marked 'A'. The language does seem a little archaic and cryptic. I was lost in the wordiness of the prompt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I really think this graph makes no sense.

Would it be fair to say the X-Axis is (interpolating the values):
Against
Leans Against
Undecided
Leans For
For

That would suggest that the Zeta middle point at 0.60 means "60% of the cohort that is the intersection of Zeta party and undecided voted undecided" which makes no sense at all.
The only way the chart makes sense if the Y axis was a probability of a "for" or "against" vote.

This question should be replaced.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
AlphaCentauri4ly wrote:

Quote:

• probability of vote

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN,

Would you please help to explain the graph? Take Delta Group for example, I don't understand about why we have 5 data points (perhaps time-series) and how to interpret those points (except for the first and last: 1. against 0.6, for 0.4; 5. against 0.2, for 0.8).

Thank you
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
tinbq wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

Would you please help to explain the graph? Take Delta Group for example, I don't understand about why we have 5 data points (perhaps time-series) and how to interpret those points (except for the first and last: 1. against 0.6, for 0.4; 5. against 0.2, for 0.8).

Thank you

Hello, tinbq. If we look at the five values for Delta listed in the graph from left to right, we get, approximately, 0.60—0.69—0.73—0.78—0.81. According to the y-axis, these numbers correspond to the probability of a Delta party member casting a vote. But you should be asking yourself, What kind of vote? The x-axis tells us: a preference for or against an issue. Since there are five dashes on the x-axis, we can reasonably interpret the middle one as neutral. The one on the far left is against, so the one in between that and the center dash is likely moderately against or something similar. We can apply the same logic to the right side, in which the dashes would be moderately for and for. Putting it all together, then, we can reasonably interpret the information for Delta party members as follows:

0.60—the probability of a given member who feels strongly against an issue casting a vote against that issue

0.69—the probability of a given member who feels moderately against an issue casting a vote against that issue

0.73—the probability of a given member who feels neutral about an issue casting a vote on that issue (whether for or against)

0.78—the probability of a given member who feels moderately for an issue casting a vote for that issue

0.81—the probability of a given member who feels strongly for an issue casting a vote for that issue

Thus, there appears to be a strong correlation between the preference a Delta party member has indicated and the vote that person eventually casts concerning that issue. No other range of probabilities shows as high a correlation. (Zeta would be second, with correlations between 0.70 and about 0.47. Apparently, these party members are more apt to vote if they are against an issue.)

Perhaps the graph makes more sense now. These IR questions take some getting used to, but do not worry about speed, especially at first. Take the time to understand them as best you can, and you will find that subsequent questions do not seem as challenging. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
tinbq wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

Thank you

Hello, tinbq. If we look at the five values for Delta listed in the graph from left to right, we get, approximately, 0.60—0.69—0.73—0.78—0.81. According to the y-axis, these numbers correspond to the probability of a Delta party member casting a vote. But you should be asking yourself, What kind of vote? The x-axis tells us: a preference for or against an issue. Since there are five dashes on the x-axis, we can reasonably interpret the middle one as neutral. The one on the far left is against, so the one in between that and the center dash is likely moderately against or something similar. We can apply the same logic to the right side, in which the dashes would be moderately for and for. Putting it all together, then, we can reasonably interpret the information for Delta party members as follows:

0.60—the probability of a given member who feels strongly against an issue casting a vote against that issue

0.69—the probability of a given member who feels moderately against an issue casting a vote against that issue

0.73—the probability of a given member who feels neutral about an issue casting a vote on that issue (whether for or against)

0.78—the probability of a given member who feels moderately for an issue casting a vote for that issue

0.81—the probability of a given member who feels strongly for an issue casting a vote for that issue

Thus, there appears to be a strong correlation between the preference a Delta party member has indicated and the vote that person eventually casts concerning that issue. No other range of probabilities shows as high a correlation. (Zeta would be second, with correlations between 0.70 and about 0.47. Apparently, these party members are more apt to vote if they are against an issue.)

Perhaps the graph makes more sense now. These IR questions take some getting used to, but do not worry about speed, especially at first. Take the time to understand them as best you can, and you will find that subsequent questions do not seem as challenging. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Hi ANDREW,

Thank you so much for your explanation. This is my first time seeing this graph, which is complicated by its wordings. If the narrative simply says that the graph shows the correlation between predicted and actual vote as you explained, then things would be much easier.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11178 posts