Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Schools:Kellogg
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink]
lufesouza wrote:
mbahopeful2012 wrote:
lufesouza wrote:
Has anyone attended the event in NYC?
Any news about visas ???

The school probably doesn't know much more than we do. The visa situation is in a state of flux and there is no point worrying about it until things are finalized. However, the admissions rep did say that they would inform all admitted (only?) students once they have a better handle on the situation.

Did u attend the event? Did they specifically say sth about it?
They said they d have news by earlt Feb.

One person asked about it at the end of the panel discussion. The admissions rep basically said that they would send out info when they have it and asked the questioner to talk to her separately.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The school probably doesn't know much more than we do. The visa situation is in a state of flux and there is no point worrying about it until things are finalized. However, the admissions rep did say that they would inform all admitted (only?) students once they have a better handle on the situation.[/quote]
Did u attend the event? Did they specifically say sth about it?
They said they d have news by earlt Feb.[/quote]

One person asked about it at the end of the panel discussion. The admissions rep basically said that they would send out info when they have it and asked the questioner to talk to her separately.[/quote]
Thx
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Does anyone know the weight that attending to these events has on the final decision?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
lufesouza wrote:
Does anyone know the weight that attending to these events has on the final decision?

I was invited to an event in San Francisco. It was organized by the local alumni club president and they decided to invite the applicants of the area too. I don't think that it makes any difference on the final decision because there is no sign in sheet or anything like that. However, it's a great opportunity to talk casually with alumni and get more insight into the school. I personally really enjoyed it ;)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:LBS
GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
Send PM
lufesouza wrote:

i have attended several info events (not club events) in London and there was a sign-in list every time and adcoms reminded several times in the beginning to check the name on the list. they take the names during drop in events as well. and i have read in some forum that someone received an email from LBS after not attending the event she/he registered for. it was sth like "..we have seen you did not attend the event on..., feel free to contact us anyway..."
i personally dont think this makes a big difference but they keep track of it for some reason..

but BSEB is right, this is great opportunity to meet people
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hi,

If anyone is from bangalore, India who has interviewed in R1 or has been invited in R2, please pm me if you don't mind discussing few questions.

I am anxious about my interview, although I have not received any details yet.

Thanks,
zimzamzum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:London Business School (Admitted), INSEAD (ding w/ interview), Cambridge (Admitted), HEC (Admitted)
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 9 yrs in supply chain with experience in 4 countries
Send PM
Does anyone know if the Shadowing Project is still available for the Sept 2011 intake. The information on the Shadowing project used to be part of the "Major Projects" page on the LBS website (https://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/programmedetails/majorprojects.html) It is not listed anymore and I was wondering if it has been discontinued? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
thfc wrote:
Does anyone know if the Shadowing Project is still available for the Sept 2011 intake. The information on the Shadowing project used to be part of the "Major Projects" page on the LBS website (https://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/programmedetails/majorprojects.html) It is not listed anymore and I was wondering if it has been discontinued? Thanks

Also interested...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:London Business School (Admitted), INSEAD (ding w/ interview), Cambridge (Admitted), HEC (Admitted)
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 9 yrs in supply chain with experience in 4 countries
Send PM
I had a question on the proposed changes to UK job visas. If the government proposal does go through, it will mean non-EU MBA students would almost surely have to work outside the UK post-MBA.

What about the summer internships though? Would LBS students still be able to look for internships in the UK or would they need to search for internship opportunities outside? As per the website, 67% of MBA students did their internships in the UK last year...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Please refer to UK visa discussions thread here. This is a more generic (not just LBS) issue and there is a lot of misinformation around it.

uk-work-visa-abolished-for-internationals-108300.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello bsd_lover,
I am not sure why we shouldn't share visa issues on this thread. I understand that its a generic issue but I only care about LBS because in my opinion its the only European school comparable to US schools and so the only one I am considering. It was said on this thread earlier that LBS keeps its current students up to date (with whatever info it has) on the issue but apparantly it doesn't want the prospective students to know about it. In a recent event at New York when a student raised the visa question, the adcom asked them to discuss it separately eventhough issues concerned most present in the room.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Please refer to UK visa discussions thread here. This is a more generic (not just LBS) issue and there is a lot of misinformation around it.

uk-work-visa-abolished-for-internationals-108300.html

I don't think you are helping anybody's cause by repeatedly making light (if I may say so) of a very serious issue. By calling "generic" something that will most likely hurt certain LBS students directly either through the (very likely) 20,700 cap on Tier 2, 1000 cap on Tier 1 and reduction in 2 year post study automatic visa, is just "misinforming" applicant pool. Forgive me for these strong words, but I find your posts unhelpful on this issue.

Originally posted by Tradeoff on 14 Feb 2011, 20:51.
Last edited by Tradeoff on 16 Feb 2011, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Let me rephrase - UK visa issues affect Oxbridge LBS UCL Imperial Manchester Warwick Cass (and others) equally. There is no point in discussing the same topic with the same messages/concerns in every school specific thread. So please use and refer to the master thread for the comprehensive discussion. Your question may have already been answered or discussed there.

I fully understand the gravity of the situation for potential applicants - however, until the legislation is formally passed and articulated in detail, any point I make is as speculative as the next guy's. Posting ifs, buts, thens, maybes and other hypotheticals are hardly any more helpful than posting anything at all. There is some good discussion on the master thread including a link to recent speech made by Damian Green that contains clues about how the final immigration legislation may look like for students. Check it out.

I haven't followed this thread recently, however any notion that the school or current students have some kind of "inside information" on the immigration issue is a total myth.

Tradeoff wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/uk-work-visa- ... 08300.html

I don't think you are helping anybody's cause by repeatedly making light (if I may say so) a very serious issue. By calling "generic" something that will most likely hurt certain LBS students directly either through the (very likely) 20,700 cap on Tier 2, 1000 cap on Tier 1 and reduction in 2 year post study automatic visa, is just "misinforming" applicant pool.
Forgive me for these strong words, but I find your posts very unhelpful on this issue.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
People who will/was interviewed in London, were you interviewed by an alumnus or by adcom?
Did you have the chance to see the campus and attend a class ?
I am located in the US, and I was wondering whether it should be worth flying over there for the interview.
I appreciate any comment/answer.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
lufesouza wrote:
People who will/was interviewed in London, were you interviewed by an alumnus or by adcom?
I am located in the US, and I was wondering whether it should be worth flying over there for the interview.

I think it was written somewhere in the app that if you are not based in London then you should interview in the city that you are located in.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The most common interview method is via an alumnus in a location close to the applicant. They try to pair you up with an alumnus with similar background/industry etc. so I personally think its better to interview with the alumnus where you'll have more of an opportunity to establish a connection (as opposed to interviewing directly with admissions). You can of course always fly out to London to get the feel for the city / classes during admits weekend (or if you happen to come here for travel or business).

lufesouza wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, I will get location of my alumnus in a week or so; however I might I have travel to a completely different location next 3 weeks (not sure yet). Any idea how LBS might be able to help me out on this?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  42   43   44   45   46   47   48  ...  68   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts