GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2011, 05:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:30) correct 32% (01:35) wrong based on 1127 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the confederacy, which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between other tribes.

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between
(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among
(C) tribes who interacted with one another more often than with
(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between
(E) tribes, interacting among one another more often than with
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User
The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2012, 15:40
Here in the sentence we are talking about a cluster (more than 2 units/groups) , whenever we compare more than 2 things we use 'one another' and when we compare between two things/people/groups we use 'each other' .

To illustrate:X and Y were great friends and interacted with each other more than they interacted with acquaintances (2 people)
X,Y,A,and B were great friends and interacted with one another more than they interacted with acquaintances (more than 2 people)

and the idiomatic usage is 'interact with' not interact among. Hope this helps.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2011, 07:01
siddhans wrote:
Spoiler: :: my doubt
Please explain using elimination and also why is A wrong?

The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the confederacy, which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between other tribes.

A. tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between
B. tribes who interacted among each other more often than among
C. tribes who interacted with one another more often than with
D. tribes, interacting among each other more often than between
E. tribes, interacting among one another more often than with

the reduced sentence looks like this.
[strike]The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-[/strike]the confederacy[strike], which[/strike] was a cluster of loosely knit[strike],informally related neighboring[/strike] tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between other tribes.

now, in a group people can interact "with one another", "amongst one another" whereas two people interact "with each other" . Never can a group interact "with themselves". NEVER. so A,B is out
C and D do not satisfy the grammar in the reduced sentence. they are clearly wrong.
only option C is left.
C is lucid and clear.

Ans. C

hope my explanation helped.
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Re: The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2011, 07:22
+ 1 for C
Interacted with--> correct idiom . So we are left with A and C. Now in A we have between , which is used for between we have 2 parties. For choose between A and B.

Therefore we are left with C .

Press Kudos if you like my post :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2012, 17:24
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2012, 12:06

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 08:54
We interact "with" one another and also interact "with" someone else. So, we need "with" two times.

C is the only one using "with" two times.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 23:51
Top Contributor
You can't use discuss 'between' other tribes because there are more than two tribes in the US. Yet gain, if one is not part of the other tribes, one can't discuss among the others. 'Interacted with' is the correct idiom in the second part rather than 'between' or 'among' in the given context.
In addition, to match this parallelly, we need another 'interacted with' in the first part. This combo we have only in C, which is the correct answer
GMAT SC is not about just knowing either grammar or meaning. It is about applying your knowledge in the Test Hall, the art of GMAT SC-- If you want to learn that art, then either call +91 9884544509 or contact <newnaren@gmail.com>
VP
VP
V
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 06:46
Answer is C
correct idiom is interact with
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 00:39
"interact with" is idiomatically correct; anything else is unidiomatic; eliminate B, D, and E.

Choice A makes the same error; it ends with "between", while the correct idiom demands "with" (i.e., we need "interact...with" not "interact...between"); eliminate A.

All four wrong answers use the wrong idiom; choice C is the only one that uses "interact with" both times.

Choose C.
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 06:41
Dear daagh ,

Could you explain why "who" is correct?

I thought that "who" is only used for people, so you cannot use "who" modifying companies, tribus, or other things that aren't a person.

Thank you so much.
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 05:16
Top Contributor
guillemgc wrote

Quote:
One of the meanings of tribe is a group of people as given in the link below

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tribe

3. A group of people sharing an occupation, interest, or habit: a tribe of graduate students.

In effect, whether The Kwakiutl or the confederacy for that matter refers to the people of the group; therefore, it may be acceptable to use 'who' for referring to the tribes.

On the other hand, if we were to consider, comma plus interacting as the modifier, the question is what that participle can modify. It can only modify the Kwakiutl's recognition as the interacting element among one another, which doesn't make much sense
GMAT SC is not about just knowing either grammar or meaning. It is about applying your knowledge in the Test Hall, the art of GMAT SC-- If you want to learn that art, then either call +91 9884544509 or contact <newnaren@gmail.com>
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 01:06

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between

"Between other tribes" is wrong. Between is used for interaction between two entities only. Plus that confederacy interacted with themselves does not make sense.

(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among

"interacting among other tribes" is wrong

"Seems okay. Hold" is wrong

(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between

Same as A.

"Verb-ing is wrong" is wrong
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 01:27
Can anyone explain the inteded meaning of the sentence? I am not able to understand at all what this sentence ir trying to say...
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2019, 04:02

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between- usage of between
(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among - usage of among
(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between- usage of between

1. I was in a fix between options C and E but chose the incorrect answer because I thought that "who" can't to tribes and we need which or that.( who can be only used for people )
If the usage of 'who' is correct here, then 'who' should be able to refer to other collective nouns such as a team, group etc?

2. In option E, the verb-ing 'interacting' should make sense with
a. which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes-- verb-ing 'interacting' tries to refer to the subject of the previous clause which was..
b. or does the verb-ing modifier ' interacting' skips over the preceding main clause the Kwakiuti... ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , daagh ,other experts - please enlighten
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 15:03
Skywalker18 wrote:

(A) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between- usage of between
(B) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among - usage of among
(D) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between- usage of between

1. I was in a fix between options C and E but chose the incorrect answer because I thought that "who" can't to tribes and we need which or that.( who can be only used for people )
If the usage of 'who' is correct here, then 'who' should be able to refer to other collective nouns such as a team, group etc?
generis

Skywalker18
Well, until I saw this question, my answer would have been:
No, because who is used to refer only to nouns that are actually human beings.
That said, I can understand why GMAC used who in this case.

Which nouns are interacting? Individual members of the tribes.
The tribes themselves as a whole would not interact unless one whole tribe were negotiating a treaty with another whole tribe, for example, or were arranging an alliance with another whole tribe.
The people in the tribes are interacting.
I am okay with the use of who in this case and context.

Quote:
then 'who' should be able to refer to other collective nouns such as a team, group etc

No, I would not go that far. One exception does not a make a rule.
If the context were similar to this one (individual members interact and it's kinda weird to think of one whole group "interacting" with another whole group), then those other words you listed might be able to take "who."

GMAT does not test the group THAT/who issue very often.
Furthermore, as far as I can recall, GMAT has not used who in this way in any other question.

Quote:
2. In option E, the verb-ing 'interacting' should make sense with
a. which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes-- verb-ing 'interacting' tries to refer to the subject of the previous clausewhich was..
b. or does the verb-ing modifier ' interacting' skips over [TO?] the preceding main clause the Kwakiuti... ?

I think you are asking which clause the adverbial modifier "interacting among. . ." applies to.
I think you are also implying that "interacting" in (E) does not make a lot of sense. (If so, you are correct.)

Yes, your (a) is correct. "Interacting" modifies the immediately preceding clause, and thus refers to which was.
Which, in turn, refers to confederacy.
And now the modifier makes no sense.
The confederacy . . ., interacting among one another . . .
The confederacy does not interact with or among anything or anyone.

Regarding your (b): If the participle "interacting" could reach "The Kwakiutl recognized . . . " —doubtful, and the modifier interacting is still nonsensical.

Answer (C) is better.

These questions are good. I hope that analysis helps.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -- Margaret Mead
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 11:20
egmat can you please explain what does verb-ing modifiers in option D and E modify. I did read all the explanations above, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around the issue as yet.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2020, 11:20

The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe-the conf

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics