Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [5]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V48
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink]
Excellent post Cano. One of the most insightful ones that I've read on this forum.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
-

Originally posted by osbornecox on 03 Dec 2010, 23:51.
Last edited by osbornecox on 15 Dec 2010, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Great post.

cano wrote:
Haha, how funny that US people laugh at other ways of making your CV. I'm myself surprised because it seems that only in the US the trend is to focus on accomplishments and avoid everything else.

I lived and worked in 3 different continents, and most of the formats I've seen and was required to write were the long CV with lots of personal information, sometimes including pictures.

I'm not defending this style, but maybe just explaining the usefulness. Keep in mind the main difference between a US resume and another country CV: achievements vs. information.

The driver license for example, may look weird to put it in your resume because it's an easy exam (you don't brag about it), but believe me, in other countries were not everyone knows how to drive a car (for different reasons varying from a different transportation system, manual transmission cars only, the family of an individual never owned a car, other cultural differences - in some countries is rare to see women driving) that information is really useful. Once we hired a project manager and relocated him to a remote location were there was no other transportation than our 4 wheel drive jeep. Most of us in the administration drove the cars of the organization and were fine about it. We were surprised that only after he relocated he revealed to us that he didn't know how to drive and that we had to hire a driver for him!!! (in some countries, it's usual to have a driver so the boss can still speak on the phone while traveling, or can just rest, besides it's a showcase of hierarchy or prestige if he can afford it). We had a very restricted budget for that location and it turned out very bad not knowing that info. I know that you can find out about it in the interview, but since we had few CVs for that position we made a direct decision and hired him because he was by far the best candidate and didn't interview most of the applicants.

In some countries you pay compensations to the employees for each dependent of the family (spouse, children), and other allowances for school age kids, some of them in a monthly basis, other once a year (for example when the school starts), other occasionally (when a child is born) so it's a must when reviewing candidates for a position to know in advance those details in order to budget properly. Usually, when applying for a job the candidate sends a letter to show his interest plus the CV. So, that personal information will go to the CV and before interviewing the candidate you already know it. If you can't afford under the law to pay for a specific position all the allowances for a number of dependents, then you save time not interviewing the candidates with most number of dependents. It really makes sense and for me it's not funny at all, but I can understand why you find it surprising. In one country I worked, when the wife gets pregnant you pay a compensation of about 6 months and keep the position available for her if she decides to return for 2 years, so if you hired someone else for that position you have to move around the people in the office to comply with the law. If you are hiring a woman 32 years old that got married 3 months ago, then you know she will work for you few months before taking the leave (since she won't wait many years to have kids as she is getting old for that). In that setting, it's imperative to know this information.

About the picture: I read once in a Carnegie book the story of Abraham Lincoln that after interviewing a person and sending him away, his assistants asked him: "why if he looked like a good fit for the job?" A. L. said: "I just didn't like his face." His assistants replied: "well, what can he do about it?" A. L. replied: "after 30, a person is responsible for his face." If you pay attention to the faces of people, some characteristics will show you whether the person smiles often, gets angry often, is boring, etc. Those characteristics only deepen with time. If you are the interviewer and see 2 almost identical CV, you can already have some insights if you have the pictures of the candidates before the interview. I know this feature is on decline and recently I haven't seen many CVs with pictures on them, but in the past it was common. I also remember some companies requiring you to hand write your CV (that was some years ago), they would not take another option. The same reason: some people believe that your hand writing shows traits of your personality, character, etc.

I think it's ok to laugh about a poor CV if written by a fellow of your country, because it shows that he doesn't know what he's doing. If you're laughing at how others did it in other countries, then for me it just shows how narrow your knowledge is and how little international exposure you have. In a anthropology seminar I attended I learned that people who can't adjust to another culture are those who are not open minded enough to understand the possibility that things are done different in other places and that is ok. In the CV case, I think that other countries have other customs for a reason, otherwise they wouldn't do it that way, don't you agree?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
is there a working link for this book? Link on first page is expired.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
thanks for sharing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
Picture and marital status, what is this a dating service? :lol:

That euopean perhaps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Any other recommendations on good links for good information on resumes?
Found this one but can find many other good ones
https://www.yoursampleresume.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
agold wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen,

I present to you another gem that I have found through my skillful Google searches. I do not believe this one is copyrighted or in any way illegal, but if it is we can take it down.

Old link broken.
New link found: https://www.scribd.com/doc/59526558/Resume-Book-GBC-2008

Beware, it is about 6MB and takes a few minutes to download.

Can you please post a pdf? Don't have a scribd account :(
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3