GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 17:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 411
The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2014, 14:35
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (00:53) correct 32% (00:59) wrong based on 245 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente Medellín is emblazoned with five stars, each representing one of the club's five national titles.

A) each representing one of the club's
B) each of which represent one of its
C) each one representing one of their
D) all of which represent one of the club's
E) each of them represents one of its

OE:
It uses an absolute phrase ("each representing…") to refer to the stars, correctly using the indefinite pronoun "each" to indicate that each individual star separately represents one of the team's titles. In addition, the sentence avoids pronoun issues by using the specific noun "the club's" to ensure clarity.


Hi, can anyone explain why E is wrong, please.
I guess it is because the sentence has pronouns "them" and "its" which makes this sentence ambiguous?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Trying to beat the gmat
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Re: The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2014, 15:44
Hi, goodyear2013 IMO E is wrong because the word "its" is ambiguous and have no antecedent, it is supposed to refers to the club, but as you are seeming on the the beginning of the sentence we are talking about the Jersey, and the jersey does not win any title.

I hope it helps
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Location: Canada
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2014, 19:28
4
goodyear2013 wrote:
The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente Medellín is emblazoned with five stars, each representing one of the club's five national titles.

A) each representing one of the club's
B) each of which represent one of its
C) each one representing one of their
D) all of which represent one of the club's
E) each of them represents one of its

OE:
It uses an absolute phrase ("each representing…") to refer to the stars, correctly using the indefinite pronoun "each" to indicate that each individual star separately represents one of the team's titles. In addition, the sentence avoids pronoun issues by using the specific noun "the club's" to ensure clarity.


Hi, can anyone explain why E is wrong, please.
I guess it is because the sentence has pronouns "them" and "its" which makes this sentence ambiguous?


"it's" refers back to "each" of the star. Now a star cannot have subtitles right? it has to be the club! "each" is singular and so is the "club". so options C and E are wrong. Now with B "each" and "represent" dont comply with each other. So now it comes down to A and D. D changes the meaning to all the starts representing one title. Whereas A says each star representing one of the club's title.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: Fighting Again to bell the CAT
Joined: 28 Aug 2016
Posts: 34
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.61
The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente Medellín is embl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 16:24
The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente Medellín is emblazoned with five stars, each representing one of the club's five national titles.

each representing one of the club's
each of which represent one of its
each one representing one of their
all of which represent one of the club's
each of them represents one of its
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 41
Re: The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 15:34
1
The main problem with E is that we have a run-on sentence !
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 149
Location: Taiwan
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Re: The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 06:17
(E) has two independent clauses with no ";" nor a conjunction

stop focusing on ambiguous pronouns lol
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Mar 2018
Posts: 206
Re: The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 01:17
Manhattan Prep OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This sentence is grammatically correct and is also clear in terms of meaning. It uses an absolute phrase ("each representing…") to refer to the stars, correctly using the indefinite pronoun "each" to indicate that each individual star separately represents one of the team's titles. In addition, the sentence avoids pronoun issues by using the specific noun "the club's" to ensure clarity.

(A) CORRECT. This sentence is correct, for the reasons provided in the paragraph above.

(B) The plural verb “represent” does not agree with the subject “each (of which)”, which is singular.

(C) "Independiente Medellín" and "club" are singular nouns, so the plural pronoun "their" has no referent.

(D) This sentence, while grammatically sound, changes the meaning; it suggests that all five of the stars on the team's jersey represent the same title (and thus that the other four titles are not represented at all).

(E) In this sentence, the words after the comma ("each of them represents…") form a complete sentence by themselves, creating a run-on sentence overall.
_________________
Please mention my name in your valuable replies.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2018
Posts: 19
CAT Tests
The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 May 2019, 11:14
lary301254M7 wrote:
(E) has two independent clauses with no ";" nor a conjunction

stop focusing on ambiguous pronouns lol



Hi lary301254M7,
Is that the problem? I understand the phrase "Each of them represents..." as a modifier.

Same thing happens in the correct sentence: "Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, each of which displays a unique wing pattern". "Each of which..." is a modifier too.

For me the error of this answer is referred to the incorrect use of the pronoun "it".

Thank you in advance for your comments!

Best,
Rodrigo.

Originally posted by rszarate on 01 May 2019, 09:48.
Last edited by rszarate on 05 May 2019, 11:14, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2018
Posts: 19
CAT Tests
The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 10:22
itisSheldon wrote:
Manhattan Prep OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This sentence is grammatically correct and is also clear in terms of meaning. It uses an absolute phrase ("each representing…") to refer to the stars, correctly using the indefinite pronoun "each" to indicate that each individual star separately represents one of the team's titles. In addition, the sentence avoids pronoun issues by using the specific noun "the club's" to ensure clarity.

(A) CORRECT. This sentence is correct, for the reasons provided in the paragraph above.

(B) The plural verb “represent” does not agree with the subject “each (of which)”, which is singular.

(C) "Independiente Medellín" and "club" are singular nouns, so the plural pronoun "their" has no referent.

(D) This sentence, while grammatically sound, changes the meaning; it suggests that all five of the stars on the team's jersey represent the same title (and thus that the other four titles are not represented at all).

(E) In this sentence, the words after the comma ("each of them represents…") form a complete sentence by themselves, creating a run-on sentence overall.



Hi everyone,
The correct sentence "Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, each of which displays a unique wing pattern." drove me crazy!

"each of them...", like "each of which...", is acting as a modifier or as a dependent clause?

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Rodrigo.
GMAT Club Bot
The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente   [#permalink] 01 May 2019, 10:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The jersey of the Colombian soccer club Independiente

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne