Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB
Send PM
Re: The legal system of Kyrgyzstan after acquiring independence from the S [#permalink]
I need help in this question, why not E
As Kyrgyzstan acquired independence but not the legal system correct me if I am wrong.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: The legal system of Kyrgyzstan after acquiring independence from the S [#permalink]
Experts please comment on this!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Kudos
I believe the mistake in E is because of the 'After' in the first part and the 'has' in the second, with Kyrgyzstan becoming the subject.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
E is wrong but how is C the correct answer?

C. After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, the legal system of Kyrgyzstan includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also of the French legal system

does this not mean that "the legal system of K got independence from the soviet block" Shouldn't it be K that got independence from the soviet block?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
sayansarkar wrote:
E is wrong but how is C the correct answer?

C. After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, the legal system of Kyrgyzstan includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also of the French legal system

does this not mean that "the legal system of K got independence from the soviet block" Shouldn't it be K that got independence from the soviet block?

I too agree. I was confused with A and E
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
(C). After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, the legal system of Kyrgyzstan includes features (not ok)
Is it a day to day occurring general phenomena like "after rising from east, Sun travels towards west". Option C implies that acquiring independence is a regular practice and after that Kyrgyzstan includes something.

(E). After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, Kyrgyzstan has a legal system that includes features (ok)
This option is grammatically correct. Meaning wise it is presenting a fact that Kyrgyzstan has a legal system and they got it after acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc.
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Again....Why not E! I think Option C has a modifier error
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 4
Send PM
@Daagh can you please quote some explanation as to why the answer is C???? According to me it has modifier error.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Even I choose E over C. how ever, is the comparison right in E? legal system is compared to French. I could only spot this difference between two. Also as OG says, E is too wordy. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
As per definition from dictionary, "bloc" is a group of persons, businesses, legislators, or nations united for a particular purpose. Thus, "acquire independence from the Soviet bloc" cannot refer to "system". --> Incorrect modifier???

Expert, please help to clarify why C is correct!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMatAspirerCA wrote:
Even I choose E over C. how ever, is the comparison right in E? legal system is compared to French. I could only spot this difference between two. Also as OG says, E is too wordy. :)

The answer in my opinion is E. C has a modifier problem that has already been pointed out. E does not have a parallelism problem.

Kyrgyzstan has a legal system that includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also of the French.

Krygyzstan's legal system is compared to that of Russia and French. You don't need to add 'legal system' to French to make it parallel...doing so will only be repetitive. The use of not only and but also takes care of that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
C is certainly not the answer; it must have been a typo; E is the choice; moderators may please edit the OA in the spoiler; sorry for the inadvertence

daagh

Originally posted by daagh on 07 Jan 2015, 20:09.
Last edited by daagh on 12 Jan 2015, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Here E is the right option...

Please do read the sentences closely... Its the Kyrgyzstan which got freedom from Soviet bloc... Not the legal system of Kyrgyzstan... Other option but E gives the meaning that legal system of Kyrgyzstan got freedom from Soviet bloc.. Only E corrects that error..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The legal system of Kyrgyzstan after acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also the French legal system

(A). The legal system of Kyrgyzstan after acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also the French legal system

(B). The legal system of Kyrgyzstan after acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc includes features not only of the Russian legal system but of also the French legal system

(C). After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, the legal system of Kyrgyzstan includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also of the French legal system

(D). After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, the legal system of Kyrgyzstan includes features of not only the Russian legal system but also of the French legal system

(E). After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, Kyrgyzstan has a legal system that includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also of the French

Daagh,

(E). After acquiring independence from the Soviet bloc, Kyrgyzstan has a legal system that includes features not only of the Russian legal system but also of the French[/quote]

I completely agree with 'E'. But what if the answer choice is 'but also of the French legal system'?

Should we say it is wordy?

Thanks,
A :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Arun,
Hi
Yes, It will be wordy.
daagh
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts