GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- wh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Mar 2019, 00:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (01:32) correct 77% (01:50) wrong based on 881 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- where brothers slit each other's throats in a gory race to kinghood - can and does not seem appalling; but still does.

A. can and does not seem appalling; but still does.

B. can and does seem appalling; but still does not.

C. should and does seem appalling; and still does.

D. can and do not seem appalling; but still do.

E. may and does seem appalling; but still doesn't do so.

Originally posted by sajini on 24 Sep 2012, 07:19.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Mar 2019, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 22:51
catalysis wrote:
I have no idea what the sentence is saying...

The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- where brothers slit each other's throats in a gory race to kinghood - can and does not seem appalling; but still does.

While reading the question stem, we see that a portion of the sentence is dashed. This is called an "em dash" or a "dash" and it replaces commas, semicolons, colons, and parentheses to indicate added emphasis, an interruption, or an abrupt change of thought. The info provided between the dashes gives additional information about sibling rivalry. For convenience, you can ignore the same. The construction is now as follows.

The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history can and does not seem appalling; but still does.

Further breaking it down (or rather expanding it - by placing the omitted verb + object)

The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history can seem appalling, and does not seem appalling; but still does.

can seem appalling and does not seem appalling - doesn't make sense.
can seem appalling and does seem appalling; but still does not - doesn't make sense again
should seem appalling and does seem appalling; and still does - Good enough.
can seem appalling and do not seem appalling - doesn't make sense again
may seem appalling and does seem appalling; but still doesn't do so - wordy (after semicolon) and doesn't make any sense.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

General Discussion
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
Re: The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 21:52
I have no idea what the sentence is saying...
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 08:55
The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history - where brothers slit each other's throats in a gory race to kinghood - can and does not seem appalling; but still does.

misnomer suggests contrast in meaning.
Sth seems sth but it does not.............................is the structure of sentence.

so ignoring the additional info about past history in the form of modifier.
The sentence is

The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history can and does not seem appalling; but still does.
misnomer reg sibling rivalry is singular subject and needs a singular verb does not plural verb do.
so D is out.
and in option C does not indicate needed contrast. hence C is out.
can and does seem are parallel wheras can and does not seem are not parallel.
so A is out.

Misnomer seems appalling; There is no action or event to say mis does not do so.

but still doesn't do so in E does not make sense.
So B.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Sep 2018, 01:06
Convoluted sentence with several negatives. But considering that ‘can’ means capacity, the combination can seem appalling looks dubious. Does the word ‘sibling rivalry' have the capacity to appear shocking? After all, sibling rivalry is no more than a word. So why it is a wrong name or why it should be shocking is anybody’s wonder.

So I think 'can' does not a have a locus standi in the circumstances. So I make bold to dump A, B, and D. Between C and E, I would prefer C because E uses ‘but and still’, a redundancy.
Incidentally, what does ‘past’ history mean? Is there a present history or future history?

Unfathomable question.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Originally posted by daagh on 18 Oct 2015, 09:13.
Last edited by daagh on 14 Sep 2018, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: #Top150 SC: The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past'  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 01:06
This is not a good one! The subject of the sentence is "misnomer," so what seems appalling is the misnomer, not the action? That makes no sense. There is also no misnomer in this sentence. (Look up the word.) What else? "'Past' history" is redundant. "Where brothers . . . " follows "history" and so should be modifying that, not sibling rivalrly. Then, as Aditya pointed out, we should have commas in place of semicolons in every answer choice.

I could probably go on, but in short, do not try to learn English grammar or GMAT SC from this sentence!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 08:15
Please provide a step by step explanation to this question. Why is E wrong ?

" The few , the fearless "

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 04:31
spetznaz wrote:
Please provide a step by step explanation to this question. Why is E wrong ?

Severely flawed question - the part after the semicolon must be a complete independent clause. Hence all options are wrong in the first place. The relative pronoun "where" must refer to a place, not "history". In GMAT "should" indicates a moral obligation. "Still" introduces a contrast, but in OA (C), there is none.

There are too many errors in this question - it seems to be from an unauthentic source.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 00:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- wh   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2019, 00:06

The misnomer that sibling rivalry is a thing of the 'past' history- wh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap