Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 854
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, toda [#permalink]
In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.
(A) In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.
Comparison is done between Literature and Greeks, an Illogical comparison. Hence Incorrect.
(B) In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, the literature of today’s Greeks are containing nothing worth describing.
Use of plural verb ARE for singular noun Literature is incorrect. Moreover, the option is WORDY. Hence Incorrect.
(C) Compared to that of the ancient Greeks, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.
Comparison is done between Literature and Greeks, an Illogical comparison. Hence Incorrect.
(D) Compared to that of the ancient Greeks, the literature of today’s Greeks is not worth describing.
CORRECT

(E) Compared to the ancient Greek’s literature, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, toda [#permalink]
SajjadAhmad wrote:
In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.

(A) In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.
(B) In comparison with the literature created by the ancient Greeks, the literature of today’s Greeks are containing nothing worth describing.
(C) Compared to that of the ancient Greeks, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.
(D) Compared to that of the ancient Greeks, the literature of today’s Greeks is not worth describing.
(E) Compared to the ancient Greek’s literature, today’s Greeks have written nothing worth describing.

Master GMAT

We're comparing the literature of today's Greeks with Ancient Greeks. Any other comparison can be eliminated.

A - OUT.
B - SV Disagreement. Literature is singular, and are is plural.
C - OUT.
D - Correct, Keep.
E - OUT.

D is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
Correct answer is D. it is the only option where Ancient Greek literature is compared to literate written by greek's today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE:Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
How D can be the answer?
"Compared to" is used to compare dissimilar objects. "Compared with"is used to compare similar objects.

In D, "compared to" is used to compare the similar object(Literature vs Literature). This is also an error. Am I right?

If I am wrong, can "compared to" is used to comparing similar and dissimilar object?

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
@imyuva- if I may be allowed to quote Veritas prep ... on sentence correction some questions are above our pay grade. The instructor referred this to idiomatic use. It's great to know a lot of idioms but if you look closely in the sentence we can get to correct answer without the idiom. Here is how:

A compares literature with Greeks--- out

Choice C and D have same mistake. Out

Now between B & D...
Both correctly compare literature to literature. But B has SV error. Literature is singular. In B it is incorrectly used as are.

D is hence correct.

Now I don't know the compared to vs compared with rule. And I am sure, the test writers want us to focus on this while a simple way exists to answer the question.

That's my two cents.

@Gmatninja, @gmatninja2, @broall, @mikemcgarry can you help with the compared to and compared with rule. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N900 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos