GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

     February 17, 2019

     February 17, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

     February 18, 2019

     February 18, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

The most important concern in the minds of social media users

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 10 Apr 2018
Posts: 182
The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 20:57
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:24) correct 34% (01:45) wrong based on 172 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The most important concern in the minds of social media users is the protection of their privacy. Accordingly, as per the privacy policy released to customers, most social media companies use the latest 256-bit encryption techniques to transmit and store user data. However, recent tests done by several security companies show that 128-bit encryption is sufficient for all practical purposes. Hence, if data security is the only objective, then by switching to the older and cheaper 128-bit encryption, media companies can increase their overall profits without compromising on the security of user data.

Which of the following, if true, argues against the suggested change in the encryption techniques?

(A) Surveys have shown that customers are also concerned about whether paid accounts at social media websites offer better features than do free accounts.

(B) Most smartphones and tablets still use 128-bit encryption techniques and do not support the 256-bit versions.

(C)Although the companies will realize net cost benefits by switching to the 128-bit encryption technique, the companies will have to bear the initial cost of installing the new technique.

(D)Most consumers do not read the privacy policy of the social media network they are active on.

(E)Customer surveys indicate that most users would switch their social networks in case of any perceived downgrade of security features.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 21:26
A- irrelevantl as talks abt free accounts
B-support the conclusion
C-dont know about the initial cost of installation is higher or lower than switching to technology

D- irrelevant

E- correct

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2018
Posts: 41
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Education)
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 01:33
1
The most important concern in the minds of social media users is the protection of their privacy. Accordingly, as per the privacy policy released to customers, most social media companies use the latest 256-bit encryption techniques to transmit and store user data. However, recent tests done by several security companies show that 128-bit encryption is sufficient for all practical purposes. Hence, if data security is the only objective, then by switching to the older and cheaper 128-bit encryption, media companies can increase their overall profits without compromising on the security of user data.

Which of the following, if true, argues against the suggested change in the encryption techniques?
>>> Weaken the argument

(A) Surveys have shown that customers are also concerned about whether paid accounts at social media websites offer better features than do free accounts.
Irrelevant. We are talking only about whether companies should switch from 256 to 128-bit encryption.

(B) Most smartphones and tablets still use 128-bit encryption techniques and do not support the 256-bit versions.
Wrong, because it strengthens the argument instead of weakening it.

(C)Although the companies will realize net cost benefits by switching to the 128-bit encryption technique, the companies will have to bear the initial cost of installing the new technique.
In simple English: it will cost some money to switch to 128, but in the end it will be worth it ("the companies will realize net cost benefits").
The text says:
Quote:
by switching to the older and cheaper 128-bit encryption, media companies can increase their overall profits

Therefore option C strengthens the argument instead of weakening it.

(D)Most consumers do not read the privacy policy of the social media network they are active on.
Irrelevant.

(E)Customer surveys indicate that most users would switch their social networks in case of any perceived downgrade of security features.
The correct answer. If users find out that their favorite social media website has downgraded from 256 to 128, they will leave the website en masse, thus damaging its profitability significantly. That's a very strong reason not to switch to 128.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2018
Posts: 23
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 09:10
The conclusion of the argument is that media companies can increase their overall profits without compromising on the security of user data.

The option that weaken or argue against this this conclusion the most is E.

A) Irrelevant.
B) This actually strengthen the argument
C) The companies will realize the 'net cost benefit', so this supports the conclusion
D) Irrelevant
E) So, if users would switch their account on knowing that the company is downgrading from 256-bit encryption to 126-bit, they will switch their account which results is revenue forgone and also lower profits (even losses). SO THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.
_________________

Regards,
Bashdeep


Let's study and grow together
If the answer helped you, be generous and hit +1 Kudos

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2018
Posts: 13
Location: Morocco
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V17
Reviews Badge
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 12:50
why would the " E" be correct !
why do we have to worry about the number of users that social media may lose ! it is not cited in the passage that this account to that social media ! so why do we need to worry about that criterion
On the other hand, the passage talk about costs and security, and option " C " adresses the cost in the manner that, switching the security technique would impose additional costs even if the overall profits would increase

correct me !
Orion Director of Academics
User avatar
S
Joined: 19 Jul 2018
Posts: 97
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 12:58
1
Hey ffsalek --

Take a look at the question you're being asked to answer here -- you're looking for an answer that will argue AGAINST changing the encryption techniques. (C) is wrong because even though there are some costs up front, you are told that costs would decrease and benefits would increase. Since that would actually support changing encryption techniques, it's the exact opposite of what you're looking for.

You can either get to (E) by process of elimination (C is already out, A has no bearing on the discussion of encryption, B supports the idea that they should switch encryption methods, and D supports the idea that it doesn't matter to consumers, leaving only E) or by taking stock of the logical implications of E: if most users would switch social media networks if they perceived a downgrade in security measures (of which 128 versus 256 would be an example), then switching might mean that the social media company would lose over half of their users, something that is likely to decrease profits - this is an argument against switching, so (E) is correct.
_________________

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2018
Posts: 13
Location: Morocco
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V17
Reviews Badge
The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 13:10
[highlight][/highlight]
LauraOrion wrote:
Hey ffsalek --

Take a look at the question you're being asked to answer here -- you're looking for an answer that will argue AGAINST changing the encryption techniques. (C) is wrong because even though there are some costs up front, you are told that costs would decrease and benefits would increase. Since that would actually support changing encryption techniques, it's the exact opposite of what you're looking for.

You can either get to (E) by process of elimination (C is already out, A has no bearing on the discussion of encryption, B supports the idea that they should switch encryption methods, and D supports the idea that it doesn't matter to consumers, leaving only E) or by taking stock of the logical implications of E: if most users would switch social media networks if they perceived a downgrade in security measures (of which 128 versus 256 would be an example), then switching might mean that the social media company would lose over half of their users, something that is likely to decrease profits - this is an argument against switching, so (E) is correct.


LauraOrion
I would like to thank you for your response, You are right about hte fact that "C" should be eliminated but, Don't you think that we need to assume that" loosing SOME customers imply loosing benefits " this must be assumed to choose "E" as an answer, for example even if we loose some customers, who told us that the other ones that stays would not generate more profits than they did before in the manner that they compensate the loss of benefits generated by the loss of those customers that leaved because of the downgrade ! normally we should make such additional assumption to choose " E" . All in all " E" stays the best choice among the five
Orion Director of Academics
User avatar
S
Joined: 19 Jul 2018
Posts: 97
The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 13:19
It's definitely the best answer that's there, but your instincts are (in general) good if you're questioning the link between the number of users and profits. However, in the absence of knowing anything about whether the remaining users are going to lead to increased profit/user (which has no reason to change but definitely could), then this is an argument for not switching.
_________________

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2018
Posts: 13
Location: Morocco
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V17
Reviews Badge
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 13:24
LauraOrion wrote:
It's definitely the best answer that's there, but your instincts are (in general) good if you're questioning the link between the number of users and profits. However, in the absence of knowing anything about whether the remaining users are going to lead to increased profit/user (which has no reason to change but definitely could), then this is an argument for not switching.


Thank you so much for your help and clarifications
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 10 Apr 2018
Posts: 182
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 13:34
ffsalek wrote:
[highlight][/highlight]
LauraOrion wrote:
Hey ffsalek --

Take a look at the question you're being asked to answer here -- you're looking for an answer that will argue AGAINST changing the encryption techniques. (C) is wrong because even though there are some costs up front, you are told that costs would decrease and benefits would increase. Since that would actually support changing encryption techniques, it's the exact opposite of what you're looking for.

You can either get to (E) by process of elimination (C is already out, A has no bearing on the discussion of encryption, B supports the idea that they should switch encryption methods, and D supports the idea that it doesn't matter to consumers, leaving only E) or by taking stock of the logical implications of E: if most users would switch social media networks if they perceived a downgrade in security measures (of which 128 versus 256 would be an example), then switching might mean that the social media company would lose over half of their users, something that is likely to decrease profits - this is an argument against switching, so (E) is correct.


LauraOrion
I would like to thank you for your response, You are right about hte fact that "C" should be eliminated but, Don't you think that we need to assume that" loosing SOME customers imply loosing benefits " this must be assumed to choose "E" as an answer, for example even if we loose some customers, who told us that the other ones that stays would not generate more profits than they did before in the manner that they compensate the loss of benefits generated by the loss of those customers that leaved because of the downgrade ! normally we should make such additional assumption to choose " E" . All in all " E" stays the best choice among the five


Hi ffsalek

Well what does option E imply:

Customer surveys indicate that most users would switch their social networks in case of any perceived downgrade of security features.

Essentially it says mostusers ( more than 51% ) of users would switch from that site . Now if more users switch then companies subscribe base decreases. This would directly impact their business.
Even if the left over customers increase their activity (say spending ) still the company would have lost because of lost customers had they stayed and did the same spending , then the overall profit would increase.

Its like this today we have 100 Customers. and each is worth 10$,
Say 50 customers loose and remaining 50 customers stay and say now each is worth at least 20$

the company profit would be 1000$ and but had it been other wise it would have been 1000$ because of 50 customers whose worth is now 20 $ and 50 customers whose worth is 10$.

i know the numbers are small,but when the same are in millions the effect is huge.

Hope this helps
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The most important concern in the minds of social media users   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 13:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The most important concern in the minds of social media users

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.